Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   General photography discussion (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Thom Hogan slams Olympus M 4/3 (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48290)

drmarkf 11th July 2018 08:39 AM

Re: Thom Hogan slams Olympus M 4/3

Yes, mis-perceptions die hard, that is true.

However it’s very difficult to form a mis-perception of the weight differences among different brands and sensor sizes once you’ve tried them, and as has been said already, a lot of enthusiasts (in what is a grey and ageing population) are willing to give m4/3 a try. Such people are influential on their less enthusiastic friends, of course. I know of 12 M1ii sales in the past 18 months in our camera club of 190 people, and there may be more.

No, my main criticism of Grumpy Old Git Hogan’s article is that he’s done no research on anything relevant - for example, he’s done nothing on camera sales among the manufacturers, and selectively quotes vague, ballpark figures that (strangely enough) support his argument. These data are indeed hard to find, but they are out there in the manufacturers’ financial statements, but he couldn’t be bothered to dig them out (neither can I, but I’m not pretending to be an expert). What’s actually happening to Oly/Sony/Fuji etc CSC sales in the past 12 months?

BTW the Sony RX100 series do indeed produce very usable 20mp images in low light and are marketed heavily on that, but anyone who’s used one and who likes shooting in contrasty light knows that their dynamic range in real life usage is pretty woeful compared to even the most basic 16mp m4/3 sensors. Another triumph for marketing over reality, of course: once your highlights have gone they’ve gone.

Walti 11th July 2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 450805)
over reality, of course: once your highlights have gone they’ve gone.

Unless you use peroxide?

pdk42 11th July 2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 450805)

BTW the Sony RX100 series do indeed produce very usable 20mp images in low light and are marketed heavily on that, but anyone who’s used one and who likes shooting in contrasty light knows that their dynamic range in real life usage is pretty woeful compared to even the most basic 16mp m4/3 sensors. Another triumph for marketing over reality, of course: once your highlights have gone they’ve gone.

My biggest gripe about the RX100 wasn't its IQ, but its handling. Hated it. If they could find a designer who is a *real* photographer, I'm sure they could make it appeal to a much broader audience. As it is, it's almost impossible to use except in full auto mode.

Ricoh 11th July 2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 450813)
My biggest gripe about the RX100 wasn't its IQ, but its handling. Hated it. If they could find a designer who is a *real* photographer, I'm sure they could make it appeal to a much broader audience. As it is, it's almost impossible to use except in full auto mode.

One would be forgiven for thinking that all the designers with an understanding of photography, or better still being practitioners, changed occupations when digital came into being.

Watched the Time Machine programme on Horizon last night. If I could travel to the past Digital Cameras would instantly disappear from the present.

drmarkf 11th July 2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walti (Post 450812)
Unless you use peroxide?

That gives you nothing BUT highlights, squire :D

Jim Ford 11th July 2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 450813)

The RX100 mk1 had a major problem of 'self starting'. The camera would switch on spontaneously and the lens extend. Unless the user noticed, it would then run the battery flat. This would happen repeatedly. Sony initially said that it couldn't happen, then said it was the users fault. When someone posted a Youtube video of it happening they sunk into a sullen sulk and ignored further reports. There's a long thread about it on a Sony forum.

For the above appalling customer service, I'd never buy a Sony product!

Jim

pdk42 11th July 2018 04:15 PM

There are a number of alarming Sony stories. The one about their cameras being "weather resistant" when actually they leak water like the Titanic is about the worst.

sapper 11th July 2018 05:41 PM

Who is Thoms Hogan? Forget it, I don't want to know, the footy is on soon:-)

Graham_of_Rainham 11th July 2018 07:38 PM

There are photographers and those that write articles that slag off whatever it is they are paid to do...

Fortunately those on this site have broad shoulders and duck like backs, which comes from having lightweight and waterproof kit... :D

Ian 13th July 2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMc (Post 450648)
??? US$2000 is the consumer entry point ???
Nope, not even close. I've never spent and probably never will spend that kind of money on a body and I consider myself a keen amateur not a general "consumer".

Nobody pays $2000 for an E-M1 Mark II; $1600 or less is the market rate.

Ian

Ian 13th July 2018 03:46 PM

Being controversial is so-called click-bait, but it's a short-lived effect if the articles you are lured to don't cut it.

Ian

Olybirder 13th July 2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 450977)

Ian

The Panasonic G9 is £1199 at WEX at the moment so wouldn't be surprised if the E-M1 II drops in price to match it before long.

Ron

drmarkf 13th July 2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 450977)

Ian

I can’t speak authoritatively for the US prices, Ian, but to be fair to old Hogey the M1ii was around £1850 on the street in the U.K. from mid-2017 until the beginning of 2018. That must equate to around $2000 and, allowing for his usual gentle twisting of the truth to suit his argument, it’s price probably matched the introductory price of the new Aiii over that period.

Zuiko 14th July 2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olybirder (Post 450980)
The Panasonic G9 is £1199 at WEX at the moment so wouldn't be surprised if the E-M1 II drops in price to match it before long.

Ron

Just wait 5 years and you'll get it for less than £300 pre-owned. :)

Otto 14th July 2018 08:52 AM

That's the essential difference between digital and film. What you save on film you lose on depreciation!