PDA

View Full Version : Marine Fashion

Photocracy
20th February 2008, 11:48 PM
Observations? Criticism? Advice? All welcomed. This is going in a club competition on Friday and will be marked out of 20. What would you give it out of 20? You can be as honest as you like; I won't be offended. :) I'll report back on what the judge awards it on Friday.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/MARINE_FASHION_w_.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2939)

Nick Temple-Fry
21st February 2008, 12:18 AM
Interesting use of I presume a texturing technique - I think you need do something about those bubbles - they are just too regular.

Nick

Hiding_Pup
21st February 2008, 01:22 AM
I really like it. Kitsch but fun and unusual. Don't know what the brief of the competition is so couldn't give it a mark. Assuming an open subject, friendly camera club comp, I'd give it 12 but only because I'm used to university grading systems where 60% is doing pretty well.

Photocracy
21st February 2008, 11:49 AM
Interesting use of I presume a texturing technique - I think you need do something about those bubbles - they are just too regular.

Nick

Thanks for your comments Nick,

Yes I used texturing on a colour gradient and yes you're right about the bubbles. Oh well, too late now as it's been entered. I'll let you know how badly it does on Friday :o

Photocracy
21st February 2008, 12:40 PM
I really like it. Kitsch but fun and unusual. Don't know what the brief of the competition is so couldn't give it a mark. Assuming an open subject, friendly camera club comp, I'd give it 12 but only because I'm used to university grading systems where 60% is doing pretty well.

Thanks for commenting Hiding Pup,

Kitsch? What do you mean? This is art of the highest order! The vision here is about how water messes your hair up ;) (tee hee). It's just my take on a what a few people are playing with in the club. There is no brief for the competition; this will go in a portrait category. I understand your grading and I can't argue with your mark but there might be shuffling feet on the back row of the club for a 12. As you rightly say, it's just a friendly camera club comp. Thanks for taking the trouble to comment. :)

Hiding_Pup
21st February 2008, 12:54 PM
Yes, looking again with your comments in mind, I do detect shades of the new Herbal Essences aesthetic, and what I originally thought of as unthinkingly but amusingly kitsch, I see now is clearly both a thought-provoking echo - and an interrogation of - a tradition that extends back to Andy Warhol's pop art.

I'm upgrading you to 15, bubbles an' all.

:cool:

Photocracy
21st February 2008, 01:10 PM
Yes, looking again with your comments in mind, I do detect shades of the new Herbal Essences aesthetic, and what I originally thought of as unthinkingly but amusingly kitsch, I see now is clearly both a thought-provoking echo - and an interrogation of - a tradition that extends back to Andy Warhol's pop art.

I'm upgrading you to 15, bubbles an' all.

:cool:

Finally, I'm understood as an artist! By the way, any more marks if I tell you the medium is formaldehyde? :D

Hiding_Pup
21st February 2008, 01:13 PM
Not a problem - assuming you're happy to pay the hefty gallery fee I charge...

dbutch
21st February 2008, 01:23 PM
Its good fun

I wonder if you could add a bit of blur to soften the texture (leaving the face as is) and then just up the contrast a bit.

Good Luck

Dave

Photocracy
23rd February 2008, 12:15 AM
Oh well, I promised I'd tell you what the judge awarded this image at the club. He was a generous judge and was handing out lots of 20 out 20s and there was some brilliant work. This image, he was pretty luke warm about it and gave it 17 out of 20. So, it's official. Not one of my best! :rolleyes:

Hiding_Pup
23rd February 2008, 12:20 AM
Real artists - never recognised in their time etc :-)

Barr1e
23rd February 2008, 09:46 AM
I think you were robbed! :p:D

I liked the picture very much.

Regards. Barr1e