Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Looking for improvement (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Dragon Bones - Please Critique. (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19699)

mlinehan 5th April 2012 07:33 PM

Dragon Bones - Please Critique.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7153/6...275196cd_z.jpg

LMGruchy 5th April 2012 07:52 PM

Re: Dragon Bones - Please Critique.

I don't feel qualified to critique it, but I do like it.

benvendetta 5th April 2012 08:22 PM

I do like this, in particular the stones in the foreground. I am a big fan of slow shutter speeds in coastal scenes like this and the interest due to the 'bones' is great and gives a good lead in.
However, I feel that it is a little on the bright side. I did try converting it into mono using Silver Efex Pro and the High Structure Filter. A bit off the sky with the remainder burnt in quite a bit would increase the atmosphere and moodiness. I think it would make a much more powerful image in mono rather than colour personally. Try it.

mlinehan 5th April 2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMGruchy (Post 158667)
I don't feel qualified to critique it, but I do like it.

Oh go on. You're entitled to an opinion. Don't worry, my ego isn't tied up in whether anyone thinks its good or not. :)

mlinehan 5th April 2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 158675)
I do like this, in particular the stones in the foreground. I am a big fan of slow shutter speeds in coastal scenes like this and the interest due to the 'bones' is great and gives a good lead in.
However, I feel that it is a little on the bright side. I did try converting it into mono using Silver Efex Pro and the High Structure Filter. A bit off the sky with the remainder burnt in quite a bit would increase the atmosphere and moodiness. I think it would make a much more powerful image in mono rather than colour personally. Try it.

Hi, thanks for the input. I don't agree about the mono but then everyone has different tastes and perceptions. That's what its all about. Love your work.

Zuiko 5th April 2012 10:18 PM

It's a great composition of a really interesting subject but it's a little too bright and lacking in contrast for my taste. I've had a play with it in Elements - what do you think? :)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/5...5196cd_z_e.jpg

Adam Easton 5th April 2012 10:36 PM

A very nice image.

I like the use of the square frame and the strong lines leading into the frame. It would be nice after making the journey into the image there was a slightly more dramatic sky but you got natures wish. The horizon Looks to be in the ideal place. Maybe you could have made more of the pebbles in the foreground using a wider angle lens or lowering the cameras position to stretch the foreground.

Thanks for showing*chr

kidslateinlife 5th April 2012 10:39 PM

I am very qualified at giving a poor critique, so I wont make an exception in this case.

The cloud formation has a fantastic lenticular feel, but I dont think they carry enough weight in the overall composition, particularly as the parallel's feed you towards the formation.

The colour of the ocean I feel lets it down, and I would be inclined to want to change it, and I would also likely expect to see a little more mood in say some mist rolling in from the sea.. ( i know a song about that)

As a composition, I like the style, I also wonder which lens you shot with, as the horizon has a slight curviture, and I am wondering if perhaps a fisheye effect may give it an alternate angle/mood.

Is this particular scene/coastline called the "dragon bones" by the locals or is this a title you have provided?

See...........I told you I was hopeless

My best regards.............Alan

Adam Easton 5th April 2012 10:56 PM

A nice edit John.

Upped the stakes in the sky and it works well.:cool:

Gazza1 6th April 2012 08:49 AM

A great capture and i like Zuikos edit.

David Morison 6th April 2012 10:21 AM

Stunning treatment of a spooky subject but I think Zuiko's rendering has the edge.

Regards

David

mlinehan 6th April 2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 158691)
It's a great composition of a really interesting subject but it's a little too bright and lacking in contrast for my taste. I've had a play with it in Elements - what do you think? :)

Err, its not now a reflection of what I saw. The day was bright and misty, which diffused the light and blurred some detail. The horizon line was almost obscured by a distant mist. The sky wasn't dark and brooding as you've portrayed.

I also messed with the levels but only to get it to reflect what I saw that day and that is what you see. I'd used up all my artistic licence with the slowly exposed waves.

The artist's (my) vision is in the original image. I appreciate the effort you've gone to but please, please don't alter and re-post my image.

Thanks for your comments though, they are much appreciated.

mlinehan 6th April 2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidslateinlife (Post 158697)
I am very qualified at giving a poor critique, so I wont make an exception in this case.

The cloud formation has a fantastic lenticular feel, but I dont think they carry enough weight in the overall composition, particularly as the parallel's feed you towards the formation.

The colour of the ocean I feel lets it down, and I would be inclined to want to change it, and I would also likely expect to see a little more mood in say some mist rolling in from the sea.. ( i know a song about that)

As a composition, I like the style, I also wonder which lens you shot with, as the horizon has a slight curviture, and I am wondering if perhaps a fisheye effect may give it an alternate angle/mood.

Is this particular scene/coastline called the "dragon bones" by the locals or is this a title you have provided?

See...........I told you I was hopeless

My best regards.............Alan

Wow, talk about contradicting reviews! :) Some want the ocean with more colour, some want it with no colour. There's no wrong or right of course - unless you're in the "photography club" scene.

The curvature you speak of is probably an illusion caused by the mist being further forward in on the left and right of the frame. The lens is a 11-22mm Zuiko which does provide a bit of distortion in for the bargain.

Dragon bones is the title of the image. The actual feature is known as "the groynes" by the locals.

No, not hopeless at all. A great review duly noted.

Zuiko 6th April 2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlinehan (Post 158829)
Err, its not now a reflection of what I saw. The day was bright and misty, which diffused the light and blurred some detail. The horizon line was almost obscured by a distant mist. The sky wasn't dark and brooding as you've portrayed.

I also messed with the levels but only to get it to reflect what I saw that day and that is what you see. I'd used up all my artistic licence with the slowly exposed waves.

The artist's (my) vision is in the original image. I appreciate the effort you've gone to but please, please don't alter and re-post my image.

Thanks for your comments though, they are much appreciated.

OK. It's usually an accepted part of the critique process to post suggested edits in "Looking for Perfection" but I won't bother with my time in future if you prefer it that way.

Chevvyf1 6th April 2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 158691)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/5...5196cd_z_e.jpg

I like Johns' treatment - it has bought out the density of the sky and detail of the Dragons Teeth, which I like very much *yes

I LURVED this when I first viewed it on Flickr, but on a revisit or two - I thought too much bright uninteresting sky and not quite enough detail in the posts - BUT the most awesome detail in the foreground stones :D

So NOW its a MEGA WoW Shot for me! Well worthy of wallspace - I could really relax and daydream looking at these Dragons Teeth taking me off ... somewhere on the horizon !