PDA

View Full Version : Lens stockists

jonesy
21st June 2010, 09:17 PM
Does anyone know how to find out which stores have Oly lenses in stock.

My son wants (he thinks) a macro lens, but before we buy one we will hire one from Ian, but before the hire, he wants to have a look at one or two to see the differences in magnification, physical size and weight, and how they feel on an E410.

We are based in Nottingham, but when I was looking to buy my E620, the stores round here had little or no Oly gear in at all, and as this lens will be a HUGE purchase for my son, he needs to get it right.

(I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask... sorry for the garbled message :) )

Thanks in advance

E-3
21st June 2010, 09:21 PM
Which lenses are on his short list? :)

jonesy
21st June 2010, 09:33 PM
I'll get back to you on that (he's gone to bed... got one of his GCSEs tomorrow)

He was talking about the 35 or the 50mm, but I could be wrong.

theMusicMan
21st June 2010, 09:36 PM
I have the 35mm Macro and find it good for what I am capable of Tracey. It's also the cheaper of the two models.

However, despite the Oly 50mm being a lot more expensive, this is the one I would go for if I had the chance again. It is one of the sharpest lenses ever made... ever... on any system... ever... ever!

Oh... and it's f2 :)

snaarman
22nd June 2010, 07:15 AM
However, despite the Oly 50mm being a lot more expensive, this is the one I would go for if I had the chance again. It is one of the sharpest lenses ever made... ever... on any system... ever... ever!

Oh... and it's f2 :)

Yes, its an astonishing lens, fully recommended. You sometimes see them here going second hand, but you need to spot it, decide quickly and pounce, or it's gone (that's how I got mine).

Pete

Pete Riley
22nd June 2010, 08:34 AM
There is a London Camera exchange in Nottingham. They are In my experience very helpful. The address is:
London Camera Exchange
7 Pelham Street
Nottingham
NG1 2NX(or K)
Sorry I don't know telephone number off hand.

The Saint
22nd June 2010, 11:49 AM
I have the ZD 35mm, ZD50mm and Sigma 150mm.

The 35mm f3.5 is good value for the price, however to get minimal focus distance you have to be on top of the subject, which is fine for flowers, but not so good for bugs and insects.

The 50mm f2 doesn't have the same magnification as the 35mm, although the quality of the images is outstanding with great DOF. It also doubles up was a good portraite lens.

The Sigma 150mm f2.8 is getting on the large side and is a little harder to handle (good solid tripod helps), but gives you a good distance between the subject and minimal focus distance and has the same magnification as the 35mm.

There is also a Sigma 105mm which gets good reviews too although I have never tried one.

Depending on what you want to use the lens for, but if it's primarily for macro a OM maybe suitable and keep the cost down, as typically when taking macro images it's best to be in manual focus.

Although not local to you, SRS in Watford normally have a good selection of Olympus lenses if your planning on coming down this way. If your lucky you might still be able to grab yourself a bargin on a ZD 35mm, PC world/Currys have been selling them off around the 100 mark, although trying to find one might be difficult.

Simon

E-3
22nd June 2010, 12:14 PM
If your lucky you might still be able to grab yourself a bargin on a ZD 35mm, PC world/Currys have been selling them off around the 100 mark, although trying to find one might be difficult.

I am afraid this offer has well & truly expired :(

The Saint
22nd June 2010, 12:17 PM
James

I actually saw one in a local PC world a couple of weeks ago!

I think you would have to be very lucky to find one, but it's always worth a look! Curry's in Bluewater had a 12-60mm for low 500's on Saturday.

Simon

E-3
22nd June 2010, 02:47 PM
Here is a picture of a pansy that I took in the garden this afternoon with the ZD 35mm macro lens, just to give you something to go off :)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P6220278.JPG

jonesy
22nd June 2010, 07:24 PM
There is a London Camera exchange in Nottingham. They are In my experience very helpful. The address is:
London Camera Exchange
7 Pelham Street
Nottingham
NG1 2NX(or K)
Sorry I don't know telephone number off hand.

Thanks for that, I will go and look, but last time we went in, they seemed to be Sony (? If I remember correctly) and I dont remember seeing much Oly gear in there... but I will double check next time I go into the city.

snag2000
23rd June 2010, 04:03 PM
If you want second hand, keep an eye on Ffordes - they don't have any on their list just now, but seem to have a fair amount passing through.

Mike