PDA

View Full Version : Another great camera bag :-)

Kiwi Paul
15th June 2010, 08:35 PM
I just bought a Lowepro Topload Zoom AW camera bag.
I just wanted something I could carry the either 14-35 or 35-100 attached to the E3.
Well the bag is all that and more as I found out to my delight. I can fit the E3 with 14-35 with lens hood attached ready to use and it's dead easy to access instantly, but I can also fit either the ZD50mm f2 or the 40-150 and a teleconvertor in the front pouch and a spare battery and lens cleaner in the bottom pouch, again all easily accesible.
I can fit the E3 with the 35-100 with hood reversed and and either the 50mm f2 or the 14-42 and a teleconvertor in the front pouch.

All in all a fantastic little bag where you intend to use a particular lens but want another lens "just incase".

It makes a very compact not too heavy and very accessible carry bag, thoroughly recommended escpecially as it only cost 34 :-)

Paul

Radar
15th June 2010, 09:31 PM
Bought my self this one :
http://products.lowepro.com//CatalogImages/18-2086-IMG3L.jpeg

Got room for everything including a high-visibility vest, a jumper and all the equipment I need. Price? 54 on Jacobs

benvendetta
15th June 2010, 09:38 PM
I have had one of those for a good few years now. Don't use it a lot but it is handy when I just want to take out the E-3/50-200 combo. And the EC-20 can fit in the bottom section with other stuff in the front. Mine came with the shoulder straps to wear it either on your chest or back - have been useful sometimes.
All have had lots of Lowepro bags in the past and I have found them all to be great. Then again most of the top name bags are pretty good. Unfortunately I need a bigger main one now (such as the Vertex 200) but trying to convince the missus that I do may well be nigh on impossible ;)

Kiwi Paul
15th June 2010, 09:40 PM
Looks good but serves a different purpose to the one I described which is just a small compact bag for a camera with a large lens attached.

Paul

Radar
15th June 2010, 09:41 PM
Know what you mean *chr
Got a small bag that will fit my camera and a 14-42. Then I had to upgrade to get room for the 40-150. Then came the flash, and the extras and a 50-200... You know the story *yes

Kiwi Paul
15th June 2010, 09:44 PM
. but trying to convince the missus that I do may well be nigh on impossible ;)

lol being a single (divorced) man I don't have that issue, as long as I give the dogs a biscuit they don't mind what I buy lol.

Paul

Kiwi Paul
15th June 2010, 09:46 PM
Yep I know the feeling, I've got 5 bags now, although they all have their uses, think I'm sorted now, well for the time being anyway lol.

Paul

Radar
15th June 2010, 10:07 PM
I defend my self by saying "Well...at least my hobby generates income (selling photos). "

wanderer
15th June 2010, 10:17 PM
As a matter of interest which model of bag is it in the photo?
It looks just the sort of thing I'm after.
I use a Topload Zoom 65 for the E-3 with 12-60 attached but want to upgrade to bag which will also hold the 50-200, 35 macro EC14 , filters, kitchen sink, etc.

Duncan *chr

StephenL
16th June 2010, 07:08 AM
Same with my wife. (ouch!)

as long as I give the dogs a biscuit they don't mind what I buy lol.

Paul

cinders
16th June 2010, 09:05 AM
I really like the Tamrac Digital Zoom series of top-loaders. I got a small one of these when I first bought my E410, but could now do with a longer one. The trouble is that I've been banned from buying any more bags for a few years! - or lenses... - or bodies.... :(

Kiwi Paul
16th June 2010, 09:11 AM
Dogs are a lot more accommodating than spouses lol ;)

Paul

cinders
16th June 2010, 09:13 AM
..... and cats! :)

Radar
16th June 2010, 10:38 AM
As a matter of interest which model of bag is it in the photo?
It looks just the sort of thing I'm after.
I use a Topload Zoom 65 for the E-3 with 12-60 attached but want to upgrade to bag which will also hold the 50-200, 35 macro EC14 , filters, kitchen sink, etc.

Duncan *chr

It's the Lowepro Fastpack 250 (Room for 15.4" laptop). It also comes in a 350 version for 17" laptop. Got my 50-200, both kit-lenses, FL-36 and OM50mm with macro rings.

wanderer
16th June 2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks
I carry about the same gear plus a Cokin Z filter box.
I don't carry a laptop with my camera but the pocket would be ideal for my Lastolite reflector and my mat for sitting on.
Important stuff, keep the backside dry.:D
I'm sure that most photographers' bags are a bit like women's handbags with rather a lot of minor clutter such as extra cards, batteries, notebook and also in my case binoculars, swiss army knife and emergency chocolate.

Duncan

Radar
16th June 2010, 01:12 PM
I needed the laptop-option as I try to get photos up as fast as possible (News, sports etc) so I carry it around most of the time with a 3G dongle.

BobS
16th June 2010, 01:17 PM
Since we are on the subject of camera bags, does anyone have a Lowepro Slingshot which just goes over one shoulder? It can be swung round to remove the camera and any lenses by means of the the side opening. I'm thinking about getting one.

Kiwi Paul
16th June 2010, 02:23 PM
I've got the Slingshot 100, I could squeeze the E3 with 12-60 and 50-200 SWD into the main compartment and carry the 9-18 and a teleconvertor in the top compartment.

Paul

BobS
16th June 2010, 02:42 PM
I've got the Slingshot 1, I could squeeze the E3 with 12-60 and 50-200 SWD into the main compartment and carry the 9-18 and a teleconvertor in the top compartment.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Do you find it comfortable to wear since the weight is on one shoulder only? I was thinking of getting the 202, a newer version of the 200.

cinders
16th June 2010, 03:19 PM
I've got the Slingshot 200 and I tend to have it pretty full usually. By adjusting the dividers you can even get a second small body with small lens tucked in one section, as well as another separate lens in the other side, but it does get quite heavy sometimes. I think that if you wore it like this for the whole day you would start to regret it!.
The extra strap to secure it when scrambling up rocks etc (as I do), is very useful, and helps a bit generally, but I still always find myself wishing I'd packed less.

Although - it's a great concept and works brilliantly!

Kiwi Paul
16th June 2010, 03:33 PM
Yes it's fine if it's not too heavy, the kit I described that I carried in it is about the limit otherwise it becomes too heavy, I would think the 202 packed with more gear may well become uncomfortable after a while but the concept is brilliant and the gear is easily accessible.

Paul

wanderer
16th June 2010, 03:40 PM
but it does get quite heavy sometimes

A key point.
I do have a Nature Trekker which I used with my OM gear.
I am used to a rucsac but that was ridiculous.
One day on the hill and :eek: sore back and knackered!
Perhaps, if I win the lottery, I could pay someone to carry my equipment and I'll take photographs in the style of a great White Hunter.:D

I also like the idea of only opening part of the bag.
It may never rain in California to misquote the song but it sure does in Scotland and opening the bag to get everything wet is not a good idea.:(

Duncan

Barrie Norman
16th June 2010, 04:57 PM
I have the 75 AW top loader "top bag".

BobS
16th June 2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks Paul and Cindy for your inputs. I reckon one needs one of each type to allow for all occasions.:rolleyes: I'll probably go for the 202.

cinders
16th June 2010, 10:32 PM
I reckon one needs one of each type to allow for all occasions.:rolleyes:

That's just what I keep saying!
*chr

Ross the fiddler
17th June 2010, 08:05 AM
Since we are on the subject of camera bags, does anyone have a Lowepro Slingshot which just goes over one shoulder? It can be swung round to remove the camera and any lenses by means of the the side opening. I'm thinking about getting one.

I've been watching the comments on this thread & I thought it's about time to mention the Filpside 400 AW back pack which is reasonably large in capacity (up to 2 bodies, 3, 4 or 5 lenses, 2 flashes etc., depending on how you pack it & size of items) that I use. It swings around to the front by leaving the waist strap on after slipping out of the shoulder straps & opens on the inner side & by propping a leg up on a step, the bag doesn't need to be put down to access gear or when changing lenses & it has the usual pockets & attachments (can attach tripod & monopod which I sometimes use as a walking pole) with its weatherproof cover. It doesn't have a large pocket for your lunch (sandwiches will fit), spare jacket (can go across the top), but carries most accessories needed. With 2 elastic net pockets on the sides, one can be for your bottle of drink & the other can hold (with top stap) your monopod while the tripod is in its dedicated holder on the back. The bag is very comfortable on the back with the 2 shoulder straps sharing the load across both shoulders unlike my shoulder bag version (it hurts after awhile). There are smaller models too if less is needed. The Lowepro site has a video clip to see how it's used. http://products.lowepro.com/product/Flipside-400-AW,2116,14.htm

Do I sound like a saleman? Sorry, I just like the versatility of this bag.

Ross

StephenL
17th June 2010, 08:13 AM
I did have a Slingshot 200, which did what it said on the tin. The drawback was that, if you loaded it fully, all the weight was on one shoulder which gave me a problem, as I have intermittent trapped nerves in both shoulders, and the strap rested on the exact sore point! I now have a similar bag, the Kata 3in1, which loads the same bit has the option of a) which shoulder you use or b) using both shoulder straps as a rucksack.

benvendetta
17th June 2010, 12:22 PM

The most uncomfortably thing I have tried! Gimme a backpack or waste pack any day!

BobS
17th June 2010, 12:56 PM
The most uncomfortably thing I have tried! Gimme a backpack or waste pack any day!

I am more confused than ever now.:confused:

Ross the fiddler
17th June 2010, 01:18 PM
I am more confused than ever now.:confused:

Don't be confused. If you have a camera store with some of these there, then try them. I do like the function & comfort of the Lowepro Flipside 400 back pack (did you check the video?) & it holds plenty.

Ross

BobS
17th June 2010, 01:41 PM
Don't be confused. If you have a camera store with some of these there, then try them. I do like the function & comfort of the Lowepro Flipside 400 back pack (did you check the video?) & it holds plenty.

Ross

Thanks Ross. I've looked at videos, specs. etc., and most bags seem to be convenient. The only real way to test them is to try them at a dealer so I'll do that. I really wanted one that would do for short journeys and able to be swung round to remove another lens without taking the bag off my back. I've got my wife for the really heavy stuff (heh, heh!)

*chr

StephenL
17th June 2010, 03:03 PM
I really don't think there's such a thing as a perfect bag - I should know, I must have bought them all in my time!

I keep coming back to my two favourites, both Billingham Hadleys of different sizes. They are a satchel-type so can be worn on the shoulder and swung round to change equipment. Well made, they should last forever.

Batman
17th June 2010, 04:07 PM
I have a Slingshot 100 and a Slingshot 200, and I have just bought a Slingshot 302, which is the latest version of the Slingshot 300. I use them all, depending on how much I want to carry. The reason for buying the Slingshot 302 was so that I could carry two cameras with lenses attached.

It can take an E-520 with 70-300 and an E30 with 12-60, plus quite a bit more. Only one of the cameras can be extracted quickly through the top access flap though. This was a compromise that I could accept as I couldn't find anything better.

I think the 302 is perhaps more comfortable to wear than the other two because of the waist strap.

You can tell that I am sold on the convenience of the Slingshot system.

Ross the fiddler
18th June 2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks Ross. I've looked at videos, specs. etc., and most bags seem to be convenient. The only real way to test them is to try them at a dealer so I'll do that. I really wanted one that would do for short journeys and able to be swung round to remove another lens without taking the bag off my back. I've got my wife for the really heavy stuff (heh, heh!)

*chr

That is the best thing to do in the end. Whether it be a sling shot or Flipside it all depends on how much you want to put in it, the more weight, the more you will feel it & that is why I prefer to share the load on 2 shoulders as well the support of the waist strap. The Flipside 300 or 200 might also be more suitable for you. The shoulder bag I use (at events like concerts & dance socials etc) where a smaller bag is necessary, is the Nova 3 AW & is nomally loaded with the E30/14-54 II lens, ZD 70-300, ZD35mm Macro, OM 50mm with adapter, EX25, FL50R & FL36R (both with diffusers attached), the OLY flash stand plates X 2, remote release (cable & IR), cables, 3 X BLM batteries, 12 X AA batteries, LED torch & it get's rather heaver after a while & hurts the shoulder. Obviously some of those items can be taken out at certain events just top keep the pain down,:D but most of those items live in that bag for a quick grab & run kit. If I was buying the shoulder bag now, I would probably go for the Lowepro Reporter or something similar for more room as the Nova 3 AW was purchased when I got my E520. The back pack is for longer day events walking around, as the comfort is a necessity then.

The sling shot bags, I think, have a wider web across the shoulder, but when trying them, just remember how much weight will be in it (at this point in time) & allow for more room as you will add to your kit which will add more weight & will take up more space.

Good luck withh your bag search & I hope you find something suitable, but then again, you will probably be looking for another as your gear changes for the different changing occasions you end up in.*laugh

Your wife must be a good sport to carry stuff for you.

Ross

Ross the fiddler
18th June 2010, 12:38 AM
I have a Slingshot 100 and a Slingshot 200, and I have just bought a Slingshot 302, which is the latest version of the Slingshot 300. I use them all, depending on how much I want to carry. The reason for buying the Slingshot 302 was so that I could carry two cameras with lenses attached.

It can take an E-520 with 70-300 and an E30 with 12-60, plus quite a bit more. Only one of the cameras can be extracted quickly through the top access flap though. This was a compromise that I could accept as I couldn't find anything better.

I think the 302 is perhaps more comfortable to wear than the other two because of the waist strap.

You can tell that I am sold on the convenience of the Slingshot system.

I would do that too (substituting the 14-54 instead of the 12-60), except the 70-300 works better on the E30 with the higher ISO range. There's always a compromise to make somewhere.:(

Ross

Batman
18th June 2010, 07:24 AM
I would do that too (substituting the 14-54 instead of the 12-60), except the 70-300 works better on the E30 with the higher ISO range. There's always a compromise to make somewhere.:(

Ross

Should have added 'or the other way around', depending what I am doing on the day. Last time was an airshow and the 70-300 was on the E-30, in this case to get the extra focus points.

Kiwi Paul
18th June 2010, 07:59 AM
I've got my wife for the really heavy stuff (heh, heh!)
*chr

Where do you get one of these? I've been looking for ages but can't fine one, well not one with the carrying attachment lol

Paul

BobS
18th June 2010, 09:06 AM
Where do you get one of these? I've been looking for ages but can't fine one, well not one with the carrying attachment lol

Paul

I'm afraid they went out of production, Paul, many years ago after they broke the mould.:D

Forgot to mention that she does moan about it sometimes!

BobS
18th June 2010, 09:41 AM
That is the best thing to do in the end. Whether it be a sling shot or Flipside it all depends on how much you want to put in it, the more weight, the more you will feel it & that is why I prefer to share the load on 2 shoulders as well the support of the waist strap. The Flipside 300 or 200 might also be more suitable for you. The shoulder bag I use (at events like concerts & dance socials etc) where a smaller bag is necessary, is the Nova 3 AW & is nomally loaded with the E30/14-54 II lens, ZD 70-300, ZD35mm Macro, OM 50mm with adapter, EX25, FL50R & FL36R (both with diffusers attached), the OLY flash stand plates X 2, remote release (cable & IR), cables, 3 X BLM batteries, 12 X AA batteries, LED torch & it get's rather heaver after a while & hurts the shoulder. Obviously some of those items can be taken out at certain events just top keep the pain down,:D but most of those items live in that bag for a quick grab & run kit. If I was buying the shoulder bag now, I would probably go for the Lowepro Reporter or something similar for more room as the Nova 3 AW was purchased when I got my E520. The back pack is for longer day events walking around, as the comfort is a necessity then.

The sling shot bags, I think, have a wider web across the shoulder, but when trying them, just remember how much weight will be in it (at this point in time) & allow for more room as you will add to your kit which will add more weight & will take up more space.

Good luck withh your bag search & I hope you find something suitable, but then again, you will probably be looking for another as your gear changes for the different changing occasions you end up in.*laugh

Your wife must be a good sport to carry stuff for you.

Ross

My days of walking all day are over, Ross, as are 200 miles a day cycle rides. Anno Domini has caught up and whilst the brain is willing, the body parts are not. I just need to carry camera and two kit lenses plus a legacy tele/macro and flashgun. Anything else will stay in the car and if I need it, Julie will go back for it (I hope!). Thanks for all the advice I'll do a google on all the bags that you and others have mentioned.
G'day and*chr

Ross the fiddler
18th June 2010, 09:58 AM
My days of walking all day are over, Ross, as are 200 miles a day cycle rides. Anno Domini has caught up and whilst the brain is willing, the body parts are not. I just need to carry camera and two kit lenses plus a legacy tele/macro and flashgun. Anything else will stay in the car and if I need it, Julie will go back for it (I hope!). Thanks for all the advice I'll do a google on all the bags that you and others have mentioned.
G'day and*chr

I know the feeling, that's why my monopod doubles as a walking pole. It hurts to get down for a crouch & even more trying to get back up again.:(

Ross

benvendetta
18th June 2010, 12:58 PM
I, as do many photographers tend to take more gear than we actually need when we go out. I think that a good policy to follow is to take just one or two lenses and a body (which should fit into a smallish bag, unless you have SHG glass) and look for the photo opportunities best suited to them. If you don't have the glass with you, you can't use it. And your shoulders will thank you! That is why I really like my Tamrac Velocity 5X wastpack
Easier said than done though ;)

yorky
18th June 2010, 03:16 PM
I must admit, the weight of the gear is getting too much, but, since I bought the EP 1 and the adaptor to 4/3rds I have been using that more and more, perhaps its not quite as good for action/moving subjects but otherwise I have been amazed at the quality.
The slingshot 300 was grea but I have doubts about the quality of the workmanship/stitching etc. I finally went in to the similar shaped Kata 301. It takes a bit of getting used to but it is well worth considering.

jalanb
21st June 2010, 11:52 AM
Don't know if anyone's interested - not everytbody's cup of - tea but Jessops have the Lowepro Classified 160 on a good deal at the moment. Quite useful for those occasions when you might or might not need your gear.

Alan