PDA

View Full Version : Samyang 85mm/ 1.4 is good for 4/3 as well ?

sputnik
21st June 2010, 09:37 PM
Hi all
it's agreed that perfect portrait focal length shouldn't exceed 105 mm(35mm)
Canon& Nikon folks are quite after 85mm / 1.4 focal length which results in stunning portraits though this focal length is more than 105 mm keeping in mind the 1.5 or 1.6 crop factor of Canon and Nikon
I am wondering whether Samyang(Korean brand lens)85mm/1.4 for Olympus would be sensible choice for portraits, again keeping in mind the x2 crop factor?

This humble lens is quite a stir in Canon and Nikon community for cheap alternative to expensive branded lens of the exact focal length
it's manual and priced around 225-250

Your thoughts are much appreciated

Brollex
1st February 2011, 06:43 PM
Great for me on the E 620:)

theMusicMan
1st February 2011, 07:22 PM
Hi all
it's agreed that perfect portrait focal length shouldn't exceed 105 mm(35mm)
Canon& Nikon folks are quite after 85mm / 1.4 focal length which results in stunning portraits though this focal length is more than 105 mm keeping in mind the 1.5 or 1.6 crop factor of Canon and Nikon
I am wondering whether Samyang(Korean brand lens)85mm/1.4 for Olympus would be sensible choice for portraits, again keeping in mind the x2 crop factor?

This humble lens is quite a stir in Canon and Nikon community for cheap alternative to expensive branded lens of the exact focal length
it's manual and priced around 225-250

Your thoughts are much appreciated

... is it?

I am not sure that's agreed. Sure, 85mm is a good focal length, but for me the best focal length for portraiture is what works for the shot.