Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Software (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   CaptureOne 11 (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46717)

Greytop 1st December 2017 05:20 PM

CaptureOne 11
 
Doesn't seem that long ago that version 10 was released.
Anyone given 11 a whirl yet?

Ross the fiddler 2nd December 2017 02:42 AM

Re: CaptureOne 11
 
Is it worth 'giving a whirl'? This time I will skip it considering it is offering the same upgrade price for CO9 users as CO10 users & hopefully go for CO12 next time (if it has features etc that I want).

*chr

griffljg 2nd December 2017 05:02 AM

Re: CaptureOne 11
 
I don't know if it is worth "giving it a whirl". I upgraded as soon and the upgrade was available. - All of AUD192.48.

Rather than try out any of the new features, I decided to try it out on some photos which I took in downtown Brisbane yesterday (Friday 1 Dec). That worked fine and most things worked much as in CaptureOne 10.

Then I decided to export a whole lot of images which I had taken during a visit to New Zealand for an Engineers conference in mid-2015. I had used an Olympus OM-D E-M1, a Canon EOS 6D and an Olympus XZ-2. Just over half-way through the export, the whole system crashed. A couple of reboots later (to clear up any stray files) and I had another try..... Same again! My system is an Apple iMac 27" with 12GB RAM, an internal 2TB hard drive and an external Thunderbolt 4TB hard drive on which I keep my photos.

Next, I tried my 15" Retina Screen MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM, a 768GB Solid State Drive and an external 4TB Thunderbolt hard drive on which I store my photos. It is looking as if it might well go the whole way through.

Edit: It HAS gone the whole way through.

So either there is a problem with my iMac, or else CaptureOne Pro has a problem with a Mac with only 12GB RAM.

I am hoping for an update soon.

Greytop 2nd December 2017 09:53 AM

Re: CaptureOne 11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 434278)
Is it worth 'giving a whirl'? This time I will skip it considering it is offering the same upgrade price for CO9 users as CO10 users & hopefully go for CO12 next time (if it has features etc that I want).

*chr

My thinking too Ross. I have read a few users are having issues on their dedicated forum so I think I'll stick with 10.21 for the moment. Might take another look a few months into the new year or hold off until 12.

Sorry to hear of your problems Larry, I hope they issue a patch soon.

bassman 2nd December 2017 09:21 PM

Re: CaptureOne 11
 
I'd class myself as a very novice user of CapturOne, despite that I've kept up to date and I just couldn't resist the upgrade to version 11. Did that last night and experienced things being a bit slow but whole pc was struggling all evening.

Had a few minutes earlier tonight and it was absolutely fine, just quick and smooth as previous version, I'm running pc Windows 10 and 16gb ram.

Mark

Internaut 11th December 2017 10:02 PM

Re: CaptureOne 11
 
Rather impressed with Capture One 11. Not terribly intuitive, but bloody hell! I have a free licence with the Sony camera, which Intend to upgrade to a (still Sony only, as it is quite pricey) Pro. I’m blown away by the quality of the raw conversions, compared to Lightroom.

Greytop 11th December 2017 11:49 PM

Re: CaptureOne 11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 434924)
Rather impressed with Capture One 11. Not terribly intuitive, but bloody hell! I have a free licence with the Sony camera, which Intend to upgrade to a (still Sony only, as it is quite pricey) Pro. I’m blown away by the quality of the raw conversions, compared to Lightroom.

Interesting, what would you say Capture One does better?
I'm a long term (Capture One Pro) user and haven't done any recent comparisons. When I did compare a good few years ago Capture One was the package that consistently pulled more detail out of RAW files, that impressed me.

Internaut 12th December 2017 12:05 AM

Re: CaptureOne 11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greytop (Post 434927)
Interesting, what would you say Capture One does better?
I'm a long term (Capture One Pro) user and haven't done any recent comparisons. When I did compare a good few years ago Capture One was the package that consistently pulled more detail out of RAW files, that impressed me.

With the Sony A7 II (seriously trailing edge, in terms of technology), I found:

- Default sharpening far nicer than I get from Lightroom
- Something just very nice about the colours
- Quite a bit better with high ISO images, taken at night, compared to Sonyís (none too shabby) JPEG engine or Lightroom.

Iím going to do a trial with my Olympus files. Iím expecting it to be rather nice, but a tough expense to justify bearing in mind Lightroom (with Olympus Viewer as backup) is also very good. Example from my Sony:

https://flic.kr/p/22mZwzx


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:27 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger