Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Vote - Keep or close we are doomed thread (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49074)

Jim Ford 26th October 2018 06:06 PM

Re: Vote - Keep or close we are doomed thread

There's a saying: 'Not to vote is to side with the winners'!

Jim

TimP 26th October 2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 461108)
There's a saying: 'Not to vote is to side with the winners'!

Jim

Havenít you said that before Jim?
Donít worry, Rebecca will be along shortly to confirm.

TimP 26th October 2018 06:31 PM

Is it me or do you see whoís voted for what before you vote yourself but then the names disappear once youíve actually voted?

Certainly saw some names up there before, although probably not everyone who had voted... Iím on the red wine so anything could be true!

Jim Ford 26th October 2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 461109)

Probably, but it bears repetition because many in 'The Lounge' appear to have have 'age impaired memories' and need reminding - like being reminded to take their pills.

;)

Jim

TimP 26th October 2018 06:42 PM

Pills? Bugger! Thanks.....

Rebecca 26th October 2018 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 461109)

Thanks for the timely invitation Tim *chr I've given up reminding Jim how many times he repeats things on here. The age old saying "Old dogs and new tricks" comes to mind *yes

This thread will probably turn out exactly the same as the other one. Simply a bunch of old Fogies with failing memories sat in their armchairs with furry slippers and a cup of Horlicks, repeating the same old very boring comments over and over again. However, the thing to remember is, each boring comment seems new and unique in their minds and provides a little light and ego boost each time they repeat it.

As regards this thread and discussing a poll on here it's a pointless exercise anyway. The poll means nothing and I'm sure the Forum Administration will not take the slightest bit of notice whatever the result may be. :)

Rebecca

Keith-369 26th October 2018 07:58 PM

I'm voting to keep it open forever.

In all fairness, who else is going to listen/read our moans, groans and even the odd amazing foresight/hindsight or even words of wisdom.

Certainly not our politicians or in fact anyone else who could make a difference to our world.

Zuiko 26th October 2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 461106)
So you agree there is no point in holding a second referendum John? :D

Not necessarily Nigel, I was referring specifically to voting on these threads. However, I am coming round to the view that a second referendum is not a good idea, not least because a different result will only increase division and bitterness in our society. Maybe the only way to learn the value of EU membership is to give it up and suffer the consequences. If 52% of turkeys vote for Christmas then i'm afraid the other 48% will have to join them in the oven. Anyway, it looks like the politicians will manage to fudge the issue by creating confusion about what Brexit actually means.

Wally 26th October 2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 461108)
There's a saying: 'Not to vote is to side with the winners'! Jim

:( Seems to me that in thie case of Brexit, voting for or against, the end result is that there will be no winners. So maybe we are all doomed and that includes the EU.

TimP 26th October 2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca (Post 461127)
Simply a bunch of old Fogies with failing memories sat in their armchairs with furry slippers and a cup of Horlicks, repeating the same old very boring comments over and over again.

Rebecca

Where did you get the ip address of my webcam?????

Gate Keeper 27th October 2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 461139)
:( Seems to me that in thie case of Brexit, voting for or against, the end result is that there will be no winners. So maybe we are all doomed and that includes the EU.

What? Think positively? Nooooo...... Not doing that. The experts say we're doomed. They must be right. The newspapers say we're doomed. The Guardian says the ones who voted to leave, are of low education. They must be right. The BBC say we're doomed. They're always right.
Anyone who says otherwise, is confused. Or stupid. Or misunderstood the question.
I know, cos that's what the experts say. Except the experts who say we're going to be fine, they're wrong. Don't ask why, they just are.
If by some miracle we are OK, the experts will tell us that we're not as OK as we could have been.
The experts want us to fail, and by god they won't quit until we do.

Jim Ford 27th October 2018 09:02 AM

In another post, Dave ('Sapper') say's he's going to Gibraltar, which reminds me:

What's the situation regarding Brexit with Gibraltar? Will it leave the E.U. with us and if so is there going to be a hard or soft border with Spain? If it stays in the E.U. what are the custom/tariff implications with us?

Jim

Gate Keeper 27th October 2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 461160)
In another post, Dave ('Sapper') say's he's going to Gibraltar, which reminds me:

What's the situation regarding Brexit with Gibraltar? Will it leave the E.U. with us and if so is there going to be a hard or soft border with Spain? If it stays in the E.U. what are the custom/tariff implications with us?

Jim

97% voted remain but it is democracy and they will have to leave, right? :D

Jim Ford 27th October 2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 461163)
97% voted remain but it is democracy and they will have to leave, right? :D

So there will be a border problem with Spain then. Still, they don't matter because they don't have seats in Parliament that the Tories can bribe to side with them!

Jim

Naughty Nigel 28th October 2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 461158)
The experts want us to fail, and by god they won't quit until we do.

The 'experts' have a vested interest in failure, or at least a vested interest in as many people as possible believing in failure. That way the 'experts' can sell newspapers, telly advertising and so forth on the back of failure, and at the end of the day the 'experts' can claim they were right all along.

But on the other hand, if Brexit looks to be working out for Britain the 'experts' will change sides and say "I told you so", whilst countless other 'experts' will crawl out of the woodwork and claim to have been right all along.

At the end of the day the 'experts' cannot lose, but we cannot win.

It's just like buying a diesel car to save the planet really. :rolleyes: