Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   General photography discussion (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Printing (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50557)

Walti 13th May 2019 03:59 PM

Printing

Looking at a few photos I've printed out recently and am trying to work out whether to buy a printer or use the local print company...

I've been looking at various printers but cannot make a decision!

I'd like to be able to print on fine art paper and card, as well as possibly the canvass stuff...

The Epson A3+ SC-P600 and A2 SC-P800 looks to answer every need I have plus several more (and PermaJet do papers and inks for those printers) has anyone any experience of the current crop of 7 and 8 colour printers out there?

I'm not bothered by all the wireless print options that Epson haven't quite got right as I would hard connect the printer to the computer.

Crazy Dave 13th May 2019 05:25 PM

Re: Printing

Hi Walti

This month’s Black & White Photography Magazine covers 6 labs in case that’s the way you go. I use Simlab, about £1.50 inc. VAT for 18”x 12” print. This means that I can reprint edits very cheaply, I like them, next day delivery if ordered by 1pm. Delivery is £5.50 regardless of number of prints. Customer service is good.

David

Walti 13th May 2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Dave (Post 480689)
Hi Walti

This monthís Black & White Photography Magazine covers 6 labs in case thatís the way you go. I use Simlab, about £1.50 inc. VAT for 18Ēx 12Ē print. This means that I can reprint edits very cheaply, I like them, next day delivery if ordered by 1pm. Delivery is £5.50 regardless of number of prints. Customer service is good.

David

Thanks,

Iíll dig up a copy from somewhere....

There is a little 2 man company locally and they are very good and supportive so I would support them if I can, but itís always good to look at what else is around!

Clockwork Donkey 13th May 2019 09:13 PM

I use a Canon Pixma Pro10-S and I am very happy with it. Print quality is superb, so much so it has been commented on twice in competitions. It's a big, heavy lump though with a fair footprint, and FWIW, the wireless facility works flawlessly.

Tram 14th May 2019 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clockwork Donkey (Post 480709)
I use a Canon Pima Pro10-S and I am very happy with it. Print quality is superb, so much so it has been commented on twice in competitions. It's a big, heavy lump though with a fair footprint, and FWIW, the wireless facility works flawlessly.

I agree, have one myself and it does produce a nice print, pigment rather than ink. Ink cartridges are expensive, but that applies to most printers.

RobEW 15th May 2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tram (Post 480715)
I agree, have one myself and it does produce a nice print, pigment rather than ink. Ink cartridges are expensive, but that applies to most printers.

Any idea roughly what ink price per page is? Obviously one adds on the cost of the paper too ...

Crazy Dave 15th May 2019 09:48 AM

Just a quick referral back to my earlier post regarding Simlab. Yesterday at 16.38 I received immediate acknowledgement of my order. Twenty seven prints on five different paper sizes. At 17.28, I received confirmation that the order had been completed. This morning I received a message that the package will be delivered today between 1pm and 2pm.

I have no connection with Simlab other than as a satisfied customer. Hope that this is useful.

David

Clockwork Donkey 15th May 2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobEW (Post 480792)
Any idea roughly what ink price per page is? Obviously one adds on the cost of the paper too ...

There are many variables, not least the size of print and whether it is mono or poly. I've never felt the need to work it out because if I need to print I, as a pro have to do so. One cartridge supply site quotes 1.5p per print for genuine cartridges.

Tram 15th May 2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobEW (Post 480792)

Sorry, I haven't got a clue
Not cheap because the cartridges are expensive, but its a hobby so don't really think about it in monetary terms