Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Hello All (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44401)

DickB 26th February 2017 07:24 PM

Hello All

I am a brand new member of Olympus System Talk UK and I wanted to introduce myself.

I have been shooting nature scenes, birds and wildlife in North America for a decade or so digitally. I switched from Nikon gear to Olympus about two years ago when I was hauling a D800 with 500mm and a tripod and limberly up a mountain in Yellowstone National Park at 8500 feet elevation. A friend and I decided that mirrorless is a better way to go, especially on the back. I bet this is similar experience to many in this group.

I now am trying to set up my Oly EM-1 ii for different scenarios. C1 for shooting single shots, C2 for Action and C3 for testing settings.

I appreciate the Spreadsheet for keeping track of the settings. This will be very helpful.

So hello all,

DickB*yes

Beagletorque 26th February 2017 08:49 PM

Re: Hello All

Welcome on board! Looking forward to seeing some photos of Yellowstone!

OM USer 27th February 2017 12:59 PM

A warm welcome Dick.

Graham_of_Rainham 27th February 2017 05:58 PM

Hello, welcome to the Forum

*chr

benvendetta 27th February 2017 06:42 PM

And a big welcome from me too!

Greytop 27th February 2017 09:34 PM

Hello Dick,

Welcome to the forum.

edmund473 28th February 2017 10:00 AM

Welcome Dick you will like this site nice people.

drmarkf 28th February 2017 12:34 PM

Welcome: this is by far the best source of friendly, helpful and real-life Olympus information on the interwebs!

Quite a few of us have moved to m4/3 from DSLR and/or other large sensor systems (or else we once dabbled with them, but no longer) for the reason you quote. Ageing backs are a right pain.

Of course, one then realizes that the compromises that have to be made in ultimate image quality with m4/3 are insignificant to most people most of the time. They are also countered by some very significant advantages resulting from the small sensor and maturity of the system.

A lot of full-frame landscape photographers would find life a lot more comfortable if they only allowed themselves to realise that their manhoods (or womanhoods) would not be diminished by using a smaller sensor...

Kit has huge cachet, most of which is merely photographic jewellery. For example, every year I go to the Landscape Photographer of the Year exhibition in London, and barely a single winning image (out of the hundred or so per year) is ever taken at an aperture wider than f5.6, yet 100% of the lenses are f2.8s. That's a lot of heavy glass being humped uselessly up and down them there hills ;-)

MJ224 28th February 2017 01:03 PM

Another welcome and Hello..

Look forward to seeing your photos with your new EM1...........

Tripleteer 28th February 2017 03:38 PM

Welcome aboard Matey, I'm a noob too and I am finding lots of good info on here, Paul.

Phill D 1st March 2017 08:09 AM

Welcome from me too.

Mdb2 5th March 2017 10:28 AM

Welcome from me also
Kind regards Mike

Harold Gough 8th March 2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 407665)
A lot of full-frame landscape photographers would find life a lot more comfortable if they only allowed themselves to realise that their manhoods (or womanhoods) would not be diminished by using a smaller sensor...

They are still steeped in shame for not using medium format.:D

Dick,

It's great here. I spend far too much time online here. There are lots of for sale ads too.

Harold

DickB 8th March 2017 12:31 PM

Wonderful reply. Is my manhood diminished by a smaller sensor, I am not certain, but my back is much happier.

DickB:rolleyes:

Wee man 8th March 2017 10:31 PM

Hello and welcome. In response to the above question just go with the old saying it is not the size it's what you do with it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk