Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Events (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What will you be doing/buying at this year's Photography Show? (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47412)

Ian 12th March 2018 12:13 PM

What will you be doing/buying at this year's Photography Show?

There is a separate thread already concerning the show here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47051

..but I thought I'd ask everyone what they are hoping to get out of the show, especially what they are hoping to get in the way of special deals :)

Last year Olympus gave away a retro leather bag. Would you go for something like that again or prefer a special show price on the cameras and lenses?

What accessories will you be hoping to go home with?

It's only 5 days to go!

Ian

Ricoh 12th March 2018 01:18 PM

Re: What will you be doing/buying at this year's Photography Show?

Having a foot in both analogue and digital, is there anything there of interest to a film photographer?

Ian 12th March 2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 442356)
Having a foot in both analogue and digital, is there anything there of interest to a film photographer?

Very little, to be honest. Harman Technology are usually there and they have some black and white Ilford products to show. I can't actually think of anything else apart from accessories that work for both analogue and digital cameras!

Ian

090657 12th March 2018 02:21 PM

A free camera clean on the Olympus stand hopefully!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 442355)
There is a separate thread already concerning the show here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47051

..but I thought I'd ask everyone what they are hoping to get out of the show, especially what they are hoping to get in the way of special deals :)

Last year Olympus gave away a retro leather bag. Would you go for something like that again or prefer a special show price on the cameras and lenses?

What accessories will you be hoping to go home with?

It's only 5 days to go!

Ian

Ricoh 12th March 2018 02:32 PM

If Ralph Gibson was giving a talk, taking questions, I would definitely go along. I'd ask him how he has transitioned from film to digital. If you listen to him he says photographers should learn the language of the medium. He spent 55 years learning the language of film, and now more recently he is learning the language of digital which he enjoys very much.

No one really talks about the 'language', but it is quite important.

bassman 12th March 2018 05:11 PM

Good thread Ian : I'll be there on Monday, really hoping to come home with a 300mm f4 pro, naturally price will be a major factor.

Mark

Ian 12th March 2018 05:52 PM

What level of discounts do you think will be realistic at the show and do you all already have the camera you need, so will the focus be more on lenses and accessories?

Ian

MJ224 12th March 2018 06:48 PM

Really hope I don't get tempted into buying more expensive gear. In reality I have all I need for the mo', and just need to work out how to get the best out of it.

I am going to the show for two reasons, to meet fellow forumites, see the faces behind the worms, and to listen to several talks. The BIF at the Canon stand will be good if I can get close enough, and hopefully the Marcus Clackson talk on the Oly stand.

I might bring a small portable seat, as last year I was drooping considerably by midday.

Just have to see what Oly tempt us with as wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll..*chr

bassman 12th March 2018 07:13 PM

Level of discounts is a difficult one to answer ! There's the level or price that would make me crawl through people's legs, to get to the front of the queue and then level I'd expect, based on previous shows.. I'm gonna be bold a say around the 20% mark.

I was a relatively early adopter of the E-M1 Mark II , this year will be looking for the 300mm f4, various accessories, talks , demonstrations and meeting as many fellow forum members as time allows.

Mark

rsh1960 12th March 2018 08:10 PM

Hoping for an EM1 mk2 if there is a good offer at the show, maybe the grip included.

timboo 12th March 2018 08:15 PM

Do Lee usually have stand with offers there?

sapper 12th March 2018 08:31 PM

Lee misty filter, new bag for starters.

Ian 12th March 2018 09:44 PM

I do remember seeing Lee at the show before. I'm not sure they actually sold off their stand though.

Ian

Ian 12th March 2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsh1960 (Post 442381)
Hoping for an EM1 mk2 if there is a good offer at the show, maybe the grip included.

What would be a viable offer price?

Ian

drmarkf 12th March 2018 11:53 PM

Iím going to have a good look at the practicalities of the Peak Design 30L backpack as a carryon bag, and check exactly what m4/3 kit will fit in.

Iíd like a nice deal on the 17 f1.2, but am happy to wait a while unless itís at least £100 cheaper than the current cashback deal (which ends at the end of this week, strangely enough!).

Iím also going to do a good hunt and tryout for E-M1ii L-brackets, to see exactly how much each really restricts the rear screen movement.

Thatís about it on gear, although if the A7iii is there and itís possible to get close to it Iíd like to have a play and try out its real-life ergonomics (like, how long it takes to wake up from sleep, and whether you can configure the dials and buttons to do a larger range of useful functions than the Ďiií models).

Last year I got the 300 at £1699 from Calumet at the show, a UK main dealer new price I havenít seen beaten since.