Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Tesni Ward Workshop - some thoughts (image heavy) (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45107)

sapper 28th May 2017 08:26 AM

Re: Tesni Ward Workshop - some thoughts (image heavy)

Cracking shots Paul. Inspiring. Been there a couple of times, must go back again.

pdk42 28th May 2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 415584)
Cracking shots Paul. Inspiring. Been there a couple of times, must go back again.

Thanks Dave!

tomphotofx 1st June 2017 03:47 PM

Thanks for posting these images Paul, I really enjoyed looking at them plus I hopped onto Flickr to see some more, good work indeed.

Regards

Tom

Munro 113 28th June 2017 09:58 PM

Hi Paul
Lovely set of images.there, looks like you had a super time at Bempton.
With regards to the Olympus 300mm vs LUMIX 100-400mm, whilst you say the Oly is slightly better of the two, would you say it is 1000 better? The Oly is approaching twice the price of the Lumix so one would expect it to be better, the same applies to the 100-400mm vs either 100-300mkii & Oly 75-100. I suppose price & quality is all relative in that if you have loads of cash you would buy both 40-150 & 300mm pros at a mind blowing price and probably get better image quality (?) than the Lumix but how much better. No doubt someone like Tesni would get better images with the 100-400 kit than me with the Oly duo.
Sorry for rambling on.
Thanks for your sharing your super images and a very interesting report on your day with Tesni
Regards
Bryan

pdk42 29th June 2017 05:41 AM

I don't think the image quality/sharpness warrants a 1000 difference - in fact, I think they are actually pretty close. The biggest difference is that you're getting about a stop or so more light with the Olympus. That can make a big difference taking shots of fast moving subjects in less than ideal light.

OTOH, for many other use cases for a long lens, I think the Panasonic wins - simply because it's a zoom. Taking shots of aircraft for instance almost demands a zoom since their relative size can vary enormously as they approach and recede.

I think for wildlife the Olympus probably has the edge, but the Panasonic is a very good and would probably satisfy most people.

Ross the fiddler 26th July 2017 01:19 PM

That was a great write up & of course the photos too. Thanks for this & details on settings etc too. I found this thread because of the last forum work Ian did which brought up all those unread posts again, & I'm glad it did. *yes

*chr

pdk42 26th July 2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 422643)
That was a great write up & of course the photos too. Thanks for this & details on settings etc too. I found this thread because of the last forum work Ian did which brought up all those unread posts again, & I'm glad it did. *yes

*chr

It's a pleasure Ross. I did the same with your thread on PDAF calibration.