Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Articles from FourThirds-User.com (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Olympus unveils OM-D E-M5 Mark II (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36396)

Four Thirds User 5th February 2015 06:10 AM

Olympus unveils OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com) is a sibling site to the e-group.

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/489/em5iid.jpg

Today at the Japanese CIPA+ show in Japan Olympus takes the wraps off the replacement for the OM-D E-M5, its first OM-D Micro Four Thirds system camera. With such a good reputation earned by the E-M5 Olympus has opted to call the new camera the E-M5 Mark II. But although there is a glancing similarity in appearance to the original E-M5, the Mark II is to all intents and purposes a completely new design. Highlights include a 40 megapixel sensor-shift composite mode, multiple frame rate HD video modes up to 60p at last, Wi-Fi support, and a much hoped-for vari-angle rear LCD (at last).

More...

Ian 5th February 2015 06:14 AM

Re: Olympus unveils OM-D E-M5 Mark II

European journalists get their hands on the E-M5 Mark II next Monday at an event in Prague. I will be there and if I can get the communications sorted will be posting live during the day.

If you have any questions I can ask on your behalf about the new camera and Olympus' strategy, let me know :)

Ian

greenguru 5th February 2015 06:33 AM

A flying camera would certainly help with some of those difficult to get shots.

Ian 5th February 2015 07:04 AM

I can see a future where a drone is alongside an underwater housing as an official accessory :)

Ian

rawclicks 5th February 2015 07:47 AM

Hi Ian

I would love to see images shot at higher ISO from 800 and above.

More details on 40 megapixel sensor-shift composite mode will it work on fast moving objects ?

To get the 40mp image which mode we have to shoot in RAW or RAW+JPEG ? OR the new mode is called sensor-shift composite mode ?

Which editing software will support RAW image conversion to jpeg which is suppose to be 40mp ?

Cheers
Rahul

Ian 5th February 2015 08:05 AM

Good questions Rahul - it doesn't look likely that 40MP mode will work with fast moving subjects but I will certainly confirm this for you.

Ian

Wee man 5th February 2015 08:39 AM

Is support for 4/3 lenses gone with this model?

Julian 5th February 2015 08:40 AM

Any views on how this compares with the E-M1?

Pistnbroke 5th February 2015 08:41 AM

No where does it state the basic MP for the sensor ...20 ??

Wee man 5th February 2015 08:48 AM

It gives 16mp under key differences but 40 mp is possible with sensor shift.

themosttogain 5th February 2015 08:53 AM

Recieved an e-mail from Wex this morning with pricing...also mentions a 14-150mm II lens that I hadn't heard any mention of before now...unless i've just missed it...

Click here to see it if you're curious!

Melaka 5th February 2015 08:55 AM

I assume it takes the BLN1 battery but note with regret there is yet another grip added to an already long range.

Ergonomically it looks much better than its predecessor.

Ian 5th February 2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wee man (Post 329457)
Is support for 4/3 lenses gone with this model?

No, but unlike the E-M1 PDAF is not supported, so autofocusing when using Four Thirds DSLR lenses won't be as fast and reliable.

Ian

cliff 5th February 2015 09:00 AM

What grip for this model, is it the same as the original ?

Ian 5th February 2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themosttogain (Post 329462)
Recieved an e-mail from Wex this morning with pricing...also mentions a 14-150mm II lens that I hadn't heard any mention of before now...unless i've just missed it...

Click here to see it if you're curious!

Yes, the m.Zuiko 14-150mm f/4-5.6 has been redesigned and gets dust and splash sealing.

Ian