Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Articles from FourThirds-User.com (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Olympus unveils OM-D E-M5 Mark II (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36396)

Four Thirds User 5th February 2015 06:10 AM

Olympus unveils OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com) is a sibling site to the e-group.

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/489/em5iid.jpg

Today at the Japanese CIPA+ show in Japan Olympus takes the wraps off the replacement for the OM-D E-M5, its first OM-D Micro Four Thirds system camera. With such a good reputation earned by the E-M5 Olympus has opted to call the new camera the E-M5 Mark II. But although there is a glancing similarity in appearance to the original E-M5, the Mark II is to all intents and purposes a completely new design. Highlights include a 40 megapixel sensor-shift composite mode, multiple frame rate HD video modes up to 60p at last, Wi-Fi support, and a much hoped-for vari-angle rear LCD (at last).

More...

Ian 5th February 2015 06:14 AM

Re: Olympus unveils OM-D E-M5 Mark II

European journalists get their hands on the E-M5 Mark II next Monday at an event in Prague. I will be there and if I can get the communications sorted will be posting live during the day.

If you have any questions I can ask on your behalf about the new camera and Olympus' strategy, let me know :)

Ian

greenguru 5th February 2015 06:33 AM

A flying camera would certainly help with some of those difficult to get shots.

Ian 5th February 2015 07:04 AM

I can see a future where a drone is alongside an underwater housing as an official accessory :)

Ian

rawclicks 5th February 2015 07:47 AM

Hi Ian

I would love to see images shot at higher ISO from 800 and above.

More details on 40 megapixel sensor-shift composite mode will it work on fast moving objects ?

To get the 40mp image which mode we have to shoot in RAW or RAW+JPEG ? OR the new mode is called sensor-shift composite mode ?

Which editing software will support RAW image conversion to jpeg which is suppose to be 40mp ?

Cheers
Rahul

Ian 5th February 2015 08:05 AM

Good questions Rahul - it doesn't look likely that 40MP mode will work with fast moving subjects but I will certainly confirm this for you.

Ian

Wee man 5th February 2015 08:39 AM

Is support for 4/3 lenses gone with this model?

Julian 5th February 2015 08:40 AM

Any views on how this compares with the E-M1?

Pistnbroke 5th February 2015 08:41 AM

No where does it state the basic MP for the sensor ...20 ??

Wee man 5th February 2015 08:48 AM

It gives 16mp under key differences but 40 mp is possible with sensor shift.

themosttogain 5th February 2015 08:53 AM

Recieved an e-mail from Wex this morning with pricing...also mentions a 14-150mm II lens that I hadn't heard any mention of before now...unless i've just missed it...

Click here to see it if you're curious!

Melaka 5th February 2015 08:55 AM

I assume it takes the BLN1 battery but note with regret there is yet another grip added to an already long range.

Ergonomically it looks much better than its predecessor.

Ian 5th February 2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wee man (Post 329457)

No, but unlike the E-M1 PDAF is not supported, so autofocusing when using Four Thirds DSLR lenses won't be as fast and reliable.

Ian

cliff 5th February 2015 09:00 AM

What grip for this model, is it the same as the original ?

Ian 5th February 2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themosttogain (Post 329462)
Recieved an e-mail from Wex this morning with pricing...also mentions a 14-150mm II lens that I hadn't heard any mention of before now...unless i've just missed it...

Click here to see it if you're curious!

Yes, the m.Zuiko 14-150mm f/4-5.6 has been redesigned and gets dust and splash sealing.

Ian

Ian 5th February 2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff (Post 329467)
What grip for this model, is it the same as the original ?

It's still a two-part grip but the design is different; new one is the HLD-8. The old one is not compatible.

Ian

Ian 5th February 2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 329458)
Any views on how this compares with the E-M1?

The E-M1 is a must if you need to use Four Thirds DSLR lenses, but in many other areas the E-M5 ii is as good or better than the E-M1. There is a feature comparison table in my article here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2015/02/o...m5_mark_ii.php

Ian

Ian 5th February 2015 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melaka (Post 329464)
I assume it takes the BLN1 battery but note with regret there is yet another grip added to an already long range.

Ergonomically it looks much better than its predecessor.

Yes it uses BLN-1 batteries like the E-M5, E-M1 and E-P5, for example.

Ian

Rawcoll 5th February 2015 09:42 AM

Good to see Olympus continuing to push the envelope. The future's looking good!

Glad to see Oly is taking video seriously. Not something I require much of, but there does seem to be a groundswell of users wanting it these days, and I think it is necessary in order to stay competitive. Just so long as the codecs are up to snuff.

pdk42 5th February 2015 10:02 AM

It looks a really nice camera. I assume it's the same sensor as the E-M5 though - which is good and bad! I really like the output from this Sony-sourced device - in particular, the colours, esp reds, are better than from the Panasonic-based E-M1 IMHO. However, I'd really like to see an improvement in noise - it's fine in good light, but for critical work, or where some PP is needed at higher ISOs, the current sensor's limitations show. Maybe that'll happen with the E-M1 mk II?

However, I can see me buying one:

- fully articulating screen
- improved EVF
- improved IBIS
- improved ergonomics

The 40Mp mode sounds too restrictive to be genuinely useful - a point that Robin Wong makes clear in his review. It'll perhaps be useful for still life or landscapes in calm conditions, but in all cases only on a sturdy tripod.

Olybirder 5th February 2015 10:11 AM

That bounceable FL-LM3 mini flash looks like a brilliant idea. Unfortunately it seems that is uses an extra contact on the hotshoe, so it will not work on the other OMD cameras. That is a pity if it is the case.

Ron

Zuiko 5th February 2015 10:14 AM

This really is a big upgrade, not just a facelift. Most interesting feature, of course, is the 40mp composite sensor shift application. However, I don't see how this can cope with subject movement within the frame, so I suspect it will have limited practical use, but will be a great advantage when it is suitable. Other noticable plus points are redesigned controls, upgraded EVF, the return of the fully articulared LCD, 1/8000th miniumum shutter speed, electronic silent shutter option, increased number of focus points and improved video. The bank manager still won't let me get one, though. :D

Maybe second-hand in a few years time? :rolleyes:

Zuiko 5th February 2015 10:15 AM

Quick question, does it have a Sony or Panasonic sensor?

Ian 5th February 2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 329497)

No idea :) I will try to find out on Monday. The consensus is that the E-M1 sensor is made by Panasonic but Olympus had direct input on its design (Olympus actually designs and makes its own sensors for medical imaging equipment). The E-M5 Mark 1 sensor is made by Sony.

Ian

Ian 5th February 2015 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olybirder (Post 329495)
That bounceable FL-LM3 mini flash looks like a brilliant idea. Unfortunately it seems that is uses an extra contact on the hotshoe, so it will not work on the other OMD cameras. That is a pity if it is the case.

Ron

I will check this on Monday but do remember that we already have flash units that can act as RC flash commanders and these don't require additional contacts or the Accessory Port (which is missing on the E-M5 Mark II).

Ian

Dan in NC 5th February 2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 329465)
No, but unlike the E-M1 PDAF is not supported, so autofocusing when using Four Thirds DSLR lenses won't be as fast and reliable.

Ian

This appears to be an interesting camera, but the lack of PDAF is a show-stopper for me.

Dan

latestarter 5th February 2015 11:45 AM

If someone from Olympus could please call my wife and explain why I need this camera as it is superior in every way to my E-M1, I would really appreciate it.

I love my E-M1 but this E-M5 Mk II looks like a real cracker

Ian 5th February 2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in NC (Post 329524)
This appears to be an interesting camera, but the lack of PDAF is a show-stopper for me.

Dan

So you will be wanting an E-M1 Mark II then? :)

Ian

PS Don't forget the v.3.0 firmware release for the E-M1 out today; faster C-AF shooting and improved C-AF tracking.

Dan in NC 5th February 2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 329533)
So you will be wanting an E-M1 Mark II then? :)

Ian

PS Don't forget the v.3.0 firmware release for the E-M1 out today; faster C-AF shooting and improved C-AF tracking.

The upcoming 300mm f4 lens might be the ticket that brings me over m4/3. If the updated firmware improves the C-AF with the 300mm f4 to the level of the Canon 7D-II, then the EM-1 Mark II might be the way for me to go. I just can't rationalize replacing all of my 4/3 lenses with m4/3 counterparts.

Dan

Wee man 5th February 2015 12:08 PM

Just when is the ME1 firmware available to download?

Rawcoll 5th February 2015 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 329497)

According to CameraLabs it's the same sensor as in the original EM5, but it'd be worth Ian confirming this.

benvendetta 5th February 2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wee man (Post 329457)

I think it is Ed. Only the EM1 supports this. Oly wants us all to buy m43rds lenses rather than continuing to use our (superior????) 43rds glass. The Mk2 is just an update of the original EM5.

Ian 5th February 2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawcoll (Post 329542)
According to CameraLabs it's the same sensor as in the original EM5, but it'd be worth Ian confirming this.

It's possible my mate Gordon Laing at Cameralabs might have been able to ask this question already as I did miss a recent pre-launch briefing but I don't know if any VIPs from Japan who would really know the answer were present and anyway Olympus can be very cagey about such details. Seeing as there is an improved sensor (in the E-M1) I would have thought the 3 year old Sony one would have been retired by now.

Ian

benvendetta 5th February 2015 12:27 PM

All the info about the Mk 2 and the 14-150 and the new 8mm fisheye has been on the 43rds R*****s site for quite a while. I find it a good read and usually pretty accurate as it has been this time.

dbutch 5th February 2015 12:50 PM

Question, with the electronic shutter does that allow for flash sync at any shutter speed?

Dave

Ian 5th February 2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbutch (Post 329553)
Question, with the electronic shutter does that allow for flash sync at any shutter speed?

Dave

No mention of silent shutter sync speed so will add to my list for Monday.]

Ian

Ian 5th February 2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 329549)
All the info about the Mk 2 and the 14-150 and the new 8mm fisheye has been on the 43rds R*****s site for quite a while. I find it a good read and usually pretty accurate as it has been this time.

You can imagine this makes my life much more difficult than it deserves to be. But at least I know the information I am getting and often have to sit on is official and correct.

Ian

Ian 5th February 2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 329546)
I think it is Ed. Only the EM1 supports this. Oly wants us all to buy m43rds lenses rather than continuing to use our (superior????) 43rds glass. The Mk2 is just an update of the original EM5.

The Mk2 is basically a new camera although in the same spirit as the original E-M5. Practically only the battery remains the same.

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham 5th February 2015 01:32 PM

With no combined AV / USB (I assume the 12 pin skt had to change for tethering) can live view be streamed via HDMI

Thanks Ian.

Ian 5th February 2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 329566)
With no combined AV / USB (I assume the 12 pin skt had to change for tethering) can live view be streamed via HDMI

Thanks Ian.

Who says there is no combined AV/USB port? I'm pretty sure it's the same one we have known and loved since the E-500?

Ian