Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   EM1 WiFi Controller App (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46502)

Gate Keeper 2nd November 2017 05:53 AM

EM1 WiFi Controller App

With Image Share on Live View, I am finding that the app is guzzling up my internet data and I am only on pay-as-you-go. I have returned to Kenya and want to use an iPhone or iPad for LV and capture.

Is there an alternative app to Image Share, which does not need internet? Thanks

Ian 2nd November 2017 09:32 AM

Re: EM1 WiFi Controller App

I may be missing something very obvious here but why is Internet access involved here? The camera communicates point-point with the app on your device using WiFi. No Internet connection is required.

Ian

Ross the fiddler 2nd November 2017 09:33 AM

You beat me to it Ian. I was going to query the same. :rolleyes:

AMc 2nd November 2017 09:34 AM

Not sure what OIShare is doing on the internet at all. I used it all the time for GPS logging on holiday with no noticeable data usage bar downloading Maps if I looked at the logs themselves with a data connection available.

When my E-M10 is connected over WiFi to my iPhone can't see the internet at all (as expected).

iOS 11 allows you to disable mobile data on the lock screen - I imagine Android has the same function?

Gate Keeper 2nd November 2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMc (Post 431513)
Not sure what OIShare is doing on the internet at all. I used it all the time for GPS logging on holiday with no noticeable data usage bar downloading Maps if I looked at the logs themselves with a data connection available.

When my E-M10 is connected over WiFi to my iPhone can't see the internet at all (as expected).

iOS 11 allows you to disable mobile data on the lock screen - I imagine Android has the same function?

This is all new to me, Olympus camera’s and the Olympus apps. I am on IOS 11. Clearly it was a coincidence that a message flashed up on the phone, saying that I only had 25mb of internet data left and that was at the same time Image Share was connecting to the camera. I will have another bash. Thank you for replying with the useful tips. Your advice is appreciated. I am happy to know that no internet is required for the app to work.

Ross the fiddler 2nd November 2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 431537)
This is all new to me, Olympus camera’s and the Olympus apps. I am on IOS 11. Clearly it was a coincidence that a message flashed up on the phone, saying that I only had 25mb of internet data left and that was at the same time Image Share was connecting to the camera. I will have another bash. Thank you for replying with the useful tips. Your advice is appreciated. I am happy to know that no internet is required for the app to work.

If you have iOS 11 then it is likely you also had several apps (besides the download for iOS 11) being updated too using up your data.

Gate Keeper 2nd November 2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 431547)
If you have iOS 11 then it is likely you also had several apps (besides the download for iOS 11) being updated too using up your data.

As a result, I have downgraded from 4G to 3G and deleted apps I won’t need whilst I am in Africa. I have removed the links to download media from Facebook and What’s App....

Thank you Ross for pointing me in the right direction :)

Ian 2nd November 2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 431550)
As a result, I have downgraded from 4G to 3G and deleted apps I won’t need whilst I am in Africa. I have removed the links to download media from Facebook and What’s App....

Thank you Ross for pointing me in the right direction :)

There should be an option for apps to only be updated and download when connected via WiFi - at least there is on Android phones.

Ian

Gwyver 2nd November 2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 431561)
There should be an option for apps to only be updated and download when connected via WiFi - at least there is on Android phones.

Ian

There is:
Settings -> iTunes & App Stores -> Use Mobile Data. toggle this to disable it.
There is also a switch to control Updates from dowwnloading automatically

Gate Keeper 2nd November 2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwyver (Post 431580)
There is:
Settings -> iTunes & App Stores -> Use Mobile Data. toggle this to disable it.
There is also a switch to control Updates from dowwnloading automatically

Thank you, thank you very much.

AMc 3rd November 2017 09:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
As above - until recent EU sponsored changes made it unnecessary - I disabled Mobile Data Roaming when ever I left the country.
Roaming is using a foreign network when abroad and was traditionally very expensive - it's now included in your regular usage in the EU.
There are fixed day rate options in other places that let you use what you need for a set amount - I used it in the USA. No idea about Africa though.
It might be worth buying a PAYG sim locally if you need data and WiFi isn't available but you'd need to ensure your handset is unlocked by your current provider before you go.

WiFi still works fine when it's available.

You can simply disable all mobile data from the lock screen in iOS11 - green icon here - took me ages to find out what that was for :)

You can also set which apps are able to use mobile data at any time as well as control Mobile Roaming etc in this screen in "Settings"

FWIW I found the GPS logging from OIShare really useful on a recent road trip to France. I wrote a post on it on another forum I use...
https://www.avforums.com/threads/gps...0-mki.2120455/

sapper 4th November 2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 431511)
I may be missing something very obvious here but why is Internet access involved here? The camera communicates point-point with the app on your device using WiFi. No Internet connection is required.

Ian

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought Wifi used the internet. When I go for my big Mac, i get free wifi from McDonalds, and have internet access.
All very confusing to this bear.

Shaw 4th November 2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 431721)
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought Wifi used the internet. When I go for my big Mac, i get free wifi from McDonalds, and have internet access.

The EM1 camera has it's own built-in WiFi, which does not require an internet connection.

raichea 4th November 2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 431721)

If your phone is connected to a wireless access point or router that provides internet access then your phone can access the internet. However, all the wifi connection is doing is connecting you to the local network that the WAP/router is sat on - it simply removes the need to connect to the network with an Ethernet cable. The internet access is a consequence of being connected to a network that has internet access - nothing to do with the wifi connection itself.

When your phone connects to your camera, the camera is acting as a WAP but to a network contained completely within the camera - there is no internet access even though there is a wifi connection.

sapper 4th November 2017 12:49 PM

Thanks guys, but now I am thoroughly confused. Give me time to digest this info:-)