Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   General photography discussion (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Nikon Mirrorless (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48644)

Rocknroll59 23rd August 2018 09:50 AM

Nikon Mirrorless

Had an email this morning from Wex announcing the new Nikon mirrorless !!
Its mighty expensive, so what would draw anyone using mirrorless or not into the Nikon brand, anyone switching from Olympus?? and what is the real advantage of the Nikon?? Will it be a case of now Nikon are mirrorless that it will become the next best thing to sliced bread and all those that poo pooed Olympus will suddenly become mirrorless fans??

Cheers

Peter

Ian 23rd August 2018 10:24 AM

Re: Nikon Mirrorless

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...meras/nikon-z7

It won't win any prizes for looks :)

Just like the Sony FF range; huge lenses (though a bit smaller than the DSLR versions) and small bodies. You will still have a bigger and heavier kit bag than APS or MFT mirrorless.

Nevertheless, welcome news and now even more choice for discerning photographers.

I wonder how many oros will switch and how quickly!

Ian

Ian 23rd August 2018 10:29 AM

It's rather amusing to see that Nikon is drumming home the especially wide lens mount that it sees as a major advantage over Sony. Er, who has the narrowest FF DSLR lens mount at present? hehe :D

Ian

Ricoh 23rd August 2018 10:31 AM

With two offerings, the Z6 and Z7, there seems to be something for everyone, but both taking the Z lenses and back compatibility with an adapter. They will sell for sure. It will also be interesting to see what the other half of the oponymously named pairing offers.

Hope the YouTube video works: https://lcegroup.us6.list-manage.com...d&e=e41f67ab58

Ricoh 23rd August 2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 455701)
It's rather amusing to see that Nikon is drumming home the especially wide lens mount that it sees as a major advantage over Sony. Er, who has the narrowest FF DSLR lens mount at present? hehe :D

Ian

It's quite a novelty to be talking and reading about photography on the forum :)

The large diameter lenses will attract 's but offer potential for very fast lenses with a Noctilux 0.95 announced already. How far do they intend to go, but more importantly how important is a 50 f/0.95 with almost zero DoF at near distance?

benvendetta 23rd August 2018 10:58 AM

Makes the EM1 Mk2 a bargain! Clearly mirrorless is now he future given this important release from Nikon. It was never really in doubt.

Ross the fiddler 23rd August 2018 11:04 AM

I got emails & FB notices of Sony & Canon sales on FF cameras. I wonder why? :rolleyes: :D

wornish 23rd August 2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 455709)
It's quite a novelty to be talking and reading about photography on the forum :)

The large diameter lenses will attract 's but offer potential for very fast lenses with a Noctilux 0.95 announced already. How far do they intend to go, but more importantly how important is a 50 f/0.95 with almost zero DoF at near distance?

The I think the 50 f/0.95 will be manual focus only.
Don't really see the point to be honest.

Ricoh 23rd August 2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wornish (Post 455725)
The I think the 50 f/0.95 will be manual focus only.
Don't really see the point to be honest.

Because of the control it offers the user.

Ricoh 23rd August 2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 455717)
Makes the EM1 Mk2 a bargain! Clearly mirrorless is now he future given this important release from Nikon. It was never really in doubt.

Let's not forget that Leica has been mirrorless for more than half a century, with manual focus lenses. Why change something that clearly works so well?

My only gripe about the digital M is that it has far too many buttons.

Graham_of_Rainham 23rd August 2018 12:03 PM

I think they will sell a lot of adaptors... ;)

pdk42 23rd August 2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 455730)
Let's not forget that Leica has been mirrorless for more than half a century, with manual focus lenses. Why change something that clearly works so well?

Ha, ha - very funny!! I've seen more missed focus shots from Leica cameras than most other systems. Rangefinders are notoriously prone to losing calibration.

Ricoh 23rd August 2018 12:41 PM

I wonder if Olympus will keep up by offering a FF (with 135 dimensions), or will they get sidelined?

Ross the fiddler 23rd August 2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 455742)
I wonder if Olympus will keep up by offering a FF (with 135 dimensions), or will they get sidelined?

Only by those with large biceps! :p There will be those that will be drawn into the FF fan club, until they realise the camera might stay at home more often because it (camera & lens kit) isn't small & light enough to take everywhere. Maybe Olympus will need to up their marketing to highlight its benefits over these FF mirrorless outfits, so long as it is genuine & convincing (& without the 'put down' of other brands etc). Marketing BS doesn't always work. :rolleyes:

CJJE 23rd August 2018 01:04 PM

Nikon will have to work hard to build up a decent range of lenses, or else it will fall to the wayside like their previous mirrorless efforts.

But it also shows why Olympus are busy working on a full-frame camera of their own!