Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Articles from FourThirds-User.com (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Meike Micro Four Thirds auto extension tubes reviewed (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40439)

Ian 8th December 2015 10:46 AM

Meike Micro Four Thirds auto extension tubes reviewed

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/49...xt-tubes1b.jpg

We've had a look at an inexpensive set of extension tubes from Meike, for Micro Four Thirds cameras and lenses. They may be cheap but are they any good?

More...

Zuiko 8th December 2015 11:42 AM

Re: Meike Micro Four Thirds auto extension tubes reviewed

Thanks Ian, I suspect this is what many members of this forum have been waiting for. *chr

Beagletorque 8th December 2015 01:12 PM

I have 2 cheap sets the same sort of thing with metal mounts and they do all stack together and work. I would worry about the plastic mounts causing "dust" particles when rubbing up against the metal lens mounts.

Ian 8th December 2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagletorque (Post 369025)
I have 2 cheap sets the same sort of thing with metal mounts and they do all stack together and work. I would worry about the plastic mounts causing "dust" particles when rubbing up against the metal lens mounts.

I haven't seen any evidence of the plastic degrading on the mounts. Don't forget that Olympus also use plastic lens mounts and of course Olympus has the best dust reduction system too.

Ian

alfbranch 10th December 2015 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 369030)
I haven't seen any evidence of the plastic degrading on the mounts. Don't forget that Olympus also use plastic lens mounts and of course Olympus has the best dust reduction system too.

Ian

I did with the 3 set of Kooka tubes I bought when using them with my Sigma 105 f2.8. They would be fine with the lighter lenses like the 60mm and 45-150 f-5.6R but not for the 40-150 f2.8 for instance.

Just my opinion.
Here is a thread on the Kooka tubes http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38783

Daveart 10th December 2015 09:29 PM

Hi, I have had a set of these for nearly two years. I have used them quite a lot with various lenses, even the 70-300mm 4/3rds with converter with good use and still a brilliant sturdy fit and very stable no sloppiness. I would recommend these Meike extension tubes, I got mine for 19.00including postage, must have gone up in price since then.
Dave

alfbranch 17th December 2015 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagletorque (Post 369025)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 369030)

Ian

These are not long term tests I presume. I have 3 Kooka tubes which are plastic and they had a screw come loose using the Sigma 105 on them leading to a loss of connection between tubes. This must have led to an air gap too I suppose and you would think I was using a Canikon the amount of dirt that is on my sensor.
This set up has had significant use I would suggest avoiding plastic tubes for all but occasional use or lighter lenses.

Finding decent tubes for m4/3 is not at all easy and Olympus need to get there finger out and produce a set of three like the OM set not just a single tube like the EX-25.

Ian 17th December 2015 01:11 PM

There are metal mount versions of the Meike tubes and I would guess these are available under various brands.

Here is an example:

Ian

alfbranch 17th December 2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 369959)
There are metal mount versions of the Meike tubes and I would guess these are available under various brands.

Here is an example:

FOTGA AF Automatic Macro Extension Tube for Olympus: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Ian

The Kooka set I have has metal mounts but they are plastic so no thanks on them also.

Ian 17th December 2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfbranch (Post 369963)
The Kooka set I have has metal mounts but they are plastic so no thanks on them also.

Not sure I really understand the problem?

I suppose the original Kenko ones, which are all metal, might be up to the job but they are very pricey:

Ian

alfbranch 17th December 2015 05:27 PM

Ian
They are plastic bodied with metal mounts and the mount started to come away ftom the body causing loss of connection. One of the screw threads gave way in the body of the the largest tube.

Two sets of the kenko tubes would do.

Loup Garou 24th December 2015 06:30 PM

I have had Miekes for about a month and experimented them quite a lot. The build quality is a bit flimsy but that is reflected in the price. I have found correct front and back caps for them and keep them stored in a case when not in use. Also, I use them only with the Olympus 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 R lens, which is lightweight and also has plastic mounts. So far so good.

The Siocore Pro macro converter that I use with the ensemble is metal and glass and a bit heavy for its size but it fits well abd gives good results.