Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Telephoto (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   75-300 FOR bif ? (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47908)

mik 17th May 2018 06:26 PM

75-300 FOR bif ?

Any one use this lens for bird photography and or BIF, i have the 100-400 but looking for something lighter and its silly cheap at the moment.
If you have sample images on Flickr or somewhere could i have a link please.

Graham_of_Rainham 18th May 2018 07:21 AM

Re: 75-300 FOR bif ?

I have yet to develop the skills to capture small birds in flight. The 75-300 is certainly good enough to produce quality images, but like so many things these days, we expect the kit to do much of the hard work for us. :o

I freely admit I have lost the skills, I kid myself I once had, to track a bird with an all manual camera, and get a good quality image. But I did manage to get a magpie flying across in front of me, by setting the lens to manual focus, pre-focusing at the distance I had seen other magpies flying through and using an aperture that would give me the DoF to cover a little latitude and a fast enough shutter speed. Then it was all down to old clay pigeon techniques of shooting both eyes open. :cool:

If you have the skills the 75-300 will not disappoint.

OM USer 18th May 2018 04:22 PM

Its a nice lens; excellent for birds on bird feeders or in the trees but I struggle with it for small garden birds on the wing as there is rarely enough light to overcome the small aperture at 300mm. Anyway in a typical back garden I can never manage to pan the camera as there is not enough time to swing the camera around before the bird is in the next tree. Where you can pre-focus, say a bird leaving or arriving at a nest then you can get good results as you can on open water when there is time to track a bird.

Some examples of my 75-300mm in these threads with bigger birds (birds of prey). As Graham says, you need the skills. I just rely on luck and there are many who can do better. I have failed dismally to get small garden birds in flight, finding anything that is moving needs to be reasonably big in the viewfinder (say 4 AF boxes) to have any change of automatic focussing.

Birds of Prey At Warwick Castle
Sparrowhawk (this was actually shot in my back garden)
Birds of Prey at Penshurst (before I got the 40-150 F/2.8; check EXIF as some shots with the 12-40mm)

mik 18th May 2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OM USer (Post 447386)
Its a nice lens; excellent for birds on bird feeders or in the trees but I struggle with it for small garden birds on the wing as there is rarely enough light to overcome the small aperture at 300mm. Anyway in a typical back garden I can never manage to pan the camera as there is not enough time to swing the camera around before the bird is in the next tree. Where you can pre-focus, say a bird leaving or arriving at a nest then you can get good results as you can on open water when there is time to track a bird.

Some examples of my 75-300mm in these threads with bigger birds (birds of prey). As Graham says, you need the skills. I just rely on luck and there are many who can do better. I have failed dismally to get small garden birds in flight.
Birds of Prey At Warwick Castle
Sparrowhawk (this was actually shot in my back garden)
Birds of Prey at Penshurst (before I got the 40-150 F/2.8; check EXIF as some shots with the 12-40mm)

Thanks for the reply and links,the first one didn't work but i found it on a search.

OM USer 18th May 2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mik (Post 447388)
Thanks for the reply and links,the first one didn't work but i found it on a search.

Sorry about that... I've updated it for anyone else who wants to follow it.

MikeOxon 18th May 2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OM USer (Post 447386)
Its a nice lens; excellent for birds on bird feeders or in the trees but I struggle with it for small garden birds on the wing as there is rarely enough light to overcome the small aperture at 300mm. ...................

Ads a matter of interest, what ISO setting are people comfortable with? As one who grew up with Kodachrome ISO25, I don't seem to find 'small' apertures over-restricting.

mik 19th May 2018 03:50 AM

I like to keep it under 800 but as ime more interested in getting the picture i run auto up to 6400.
EM1MK11 100-400 @6400

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/943/2...7c8990a5_o.jpgP5100086 by electric.mike, on Flickr

OM USer 19th May 2018 03:23 PM

I use whatever ISO I need on the day. 1600 or 2000 is quite common. I have shot at 3200 but can't remember going as high as 6400.