Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Picture of the Day (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Dunnock or Hedge Sparrow (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43619)

MJ224 8th December 2016 11:33 PM

Dunnock or Hedge Sparrow

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/654/30...c25f231c_b.jpgDunnock 1 WWT llanelli by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Dunnock at WWT Llanelli...............

David M 9th December 2016 12:06 AM

Re: Dunnock or Hedge Sparrow

Hedge Accentor.

Martin2901 14th December 2016 08:13 PM

Prunella modularis

iso 15th December 2016 07:06 PM

Would the Birdies in the Forum kindly get off their Perches and answer the question in a way understandable to us mortals. I have long been confused among Tree/Hedge/Common/Web Footed Sparrows, and Dunnocks. Please post a series here showing the differences. :)

MJ224 15th December 2016 10:32 PM

https://c2.staticflickr.com/1/642/31...12dc40ac_b.jpgGood Morning Sparra by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

House Sparrow for starters..............

David M 15th December 2016 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iso (Post 401005)
Would the Birdies in the Forum kindly get off their Perches and answer the question in a way understandable to us mortals. I have long been confused among Tree/Hedge/Common/Web Footed Sparrows, and Dunnocks. Please post a series here showing the differences. :)

Hedge Accentor, Hedge Sparrow and Dunnock are all common English names for the same species. The scientific name is Prunella modularis.

It's not actually a Sparrow so for the past couple of decades there's been a push to drop the name Hedge Sparrow. As it is a member of the Accentor family Hedge Accentor is an accurate name. IIRC Dunnock is an old English name meaning little brown bird. I always used Dunnock (Prunella modularis) when captioning for editors.

Ian 15th December 2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M (Post 401038)
Hedge Accentor, Hedge Sparrow and Dunnock are all common English names for the same species. The scientific name is Prunella modularis.

It's not actually a Sparrow so for the past couple of decades there's been a push to drop the name House Sparrow. As it is a member of the Accentor family Hedge Accentor is an accurate name. IIRC Dunnock is an old English name meaning little brown bird. I always used Dunnock (Prunella modularis) when captioning for editors.

I think you meant Hedge Sparrow?

Show how much I know but I had to ID a Dunnock on this forum a few years ago - I had never heard of them before and thought it might have been a juvenile thrush :D

ian

David M 16th December 2016 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 401041)
I think you meant Hedge Sparrow?

Show how much I know but I had to ID a Dunnock on this forum a few years ago - I had never heard of them before and thought it might have been a juvenile thrush :D

ian

Correct Ian, edited now. I'm going a bit stir crazy, it hardly stopped snowing for days. We got sent home from work this morning when they started closing roads and pulling the ploughs off them.

iso 16th December 2016 06:46 PM

I am still confused. So far we have a Dunnock which it seems is a misnomer, a Hedge Sparrow which should be called something else, and not a lot about House Sparrows.....:rolleyes:
Just how many types of Sparrow are there?

Ian 16th December 2016 07:27 PM

I think basically the Dunnock is commonly referred to as a Hedge Sparrow but in fact it's not a member of the Sparrow family at all. The beak is more slender for a start. Am I right in thinking that Sparrows are more related to finches while Dunnocks are much more like blackbirds or thrushes?

Ian

Olybirder 16th December 2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iso (Post 401116)
I am still confused. So far we have a Dunnock which it seems is a misnomer, a Hedge Sparrow which should be called something else, and not a lot about House Sparrows.....:rolleyes:

There are only three birds in the UK called Sparrows:
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)
Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus)
Hedge Sparrow more commonly known as the Dunnock (Prunella modularis)

The Dunnock is not related to the other two and is an entirely different species. The House Sparrow is the most common and is seen all over the place, although it has been in serious decline in recent years. The Tree Sparrow is very uncommon now, especially where I live, and is also in serious decline.

Dunnocks spend most of their time foraging on the ground, although they sometimes use the feeders in my garden if there are no other birds about.

They are all very nice little birds to watch and photograph, although I still don't have any shots of a Tree Sparrow.

Ron

David M 16th December 2016 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iso (Post 401116)

A couple of species native to the UK (Tree and House Sparrow) with the Spanish Sparrow turning up rarely.

There's also over a dozen North American 'Sparrows' that are more closely related to the Buntings found in Europe. Some of the American species have turned up in the UK. European House and Tree Sparrows have been introduced into North America where the House Sparrow competes with native species for nest sites.

David M 16th December 2016 10:54 PM

I've posted half a dozen North American Sparrow species in the Communal Bird Photography thread. Of the species I've posted, Song, Lark, White-crowned and White-throated Sparrows have occurred in the UK.

Next time I'm somewhere with WiFi I'll upload a photo of a Tree Sparrow with a male House Sparrow behind it.

Graptolite 16th December 2016 11:52 PM

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7155/6...9683008d_b.jpgTree Sparrow by DavidMB2006

Tree sparrow

Olybirder 16th December 2016 11:56 PM

That's lovely David. It shows the typical brown cap and white cheek with a black spot on it perfectly. They were quite common when I was a lad but are as rare as hen's teeth here these days.

Ron