PDA

View Full Version : Macbook HDD upgrade thig evening... wish me luck!

theMusicMan
22nd February 2008, 04:02 PM
Hey All

I decided that I needed to upgrade the internal HDD in my Macbook as this is the only thing I feel is under-spec'ed with it. So, I bought myself a nice WD 250Gb internal drive, and a mate too, and he is coming down this evening when we will both upgrade our HDD's.

Haven't decided if I am going to simply create a new empty drive containing just the OS, or if I am going to use a tool to clone the drive thus avoiding having to reinstall all my apps again.

I'll let you know how it all goes. Anyone else done this...?

emirpprime
22nd February 2008, 10:32 PM
You've probably done by now? How did it go?
As it happened I did this yesterday. It went fine. Luckily I have lots of HDDs lying around so made a fresh clone of the HDD using Super Duper (part of my backup routine anyway), whipped out the old drive, inserted the new, booted from the clone (connected via firewire, by holding alt at power on) and then used Disk Utility to restore to the new drive. Worked like a charm. Booted up and just as if nothing had changed, except for the roomy feeling.
I considered going for a fresh install, but since I did that when moving to Leopard not too long ago I decided to sidestep reinstalling all my apps... CS3 suite is the worst as it takes absolutely ages!

On another note, a while back you were having problems with Lightroom and network drives, did you get that sorted?

All the best,
Phil

theMusicMan
22nd February 2008, 11:28 PM
Hey Phil

Could do with your advice if I may please.

I couldn't do the HDD upgrade after all this evening as I couldn't locate my Leopard DVD!!!! grrrrr.... So, it's off to Cardiff tomorrow to purchase another Leopard upgrade then to proceed.

Anyway, though the fact that I can't find my legit DVD of OSX Leopard (my Mac was purchased prior to this being repeased) is a pain in the butt... I don't mind purchasing another copy as I prefer to do things legally.

Now... I have downloaded SuperDuper! and would love some clear instructions as to how to go through the process of cloning. You mention you made a "fresh clone of the HDD"... what drive did you do this to? I have 2 external HDD's, but I thought the process of creating a clone erased the data on the destination drive...? I don't want to erase any of my external HDD's and so I am considering a fresh install though I'd prefer a clone.

How do I do this Phil...?

emirpprime
23rd February 2008, 09:23 AM
Hi John.

The trick in that case is to clone to a Disk Image. However... this requires an external drive formatted as a Mac disk and not Fat32/NTFS. This is because the disk image will be over 4gb and they have trouble with single files over that size.

So if you have used any of your external drives to make a clone previously, they would be ideal.
When you open SuperDuper!, connect your external drives, select your internal HDD in the Copy box. Then select New Disk Image in the To box.
It will asks you where to save it (Select one of your external drives), and make sure to tick the option box Create A Sparse Disk Image.
Then go into Option on the main screen, and check Repair Permissions (might be on the advanced screen, I don't remember). This will just make sure it isn't copying any common problems.

That should do it.

Once done, you will need to shut down, install the new drive, and then boot from an install CD (doesn't matter if it is Tiger or Leopard). Once you get into Installer (I think you have to choose the language first), at the top you have the usual Apple menu bar. One of the options at the top is Disk Utility (it might be under Tools or something similar). Open that. Click on the new HDD and select Restore.
Click on the Image box and select your image on your external drive.
Then drag the new HDD icon from the left menu to the Destination box. Cross your fingers and hit Restore. That should do it. Then you can reboot and should be back to where you were.

But. If you don't have an external drive that isn't formatted in HFS or similar, you can still do it using Carbon Copy Cloner. Another good, free, cloning program. The instructions are exactly the same, except when you choose New Disk Image, select Read Only Disk Image, this will then allow you to check the child option Segment Disk Image. You can set the max size up to 4Gb, I would probably play it safe and go for 3.5 or so.
I haven't tried this method myself but there is no reason it shouldn't work.

Lastly, for a simply life, if you can wait until Monday/Tuesday (depending on when you got back to me and RM) I will happily loan you a 160gb 2.5" external USB drive I have here doing nothing. You could use that to make a straight clone using Super Duper! without messing with disk images. Just PM me your address if you fancy it, its no problem.

Hope that is of some help! It isn't as troublesome as my description may suggest. There is just lots of waiting around for the cloning to happen.

Ooh, there is one more option, you don't have another Mac laptop do yo by chance? Just if you do, put the new drive in it, hold T while you turn it on and it will go into Target Disk Mode, basically making it an external Firewire Drive. Connect it via FW to your mac, then use Super Duper! to clone direct to is. Then drop it into your mac. All done.

All the best,
Phil

theMusicMan
23rd February 2008, 09:49 AM
Fantastic advice there Phil, thanks. One more question if I may please...

If I make the cloned drive bootable, do I need to boot from the CD...? I can then hold Apple key when turning on and it will list all bootable volumes. I can then select the new external volume (the one I cloned to) to boot from, then once OSX has started, and of course having inserted the new unformatted HDD in the internal bay of the Macbook, I can then do a clone from the external HDD to the internal HDD (i.e. the reverse of what I did previously) and voila!!

Will that work...?

Reason I ask this is that I cannot find my Leopard DVD. Am happy to purchase another copy if necessary.

John

emirpprime
23rd February 2008, 11:27 AM
Yes you're exactly right. You do not need to use the CD if booting from a clone. I think its Alt you hold while booting to get the bootable drive menu. Select the external, and it will boot as normal. Then use disk utility to Restore to the internal drive. Importantly making sure the Source is the Clone you are booting from, and the Destination is the new internal drive!
Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions :)
Phil

ps - the reason I say use Disk Utility to do the restore, is with SuperDuper! atleast, you have to have the paid version to do the "restore" function. And while I don't see the difference between that and the Clone function, I tend to go for caution and use Disk Utility.

theMusicMan
23rd February 2008, 11:39 AM
Once again thanks so much for the advice Phil, very much appreciated. I am in the process of cloning to an external HDD and as soon as this is done I will change the internal HDD and do the same thing in reverse.

Oh, and I went out and purchased a new copy of Leopard even though I have a copy here somewhere. I turned my conservatory upside down last night trying to find it, it's just vanished!!! Ho hum...

emirpprime
23rd February 2008, 04:50 PM
No problem John, anytime. I hope it all goes smoothly.

I know what its like with the DVD! And what's worse I tend to find it shortly after buying a new copy! I hope yours atleast has the decency to stay lost for a good length of time.

Phil

theMusicMan
23rd February 2008, 04:55 PM
All sorted... I now have the 250Gb HDD as my internal drive, and all my applications have been cloned across to this new drive and all work perfectly.

Even though I didn't need to use it, I am glad I decided to purchase another Leopard DVD.

Thanks for your kind offers Phil, very kind indeed of you sir.

J

Ellie
23rd February 2008, 11:40 PM
All sorted...
Well done :)

theMusicMan
24th February 2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks Ellie.

After what I was starting to think might turn into a slightly painful experience, all went very well, was very smooth, and worked easily.

emirpprime
24th February 2008, 09:37 AM
Glad it all went smoothly John :)

I love the way Leopard (and Mac OS in general) doesn't moan when you upgrade your hardware as Windows always did ;)

All the best,
Phil