Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Looking for improvement (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Juggling with fire and long flames (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35255)

Chevvyf1 31st October 2014 09:34 PM

Juggling with fire and long flames

Taken at Giffords Circus on the fab Olympus Day with Damian McGillycuddy

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/5...m_P9190078.jpg

What do you think ?

How could this be improved ?

Zuiko 31st October 2014 10:36 PM

Re: Juggling with fire and long flames

This captures the atmosphere very well and it's a nice touch to include the audience. It's therefore maybe not a case of improvement but what you might have done differently. For example, you could have zoomed in on the performers to make them the main subject, but I'm sure you got some other shots doing just that and in this case it would be a shame to dispense with the spectators. :)

Chevvyf1 31st October 2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 317400)
This captures the atmosphere very well and it's a nice touch to include the audience. It's therefore maybe not a case of improvement but what you might have done differently. For example, you could have zoomed in on the performers to make them the main subject, but I'm sure you got some other shots doing just that and in this case it would be a shame to dispense with the spectators. :)

Hi John, Yes I did capture some close up of the Jugglers :) But I liked this one because it captured the essence of the day - lots of people in the audience taking photos of an amazing act. I shall dig out one of just the Jugglers and add it (tomorrow, as off to bed and ZZZ zzz now :) Sweet dreams *chr

The colours are about right, as was, going by the bright red of the circular rug :) [whereas the image of The Master is a bit "blown highlights" which I can tone in post processing but I quite like OOC :]

Ralph Harwood 1st November 2014 12:51 AM

Hi there Chevvy!

Nice to see you are finally getting the time to start processing your pictures now - given that I have something similar from my camera I'm guessing you were sat next to me at the time!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Chevvyf1 1st November 2014 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood (Post 317419)
Hi there Chevvy!

Nice to see you are finally getting the time to start processing your pictures now - given that I have something similar from my camera I'm guessing you were sat next to me at the time!

Cheers,

Ralph.

ahhh! now perhaps I "wifi'ed your images to my Samsung Tablet 10.1 in my bag and this is one of yours ? ... while ;) ;) I was sitting next to you :rolleyes:

Its a long and slow process, just going through all those images taken that weekend I spent the Friday with you @ Olympus/Giffords then onto Burford horse mates and then onto Evesham and Saturday at Honeybourne in Worcs :) thousands of horses too :)

Peter_Hartland 1st November 2014 10:25 AM

Wish I could have made this, as every time I see an image as good as this it get me. Great shot

Chevvyf1 1st November 2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland (Post 317450)
Wish I could have made this, as every time I see an image as good as this it get me. Great shot

WoW ! Thanks very much Tony :) ... but I feel the same about many of yours :) so it is mutual :) We are just off to Lacock Abbey for Tea and the Photography Exhibition :) *chr Soft sunlight should be golden and great for landscapes and Architecture there later today :)

kidslateinlife 4th November 2014 09:37 AM

Chevvy

Love it !!!!!!!!

If the object of the day was to tell a story in a single image, you have succeeded!! This has it all.. a ring, spectators, jugglers, fire, drummers, the big dog, circus signage telling the viewer where you/they are, it is full of colour, sharp, well exposed and show movement very well.

In this case the image could NOT be improved.

The one thing I would do to this image without worrying too much or knowing which software you have........is emphasise the fire/torches ... try and reduce what is happening behind the fire to highlight the beautiful shape the torches are making as they are thrown.

I would start by using a "blurring" tool to soften/fade the drummer /keyboard player( but not the flames) and work that effect a little to his left and right side.
You will need to zoom in really tight to fade the drummer//keyboard player only.

If you felt really adventurous..........you could add some blurr to incorporate the chap standing by the curtain.

neither of these suggestions are detrimental to your original shot.

Wish I could have been there. Wish I had a nickname like Damien

Maybe we could give each other nicknames??

Chevvyf1 4th November 2014 11:04 AM

Now that is some REALLY great advice :D Thanks Alan - I shall do that :)

OM USer 4th November 2014 11:30 AM

Great composition Chevvy and captures the whole scene really well. For me the best one I've seen of this event.
My only dissapointment is the poster (left back). Its not blurred enough to ignore and not sharp enough to be nice enough to look at. I think the biggest problem is that its too bright and is a distraction (given that it is not in focus). As you can not retake the picture I suggest doing a bit of selective darkening/muting/toning down.

Chevvyf1 4th November 2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OM USer (Post 317903)
Great composition Chevvy and captures the whole scene really well. For me the best one I've seen of this event.
My only dissapointment is the poster (left back). Its not blurred enough to ignore and not sharp enough to be nice enough to look at. I think the biggest problem is that its too bright and is a distraction (given that it is not in focus). As you can not retake the picture I suggest doing a bit of selective darkening/muting/toning down.

Jeremy, Thank you for this valuable comment :) I shall be working on this image (for a particular purpose :D) and shall be doing this :)

and I really, REALLY appreciate this extremely valuable comments here :)

Will follow up and let you all know "WHY?" I am working on this image ... later, when I can disclose :)

OlyPaul 4th November 2014 11:45 AM

A great shot that portrays what it was like to be there. Not much to do it in my opinion apart from applying a tiny little bit of perspective adjustment to right the verticals.

Chevvyf1 4th November 2014 11:53 AM

Paul, Great Thanks for you comment - I had not noticed verticals, but your quite right and I really appreciate this :)

pandora 17th November 2014 11:23 AM

Chevvy, I think this is a wonderful picture and cannot think of anything that would improve it- it has great action and atmosphere and gives me a sense of being among the spectators so effectively silhouetted against the ring. :tup

Chevvyf1 17th November 2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 319598)
Chevvy, I think this is a wonderful picture and cannot think of anything that would improve it- it has great action and atmosphere and gives me a sense of being among the spectators so effectively silhouetted against the ring. :tup

Mark, bless and Thanks :) Nice to see you here (off your new bike for a few minutes :) )

I have not got around to "re working this ..." yet - :( have to do the year end accounts :( so very grumpy just now :) Nicks wonderful and just made me a delicious coffee and presented me with 3 biscuits too (for energy to continue with the maths :)

BUT I am re working this ... as suggested