PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5

roadkill_6mm
4th June 2010, 06:26 PM
Just a quick question.....

I'm looking at doing a bit of wildlife photography, on a bit of a budget, birds, mammals etc and have been looking at the Zuiko 50-200mm lens as it faster than my current Zukio 40-150mm - which should allow for shooting at faster shutter speeds at maximum zoom.

Thing is the one I've been looking at isnt SWD which, if I'm right, means its not as quick to focus?

Is this a great problem, or in the grand scheme of things does it not make a huge difference - bearing in mind that the SWD will be around twice the price I am looking at?

Will be using it on a E-510 body (for now, will no doubt change at some point in the future!)

Regards

Neil

PaulE
4th June 2010, 06:50 PM

I'm looking at doing a bit of wildlife photography, on a bit of a budget, birds, mammals etc and have been looking at the Zuiko 50-200mm lens as it faster than my current Zukio 40-150mm - which should allow for shooting at faster shutter speeds at maximum zoom.

Thing is the one I've been looking at isnt SWD which, if I'm right, means its not as quick to focus?

Is this a great problem, or in the grand scheme of things does it not make a huge difference - bearing in mind that the SWD will be around twice the price I am looking at?

Will be using it on a E-510 body (for now, will no doubt change at some point in the future!)

Regards

Neil

I've not used the 50-200 SWD but from what I understand it won't focus that much quicker than the non SWD Mk1 on an E510. I have the Mk1 non SWD version and TBH it focuses as fast as I'm ever likely to need - without a doubt it's quicker than the mk2 40-150mm in good light and I would think that the gap would only increase as light decreases. I posted some Motocross pictures in the looking for perfection forum just yesterday that required fast AF and the Mk1 50-200mm more than coped on an E510 - and I made a comment stating so. At twice the price I personally wouldn't give the SWD a second glance but perhaps others have different views...

Nick Temple-Fry
4th June 2010, 06:59 PM
My 50-200 is non SWD, it is certainly adequate for birding, a good lens but with a slightly jagged rendering of the oof areas.

Nick

Barrie Norman
4th June 2010, 07:04 PM
Neil.

The 50-200 is a superb lens, I have SWD version and it is very capable of photographing wildlife and is far better than the 40-150, they are worlds apart. I can,t give a honest answer to the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 as I have only used the SWD but I would expect that they both perform as well optically I would expect the SWD to focus slightly faster. If you look back over the forum there have been some really good wildlife shots taken with the 50-200, I still use mine with my E500 and it performs very well. There are also some examples on my web site, follow the link below and look at some of the Raptor images this will give you an idea of how this lens will perform.

http://bwpn.zenfolio.com/

Barrie Norman
4th June 2010, 07:13 PM
Hers a link on the sister site to show you how good the 50-200 is.

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7143

Ross the fiddler
5th June 2010, 01:31 AM

Regards

Neil

That is a lens I would like too. I would suggest the better option is to get the SWD version now because you will possibly be wanting a better body in the future & the older lens won't perfom as well as an SWD can (even if it is only a marginal amount) on the later body, but then again, it depends on how much money you have. The bokeh is also improved.

Ross