PDA

View Full Version : Zuiko 35mm macro VS Zuiko 50mm macro.

rgb_123
12th June 2010, 10:03 AM
Hello everybody :)

I'm glad I have finally found an Olympus based forum. I have tried to post a few questions on the larger UK based forums but generally get shunned by all the Nikon & Canon fanboys LOL!!.

Anyway here's where I'm at...

I'm rather new to photography & a complete newbie in the area I'm concentrating on; Jewellery. Yeah, I know - not the easiest place to start but oh well. I am shooting highly polished silver jewellery on a white background for a website.

The kit I have is as follows:

Olympus E-520 (+ED 14-42mm kit lens)
Zuiko 35mm (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_ZUIKO_DIGITAL_35mm_1_3_5_Macro.htm) macro lens
Light tent
Tripod
2 5000k 150w Lights
Camera Remote

After playing with the curves, saturation & a light background erase in Photoshop the results I'm getting are ok, but not 100% yet :confused:. The images look a bit blurred & the whites tend to be slightly blown out.

I'm shooting in Manual mode with the 35mm macro & ISO/100, 1/50s shutter speed, F14, custom white balance (to match lights), auto focus, with remote shutter release.

I have recently been thinking about selling my 35mm & then buying the 50mm (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_ZUIKO_DIGITAL_ED_50mm_1_2_0_Macro.htm) macro which I have heard good things about... your thoughts?

If anyone has any experience or tips regarding camera settings or shoot setup or anything else they want to share with me pleeease do :)

Thanks.

E-3
12th June 2010, 10:43 AM
Changing from the 35mm macro to the 50mm macro wont make matters any better, the 35mm is a very sharp lens so i think this is a focusing issue, or your not using a tripod, which is giving you movement blur :-)

RogerMac
12th June 2010, 11:04 AM
You will probably get noticeably sharper pictures at f8 than the f14 you are using - that's a diffraction effect and will apply to all lenses (Edit: the sharper the lens the more noticeable the diffraction degradation is likely to be)

I assume from the fact that you are using a remote that you are also using a tripod, in that case you should be using the anti-shock feature so that any residual vibrations caused by the mirror movement die away before the shutter moves, I normally set mine to 5 seconds.

Finally make sure that the the IS is turned off - the received wisdom is that if you use this on a tripod it can cause blurr.

Most of my tripod work is done with the 50mm and I am always gobsmacked at the sharpness achieved and I have no direct experience with the 35mm but it has a very good reputation and should achieve equal results.

Roger

geirsan
12th June 2010, 11:14 AM
I completely agree. Try f8 or f9, and increase the shutter speed. I see no reason at all for the 35mm not to be able to get you sharp and satisfactory images. I found it easier to use the 35mm than Sigmas 105mm macro, so the focal length is also an issue.

rgb_123
12th June 2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the helpful tips so far guys :)