PDA

View Full Version : Pro olympus Photographer featured in Magazine

Nick
18th June 2010, 01:04 PM
I've just recieved this month's Practical Photography and was pleased to see that their Pro Portfolio this month was an olympus user!

His name is Hajdu Tamas and he shoots macro, fine art and documentary images. He uses 2 E-3's, a 50mm f2 and Sigma 105 f2.8

They said, 'His gear is equally anti-super hero'.

Web links are www.behance.net and http://hajdutamas.blogspot.com

Toonman
18th June 2010, 02:16 PM
They said, 'His gear is equally anti-super hero'.]

Is that a complement or not? :confused:

Nick
18th June 2010, 02:36 PM
Don't think so

Crippledsandwich
20th July 2010, 06:47 PM
Just had to revisit the Interview and i have got to say his macro work is second to none. I Hate the way most magazines out there are biased to the big two, I really wonder if they're paid to bump up the reviews and features:confused:

E-3
20th July 2010, 08:01 PM
I really wonder if they're paid to bump up the reviews and features:confused:

Of course they are taking backhanders, Olympus can`t be worse at everything :)

Zuiko
20th July 2010, 09:05 PM
I honestly don't believe magazine staff (in the UK at least) take backhanders to promote Canikon. I think they genuinely believe what they say and use Canikon themselves because they, like so many photographers, are caught up in the whole Canikon superiority illusion - it is now the status quo.

Also, to think they actually know any better pre-supposes that they are expert photographers themselves, when the reality is that they are just expert journalists.

To be honest, I'm now at the stage where I don't worry too much what others are using - in fact, sometimes using my E-3 is like having a secret weapon, like when photographing an event in the rain and being the only tog with his camera out of the bag or watching others doubled over in agony for low level shots of flowers, or reading lengthy discussions on other forums about sensor cleaning. Apparently, for many photographers removing dust bunnies is part of their standard pp workflow! Some photographers rejoice in the high ISO superiority of their camera yet worry and fuss over the sharpness of their kit lenses. But as long as they are happy and I'm happy that's all that matters. :)

Sure, it's a marketing problem for Olympus, but that's for them to worry about. They could help themselves a lot just by being more transparent about their future plans. On the plus side the E-5 will probably be something special because it needs to be something special. Pressure on them to excel themselves is maybe a good thing! :D

Crippledsandwich
20th July 2010, 09:50 PM
hope you're right about the E5, i'm getting very fed up of reading rumour sites stating that Olympus is ready to drop four thirds DSLRs in favour of the micro four thirds

Zuiko
20th July 2010, 10:01 PM
hope you're right about the E5, i'm getting very fed up of reading rumour sites stating that Olympus is ready to drop four thirds DSLRs in favour of the micro four thirds

That's the trouble with rumours and why I say it would be in Olympus's interest to be more transparent with their plans.

I remember a rumour not long ago that England were going to win the World Cup! *laugh

PaulE
20th July 2010, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure it's a case of direct back handers but more case of the magazine loosing vital income should their articles not mention products by those camera manufacturers that sponsor them. If the journalists don't slip in the words Canon or Nikon (usually) somewhere in their articles then the editor will or else in the long term there is no magazine and therefore no jobs for the so called experts /journalists that contribute to it. The problem can be seen in just about any sports / enthusiast magazine that you care to mention though so the problem is not unique to photography.

Personally I gave up spending money on photography magazines when I realised that not one of them gave a honest review of Olympus gear - the lack of basic photographic understanding and especially the lack of knowledge of gear outside of the Canikon brands in many of the magazine articles is bordering on diabolical. Reading for example that a major downside to the Olympus 35mm macro was it's lack of in lens image stabilisation or the fact that it was slow to focus due to a lack of in inbuilt AF motor ??? doesn't fill me with any confidence that the journalist has the first idea bout what he's talking about. Magazines that I occaisionally pick up, having been recycled at the camera club, tend to serve only as a picture book for me now and I very rarely bother to read the crap that accompanies the images and TBH I never feel like I'm missing out on anything by doing that.

E-3
20th July 2010, 11:25 PM
I say it would be in Olympus's interest to be more transparent with their plans.

I could not agree more. Olympus are their own worst enemy!

cinders
21st July 2010, 08:41 AM
Definately. A friend of mine came away from a camera shop last week with the impression that Olympus were dropping the E-series.

He's been asking me for advice on which make to go with - having decided to delve intot he murky world of DSLR. Of course I mentioned the benfits of Olympus, and then told him that most camera shops would try and sell him a Canikon without mentioning any others. He was impressed with the light weight of the E620.

But I found it difficult to really promote the brand without knowing if they'll continue to support it...

jonesy
21st July 2010, 06:16 PM
If you look at the Jessops website, there is not a single Olympus DSLR available in their "camera selector" software. If none of the "big" camera stores are going to stock our brand, what future is there for the Oly DSLR? Not many people are willing to spend on something they havent tried on for size.