PDA

View Full Version : Finally Lost Patience

malcapone
18th June 2010, 05:57 AM
Well - Nobody can say I didnt try with the E-620..........
Hours and hours of changing minute settings making the menu virtually stand on its head but alas to no avail.
There have been many discussions on here, take blu-by-u for example who was driven insane by it the same way as me. There seems to be 2 camps on here - the love it gang - and the hate it gang. Now I'm not dissing anyone for loving it because I genuinely believe what a few members have said that some of these sensors are better than others which is scarey when you are paying £600 plus money for a camera it shouldnt happen.
I'm not saying it doesnt take good photos (it does) but in half the cases they are the same quality as an E-410 and in half they are worse. That should never happen -
Under Exposure - Noise - too many problems to mention - I could go on all day.
The upshot of it all is - I have sold this camera with its Pancake lens - which was the only decent thing about it but its gone because it was part of the package. What annoys me is how Olympus have put all thier effort into the micro four thirds line up and neglected the SLR market by selling what amounts to FRIDAY CAMERAS - and last but not least (while I'm Ranting)
ART Filters???? WHY???
I still have my E-410 and will stick with it but I need a better camera for high quality work though I doubt it will be an olympus - its a shame really because I have stood an a soap box and preached to anyone who would listen how good Olympus are but I feel let down
sorry if I have annoyed anyone with this thread but I needed to get it off ny chest.
Alan ..... Disillusioned

E-410 14/42 40/150 T20

Radar
18th June 2010, 07:12 AM
Sorry to hear your experience with the camera. Luckily I've passed the testing-and-trying stage and now have settings on my E-600 I am really happy with for my use (some limitations).

Every person's got their own experience but that's also why there are various brands and models out there. Same is i.e. in the running shoe business. I can't wear Asics, New Balance is not balanced enough etc.. In the end it's about you finding a camera you're happy with. I'm also soon in need for a more professional upgrade and I have to say; unless Olympus digs up something after the summer I am considering another brand.

Zuiko
18th June 2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Alan, it's not a cae of being annoyed by this thread, anyone with an ounce of decency will feel genuinely sorry for you. You've obviuosly invested a lot of time and effort, as well as money, in a brand you trust and to which you've been loyal, only to feel let down.

It does happen. Recently on another forum the owner of a brand new Canon 5DII lamented that he seems to have bought a lemon. It could be that you've had similar bad luck and have also bought a duff one, or it could be the camera for some reason just does not suit you. Either way it is clearly unnacceptable. If you haven't already done so it might be worth contacting Olympus to request the loan of another 620 to confirm whether or not it's your specific camera that produces the poor results.

Other than that it's either try an E-30 or E-3, or wait to see what the E-5 is like - or move on to another brand. If you are not getting on with Olympus nobody would blame you for trying Nikon, Canon or any other brand. I just hope something works out for you and you can get back to enjoying your photography.

E-3
18th June 2010, 10:46 AM
I have said it before and I will say it again. I changed my camera a few months ago from a e-3 to a e-620 and love the results I am getting. I really do believe you must have had a dud one! and if this is the case then it should never have happend. I hope you find a camera that you get on with. Have you any thoughts on what you are going to replace it with?

Toonman
18th June 2010, 12:25 PM
I must say that I'm struggling to get decent noise performance at anything over 400 iso on my E600. I have tried everything I can think of however, noise in shadow areas or even dark skin is very prominent especially at iso 800. I'm not giving up though, I knew that Olympus did not match other brands iso performance when I bought it. Before I would leave my DSLR at home because of weight issues now, I carry it about much more. I am soldering on in an effort to reduce noise and keep detail. I am trying out 'Define' as mentioned in another thread and hope it will improve performance.

I have read that disabling the shadow priority mode helps, anybody tried that?

Apart from noise....what a cracking camera. :)

E-3
18th June 2010, 12:47 PM
Here is a picture I took yesterday on my e-620 @ ISO 800 straight out of the camera, apart from a slight crop & obviously re-size to get it to upload to here. Noise in my opinion is very good! :)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Orange_Lily.jpg

Toonman
18th June 2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for that James.

Jpg or Raw?

I know that the E600/E620 is capable of better noise performance it's probabally me but that picture of yours beats anything my E600 turns out at iso 800. What settings do you use?

Thanks
Adam

Ross the fiddler
18th June 2010, 01:04 PM
I must say that I'm struggling to get decent noise performance at anything over 400 iso on my E600. I have tried everything I can think of however, noise in shadow areas or even dark skin is very prominent especially at iso 800. I'm not giving up though, I knew that Olympus did not match other brands iso performance when I bought it. Before I would leave my DSLR at home because of weight issues now, I carry it about much more. I am soldering on in an effort to reduce noise and keep detail. I am trying out 'Define' as mentioned in another thread and hope it will improve performance.

I have read that disabling the shadow priority mode helps, anybody tried that?

Apart from noise....what a cracking camera. :)

Using auto gradation (shadow adjustment) with anything beyond ISO 200 is best avoided as the shadow areas will be amplified to a much higher ISO equivalent, so if auto gradation is used with ISO 400 the shadow areas could be equivalent to well over ISO 800 & may show noise. Normal gradation up to ISO 800 should be typically good & above if & when noise is noticed, there is always great programs like Noise Ninja or Neat Image which are very good at cleaning up quite noisy images. Of course, if you save in JPEG & RAW, you can always change the auto gradation back to normal or vice versa in the RAW developer of Olympus Viewer 2.

The E600 series camera should be a nice camera as is the E30.

Ross

Toonman
18th June 2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks Ross

E-3
18th June 2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for that James.

Jpg or Raw?

I know that the E600/E620 is capable of better noise performance it's probabally me but that picture of yours beats anything my E600 turns out at iso 800. What settings do you use?

Thanks
Adam

This was a jpg (LSF) the EXIF data should be uploaded with it :)

Toonman
18th June 2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks again James.

Adam

Radar
18th June 2010, 01:56 PM
Also managed to control the ISO fairly Ok. This is ISO 1000 +0.7 and adjusted in Photoshop:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/979/Pendragon-rider.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/24511)

And this is ISO1600. +0.7EV and adjusted with levels in Photoshop to get it a little darker :

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4711239779_5a401836ea_b.jpg

Quite pleased with the ISO noise when I've learned how to control it.

Toonman
18th June 2010, 02:05 PM
Radar says "Quite pleased with the ISO noise when I've learned how to control it."

Thats what I'm trying to acheive.

Good shots Radar, wearing the right 'footy' kit too.:)

malcapone
18th June 2010, 02:39 PM
I'm thinking about the Nikon D90 or the Canon 50d - I genuinely think I bought a Lemon with the E-620 but I can't afford to make the same mistake again because I lost money selling it
I will keep the E-410 because with the 14/42 and 40/150 its a great camera to carry around - much lighter than the magnesium bodied Nikon or Canon
thanx for everybodys support on this site - ur all top guys

Radar
18th June 2010, 02:49 PM
A little help on the decicion :

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D90-D80-D300-Canon-50D-Compared.shtml

jonesy
18th June 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm thinking about the Nikon D90 or the Canon 50d - I genuinely think I bought a Lemon with the E-620 but I can't afford to make the same mistake again because I lost money selling it
I will keep the E-410 because with the 14/42 and 40/150 its a great camera to carry around - much lighter than the magnesium bodied Nikon or Canon

Doesnt the hire service here hire the cameras? Maybe it would be worth hiring one on a try before you switch basis.

I have also had "thoughts" about switching brands in the past, but that was before I found this place and learned how to control my camera a little better.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do *chr

E-3
18th June 2010, 03:19 PM

I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide. I dont think anyone can blame you for not buying another Olympus, after all you have had a bad experience with them...............it`s just a great shame :)

Meogeo
18th June 2010, 04:40 PM

I bought the Nikon D90, and I have to say I am well pleased, I also have a Olympus E-510 and I did not want to lose to much money on the Olympus so I kept it and have the 70-300 lens on it constantly, I do feel for you with your troubles with the 620 and it must of upset you enough to want to change, before I bought the D90 I tried the Canon 50D but I found it to bulky, so I opted for the D90, all I can say is go to jessops and feel both cameras before you buy, if you buy before the end of june the nikon has £60 cashback, I do wish you well with the choice of camera because it is allways hard buying into anything new with such a high price.

malcapone
20th June 2010, 04:53 AM
Thanx guys for the good advice - I have been told too that the 50d suffers from noise as well because they tried to cram too much on a cmos chip
so the search goes on................*chr

Radar
20th June 2010, 07:00 AM
Every camera you find in the lower price range will have noise "problems". Olympus 620 is doing well in tests against cameras like nikon D300 and D90. The difference is when you pass ISO1000. But if you google around you'll find lots of people writing about how good the E600/620 is with the right settings compared to other cameras.

So I don't think the grass is that much greener on the other side unless you want to spend a lot of money on Full Frame or hi-end DX-cameras.

Greytop
20th June 2010, 11:12 AM
For what its worth I sold all my Olympus gear in early 2009 and moved over to Pentax firstly with the K20D and the excellent K-7 (APS-C bodies), both lovely cameras with superb build quality, excellent output and pretty impressive high ISO performance compared to my old E-510.

However after over a year with Pentax I found that I began to miss the quality of the Olympus glass. I had invested in some top quality Pentax glass (mainly zooms) so it was a bit frustrating to find that you had to deal with performance short comings (optimum apertures for sharpness across the frame, slow focussing etc). In the end I came back and I am very happy I did, even with the compromise of more limited high ISO performance and the not inexpensive cost involved. In fact I'm now even looking around for an E-510 as a back up to my E-30 :D

My point, no camera system is perfect you will always find areas that one manufacturer does better than another. It just comes down to which one suits you best. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence ;)

forester
20th June 2010, 11:21 AM
Thanx guys for the good advice - I have been told too that the 50d suffers from noise as well because they tried to cram too much on a cmos chip
so the search goes on................*chr

All digital cameras suffer? with noise, In wet film days if you used a fast film you expected “grain” but that was anything over ASA 800 for a film (pro quality).
Most Noise can be dealt with on a computer using good software, the main thing in a camera these days is are you happy with the “feel of the body” also controls and of the lenses that are available.
These things are the most important + of course a couple of others.
I was a Canon user and the best one I had was a Canon 1D Mk11n, super bit of kit but far to heavy for me, I also had what many reviewers said was the best thing since sliced bread Canon 7D , for me it was horrible , bad metering, poor af tracking, my “keepers” on that camera were down to less than 30%, may be it was me, but it soon went, I hated it.
So what ever you get check it out first and make sure it will do what you want it to.
Best of luck with your search.
Regards *chr
richard

manxgoose
10th July 2010, 03:58 PM
Well - Nobody can say I didnt try with the E-620..........
Hours and hours of changing minute settings making the menu virtually stand on its head but alas to no avail.
There have been many discussions on here, take blu-by-u for example who was driven insane by it the same way as me. There seems to be 2 camps on here - the love it gang - and the hate it gang. Now I'm not dissing anyone for loving it because I genuinely believe what a few members have said that some of these sensors are better than others which is scarey when you are paying £600 plus money for a camera it shouldnt happen.
I'm not saying it doesnt take good photos (it does) but in half the cases they are the same quality as an E-410 and in half they are worse. That should never happen -
Under Exposure - Noise - too many problems to mention - I could go on all day.
The upshot of it all is - I have sold this camera with its Pancake lens - which was the only decent thing about it but its gone because it was part of the package. What annoys me is how Olympus have put all thier effort into the micro four thirds line up and neglected the SLR market by selling what amounts to FRIDAY CAMERAS - and last but not least (while I'm Ranting)
ART Filters???? WHY???
I still have my E-410 and will stick with it but I need a better camera for high quality work though I doubt it will be an olympus - its a shame really because I have stood an a soap box and preached to anyone who would listen how good Olympus are but I feel let down
sorry if I have annoyed anyone with this thread but I needed to get it off ny chest.
Alan ..... Disillusioned

E-410 14/42 40/150 T20

Have gone through the same torment, with my 620, to the point that after more than forty years taking photos, I find it hard to pick up the camera again. Same problems, same approach but just no joy. Have a few old and cheap digi cameras that, set to auto, often out perform the Oly. I have spent a week going around with a friend who has a Fuji Finepix S9600, taking photo’s, standing next to each other, shooting the same subjects, comparing settings and trying different things. The S9600 just out performed the Oly at least nine out of ten shots. Occasionally (very rear) the 620 will produce a spectacular quality shot…. and that is one of the reasons I’m not giving up yet. Having said that I do feel Olympus has pushed out quite a few 620’s , that have slipped through quality control. There’s just too many people complaining about the same thing for my liking.

Chris….disillusioned

E-3
10th July 2010, 04:26 PM
Have gone through the same torment, with my 620, to the point that after more than forty years taking photos, I find it hard to pick up the camera again. Same problems, same approach but just no joy. Have a few old and cheap digi cameras that, set to auto, often out perform the Oly. I have spent a week going around with a friend who has a Fuji Finepix S9600, taking photo’s, standing next to each other, shooting the same subjects, comparing settings and trying different things. The S9600 just out performed the Oly at least nine out of ten shots. Occasionally (very rear) the 620 will produce a spectacular quality shot…. and that is one of the reasons I’m not giving up yet. Having said that I do feel Olympus has pushed out quite a few 620’s , that have slipped through quality control. There’s just too many people complaining about the same thing for my liking.

Chris….disillusioned

Hi Chris, can you post some examples for us to see? :)

manxgoose
10th July 2010, 04:36 PM
Yes, I will give it a go. (never attempted this yet, and new to forums)
You will have to be patient……......

Zuiko
10th July 2010, 09:05 PM
Yes, I will give it a go. (never attempted this yet, and new to forums)
You will have to be patient……......

Hi Manxgoose,

This could help you post pictures on the forum:-

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10201

Ulfric M Douglas
17th July 2010, 01:40 PM
... I have spent a week going around with a friend who has a Fuji Finepix S9600, taking photo’s, standing next to each other, shooting the same subjects, comparing settings and trying different things. The S9600 just out performed the Oly at least nine out of ten shots. ...
Hey Chris, sorry to hear about your e-620.
I recently got the pics a friend and I took on a woodland walk (with us and e-410&oldlens, e-600&kitlens, g1&kitlens) using Fuji ... hang on ...S100FS which is a later successor to that s9600, which he had previously. (Huge slow camera)
I'm going to put up a couple for shots from the e-600 and the fuji in a mo ... interesting to see the results from our examples of the same-ish cameras.

Fuji S100FS colour adjusted away from blue.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7348/bricksinthewallfujis100.jpg

Honestly they both took decent photos which needed colour adjustment to match what I remember of the scenes. The Fuji was way too blue/grey the Oly was too brown.

Ulfric M Douglas
17th July 2010, 02:42 PM
Some more from the same walk.
e600 & kit lens. Colour adjusted less red/brown.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7545/overhanginge6001000.jpg

Fuji S100FS. No adjustment.
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8894/overhangingfujis100fs10.jpg

Lumix G1. No adjustment.
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9919/overhangingg11000.jpg

I have to say that even if the Fuji did make better images I couldn't possibly own and use one. hideous EVF, woeful focus point, slow operation, monster battery drain ... etc etc.

Zuiko
17th July 2010, 02:54 PM
In the shots of the bare branches against a white sky, just look at the CA of the Fuji (awful, nearly pokes your eye out) to the Olympus (what CA?) :D

Ulfric M Douglas
18th July 2010, 12:33 PM
In the shots of the bare branches against a white sky, just look at the CA of the Fuji (awful, nearly pokes your eye out) to the Olympus (what CA?) :D
Also, If I'd had this sony alpha450 with my friend's Tamron100-300 the purple leaves and branches really do spoil everything against a skyline!

Anyway, back to white balance ... yeay!

I've just been exploring our Oly e-600's WB bracketting. in the manual it says it takes 3 frames : meaning it MAKES 3 frames from one shot ... fine.
In practice when I chose amber/blue AND green/magenta it actually made 9 frames from one shot!! Awesome. Really perfect for nailing that brownish WB issue. It appears that on an overcast day like this the default cloudy WB and auto WB aren't being accurate enough and giving me a brownish effect. I'm setting WB G+2 for the moment.

Zuiko
18th July 2010, 12:57 PM
Also, If I'd had this sony alpha450 with my friend's Tamron100-300 the purple leaves and branches really do spoil everything against a skyline!

Anyway, back to white balance ... yeay!

I've just been exploring our Oly e-600's WB bracketting. in the manual it says it takes 3 frames : meaning it MAKES 3 frames from one shot ... fine.
In practice when I chose amber/blue AND green/magenta it actually made 9 frames from one shot!! Awesome. Really perfect for nailing that brownish WB issue. It appears that on an overcast day like this the default cloudy WB and auto WB aren't being accurate enough and giving me a brownish effect. I'm setting WB G+2 for the moment.

For overcast, try setting around 7000K in the custom WB setting.