Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M5 (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   OM-D guidebook (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21573)

Loup Garou 8th July 2012 09:39 AM

OM-D guidebook

The one gripe I do have with the Olympus OM-D is that their user guide manual is so difficult to follow. I have the full manual - ie everything that is on the disc but am still not happy. Old Time Cameras prepare printed booklets of almost every camera and as always, I got mine through them. But being used to as I am to the very clear and precise instructions of the Canon manuals, I find the Olympus one for the OM-D is very haphazardly laid out.

How long is it before there is an independent User Guide for the OM-D? Considering its popularity, I was hoping that it would be sooner than later.

tomphotofx 8th July 2012 12:52 PM

Re: OM-D guidebook

I am not an OM-D user yet, but giving it serious thought, here is a great review/user guide called, "Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5".

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/911...e-olympus-e-m5

Hope you find it helpful.

All the best

Tom

Ross the fiddler 8th July 2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomphotofx (Post 175290)
I am not an OM-D user yet, but giving it serious thought, here is a great review/user guide called, "Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5".

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/911...e-olympus-e-m5

Hope you find it helpful.

All the best

Tom

Yes, it is good for initially starting, but there are more little things that can take a while longer to discover.

tomphotofx 8th July 2012 01:47 PM

What would be the best 10 reasons to purchase the OM-D EM-5. I still plan to retain my E3 plus lenses and maybe purchase the MMF 3 adapter.

All the best

Tom

SteelD 8th July 2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomphotofx (Post 175302)
What would be the best 10 reasons to purchase the OM-D EM-5.

Not necessarily in order of importance:
  1. Size
  2. Camera Build Quality
  3. Image Quality
  4. Design (though not perfect in every respect)
  5. Lens Availability
Do I really have to find 5 more reasons?

StephenL 8th July 2012 03:50 PM

I think David's summed it up nicely!

tomphotofx 8th July 2012 05:13 PM

Thanks guys for the reasons, food for thought, I must get my hands on one to see how comfortable it is in the hands to operate. Two of the reasons I purchased the E3 were the articulating screen and the way it felt comfortable to hold and operate.

All the best

Tom*chr

ayewing 8th July 2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loup Garou (Post 175260)
The one gripe I do have with the Olympus OM-D is that their user guide manual is so difficult to follow. I have the full manual - ie everything that is on the disc but am still not happy. Old Time Cameras prepare printed booklets of almost every camera and as always, I got mine through them. But being used to as I am to the very clear and precise instructions of the Canon manuals, I find the Olympus one for the OM-D is very haphazardly laid out.

How long is it before there is an independent User Guide for the OM-D? Considering its popularity, I was hoping that it would be sooner than later.

I took delivery of my OM-D a week ago and have been struggling a bit in finding my way about the rather complex system of menus, sub-menus, modes etc. This is my first Olympus camera though I have had considerable experience with other brands mainly Pentax and Ricoh.

The lack of a printed manual is frustrating. I have printed out the manual on disk as well as installing it on my computer. I am sure that most of the essential information is there but it is not always easy to find. I have made a collection of the online guides and notes such as the DPreview user guide which was most helpful in getting started.

I am getting there and have set up most of the features I commonly use to my liking but the learning curve would be made easier with better printed documentation. I am thinking of something along the lines of the "Magic Lantern" series of camera guides though they do not seem to have issued one covering the OM-D as yet.

On a more cheerful note I am enjoying getting acquainted with this wonderful camera and have found a lot of information by browsing on this forum.

Ross the fiddler 8th July 2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelD (Post 175307)
Not necessarily in order of importance:
  1. Size
  2. Camera Build Quality
  3. Image Quality
  4. Design (though not perfect in every respect)
  5. Lens Availability
Do I really have to find 5 more reasons?

I would add:
*Higher sensitivity (it's good for Auto ISO being set to 200-6400) to 25600 ISO
*Even better IS with 5 Axis system
*Super Control Panel functions selectable by touch screen if desired
*Touch Screen with many uses (& it it is useful)
*EVF can show everything the display does or not as desired
*HLD-6 Grip option as well

Loup Garou 9th July 2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayewing (Post 175373)
The lack of a printed manual is frustrating. I have printed out the manual on disk as well as installing it on my computer. I am sure that most of the essential information is there but it is not always easy to find.

That is what I meant. I too have the full manual on print but the layout is a bit confusing.

I think/hope that there will be an independent guide out soon.

Barr1e 9th July 2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayewing (Post 175373)
I took delivery of my OM-D a week ago and have been struggling a bit in finding my way about the rather complex system of menus, sub-menus, modes etc. This is my first Olympus camera though I have had considerable experience with other brands mainly Pentax and Ricoh.

The lack of a printed manual is frustrating. I have printed out the manual on disk as well as installing it on my computer. I am sure that most of the essential information is there but it is not always easy to find. I have made a collection of the online guides and notes such as the DPreview user guide which was most helpful in getting started.

I am getting there and have set up most of the features I commonly use to my liking but the learning curve would be made easier with better printed documentation. I am thinking of something along the lines of the "Magic Lantern" series of camera guides though they do not seem to have issued one covering the OM-D as yet.

On a more cheerful note I am enjoying getting acquainted with this wonderful camera and have found a lot of information by browsing on this forum.

ayewing -

Welcome to e-group.

There is quite an amount of info on the site and I hope you find your way around to discover it.

Regards. Barr1e

Zuiko 9th July 2012 07:43 AM

If someone would like to loan me an E-M5 for, say, six months I will willingly write a user's guide! :D

StephenL 9th July 2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 175386)
If someone would like to loan me an E-M5 for, say, six months I will willingly write a user's guide! :D

Methinks you'll need more than 6 months to get round EVERY combination of settings, and why/how/if they work. :D

Sometimes I think I've mastered a function, only to find that a couple of weeks later it's mysteriously changed the way it operates. As the good Lady W says when she loses/forgets something - it must be the fairies! (looking accusingly at me :mad: )

ayewing 9th July 2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barr1e (Post 175382)
ayewing -

Welcome to e-group.

There is quite an amount of info on the site and I hope you find your way around to discover it.

Regards. Barr1e

Thanks for the welcome and for your PM. I tried to reply to it but apparently I am not allowed to till I make 6 posts. I quite understand the restriction on new members initiating PMs but most other forums do allow replies in these circumstances.

I must say I find this forum a friendly and welcoming place and look forward to contributing.

Archie

Ross the fiddler 9th July 2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 175386)

Keep trying John. You never know what might happen. ;) :D

*chr

Ross the fiddler 9th July 2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayewing (Post 175401)
Thanks for the welcome and for your PM. I tried to reply to it but apparently I am not allowed to till I make 6 posts. I quite understand the restriction on new members initiating PMs but most other forums do allow replies in these circumstances.

I must say I find this forum a friendly and welcoming place and look forward to contributing.

Archie

Welcome Archie. They even let an Aussie like me in. ;)

*chr

Loup Garou 11th July 2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 175430)
They even let an Aussie like me in. ;)

*chr

Must have been a glitch in the system. G'day! *chr :D

Zuiko 11th July 2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenL (Post 175387)
Methinks you'll need more than 6 months to get round EVERY combination of settings, and why/how/if they work. :D

Sometimes I think I've mastered a function, only to find that a couple of weeks later it's mysteriously changed the way it operates. As the good Lady W says when she loses/forgets something - it must be the fairies! (looking accusingly at me :mad: )

You are probably right, Stephen, so if someone would loan me one for a year......:D

Zuiko 11th July 2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayewing (Post 175401)

Archie

Hi Archie and welcome. Sorry about the PM restriction, it used to be totally unrestricted but a while back we had a few problems that needed addressing. Hopefully you'll soon notch up 6 posts and be able to participate fully - a couple of pictures will do! :)