Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   If you happen to come down under...... (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44565)

Ross the fiddler 20th March 2017 11:20 AM

If you happen to come down under......

You might get to visit the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, as others have done. *yes

Anyhow, while wasting time instead of working I happened upon this Youtube clip of someone making that visit, and it shows the updated Scenic Railway which is much safer than the old one.

The last time I rode it, it was like this. :W)

Anyhow, we're enjoying a lot of rain right now & it is forecast to keep going for at least another week. We've had over 300mm this month so far. :rolleyes:

Hopefully it is better weather for any that visit, unlike the very wet time Paul (pdk42) experienced.

*chr

Phill D 20th March 2017 11:48 AM

Re: If you happen to come down under......

What a really good amateur video and by someone from my neck of the woods too. Thanks for posting it does look like an amazing place. Hope to visit one day, looking at those walks I'd better start on convincing the family soon.

iso 20th March 2017 07:22 PM

Bugger - We were there this time last year, and staying with a local - but he didn't mention the railway. :mad:

Ross the fiddler 21st March 2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iso (Post 409158)
Bugger - We were there this time last year, and staying with a local - but he didn't mention the railway. :mad:

Did he take you anywhere? Govetts Leap lookout in Blackheath is a popular spot that you can drive straight to (with further walks etc), but Scenic World lookout & rides on the south side of Katoomba is a regular tourist spot. The Scenic Cableway is a more comfortable way to travel down to the valley walkway, as you would have seen later in that first video. Did you go on that instead?

Jim Ford 21st March 2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iso (Post 409158)

It's the main reason why I don't visit strange far away places! I've often visited a place and when I've come back and mentioned it to someone they've said 'did you see the ....' - and I hadn't!

Jim

Wee man 21st March 2017 12:14 PM

Am currently following the cycling event across the south coast of your large county online. The distance covered each day is nearly the length of our wee country!
I think it is 5400km in total and is not supported, brave people.

Wee Man

Ross the fiddler 21st March 2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 409212)
It's the main reason why I don't visit strange far away places! I've often visited a place and when I've come back and mentioned it to someone they've said 'did you see the ....' - and I hadn't!

Jim

Are we a 'strange, far away' place? :rolleyes: ;) Or maybe you are in a 'strange, far away' place from us. :p :D

I guess I don't like travelling to 'strange, far away' places either. In fact I haven't been outside my country & only been to two other of our states (Vic & SA). I leave the travelling to my children. :rolleyes:

*chr

Ross the fiddler 21st March 2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wee man (Post 409225)
Am currently following the cycling event across the south coast of your large county online. The distance covered each day is nearly the length of our wee country!
I think it is 5400km in total and is not supported, brave people.

Wee Man

That is certainly for the 'very fit'! *yes :D One of my son-in-laws would have liked to have joined in on one late last year but there was a child on the way that took precedence instead. *yes

*chr

iso 21st March 2017 06:51 PM

Actually Ross he was very good at showing us the sites. One that sticks in the mind is the original coach 'road' of the first crossing. Can't remember the date but can remember how foolhardy the whole idea looked - but they succeeded - amazing.