Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Software (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   How to ... update your firmware (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4890)

Jonesgj 20th March 2009 02:23 PM

How to ... update your firmware

I read with interest that there was a firmware update for the 70-300mm and how that was making a difference to the focusing and hunting issues. So I broke from my "if it ain't broke" approach and decided to upgrade the kit.

But where did I start? The manual? no its not in the index. So I had a mess around with it myself not risking too much because I know the problems you can get into if you mess up firmware updates. I managed to get the E520 updated but then started to receive server errors when trying to do the rest of the kit. I returned this morning and couldnt rememeber whether to set the camera to storage or something else on its menu. So I searched for it on google, and here is a good step by step guide.

I may have been silly and everyone else may know how to do this or where to find the instructions but for those of us that don't - I hope this helps.

Regards

Graydon

shenstone 20th March 2009 02:59 PM

Re: How to ... update your firmware

You load up Olympus master on your PC

Fit the appropriate lens to the camera

Plug your camera into the PC with the USB cable that came with it and switch the camera on - it can be any USB mode I think, but I always select "storage"

Then select "Camera > Update Camera / Add Display Language " from the menu and follow the prompts which in the main relate to leaving the camera alone until the update is complete and then switching it off.

If you have lots of updates to do then just repeat the process.

There are warnings re using a fully charged battery - not that it has to be absolutely full, but you don't want a crash during a firmware update - that can be messy so make sure it has plenty of go

Regards
Andy

shenstone 20th March 2009 03:00 PM

Doh !

Just read your post again properly and you're not asking - you're informing.

Sorry for teaching you to suck eggs

Regards
Andy

Jonesgj 20th March 2009 03:57 PM

No probs Andy.

If only everyone rushed to be helpful!

Thanks

mike_j 20th March 2009 06:14 PM

If you manage to come to Rutland Water on Sunday please can I play with your lens?

I am thinking of buying a 70-300mm to use on my Panasonic G1 but want to be sure the autofocus works first.

Jonesgj 20th March 2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_j (Post 40023)
If you manage to come to Rutland Water on Sunday please can I play with your lens?

I am thinking of buying a 70-300mm to use on my Panasonic G1 but want to be sure the autofocus works first.

Sure Mike. I think it is working better after the upgrade but Sunday will be the test.

Regards

Graydon