PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Image Stabilization seems not working ?

sputnik
26th May 2010, 02:01 PM
Hi
I have Olympus E-600 and it looks like that IS is not working in my camera

I have consulted the manual thoroughly and followed the instruction keeping in mind that it wouldn't work above 2 seconds anyway
My findings are as if I switch on IS as required( IS1,2,3) , I get blurred photos
Which is confusing in a way that I get rather sharp photos if IS switched off ?

This scenario/ findings are same for both my kit lenses 14-42, 50-150 & OM legacy lenses

Do I need to speak to Olympus though I never had red blink for IS failure as manual suggest ?
Appreciate your guidance

Many Thanks

forester
26th May 2010, 02:45 PM
Hi, I do not know how experienced you are, so I will start as a novice so please do not take offence when you half press to take a picture do you wait for it to focus?
If you have the “sound” selected do you wait for the beep? If you cant still get a good image Olympus service next call.
One more thing are you using Oly four thirds lenses? And also have you set the Focal length if using a longer lens?
I hope that has been a help.
Regards
Richard

E-3
26th May 2010, 03:18 PM
Hi
I have Olympus E-600 and it looks like that IS is not working in my camera

I have consulted the manual thoroughly and followed the instruction keeping in mind that it wouldn't work above 2 seconds anyway
My findings are as if I switch on IS as required( IS1,2,3) , I get blurred photos
Which is confusing in a way that I get rather sharp photos if IS switched off ?

This scenario/ findings are same for both my kit lenses 14-42, 50-150 & OM legacy lenses

Do I need to speak to Olympus though I never had red blink for IS failure as manual suggest ?
Appreciate your guidance

Many Thanks

If you load a picture up with the exif in tact, we might be able to see what is going on.

sputnik
26th May 2010, 04:36 PM
Many Thanks James & Richard
1. Yes I have activated beep sound to confirm focus and then I fully press the shutter to take photos
2. Which I understand by camera manual, I only need to register focal length when using Non 4/3 lenses
This function deactivated when a 4/3 lens is attached
3. Unfortunately I didn't keep those blurred pictures due to poor quality but I remember
at 40 mm-f 3.5- 1/15 at ISO 400-INDOOR
Thanks again

E-3
26th May 2010, 04:45 PM
1. Yes I have activated beep sound to confirm focus and then I fully press the shutter to take photos
2. Which I understand by camera manual, I only need to register focal length when using Non 4/3 lenses
3. Unfortunately I didn't keep those blurred pictures due to poor quality but I remember
Thanks again

What subject are you photographing at 1/15th of a sec ?
What happens if you raise the shutter speed to around 1/80th of a sec @ 40mm ?

forester
26th May 2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks again
the answer is the 1/15 far to slow shutter should be at least 1/40, try it in Auto mode and see what it then reads then and if the shot is better.
Regards
Richard

baldyb
26th May 2010, 04:48 PM
Just a thought but if you weren't using a tripod even with IS on I would have thought at 1/15 there is a still a chance of slight camera shake.

Oops _ Looks like I was still typing my answer when someone got there first!!!

snaarman
26th May 2010, 04:51 PM
the answer is the 1/15 far to slow shutter should be at least 1/40, try it in Auto mode and see what it then reads then and if the shot is better.
Regards
Richard

Quite right. In fact (given this is 4/3rds not old style 35mm) the rule of thumb would be 1/80th for a 40mm lens :eek: However fully working IS is able to help you out quite a bit, and lets you bend the rule of thumb.

I did once get a shot from a legacy 135mm at 1/15th - but - it took several attempts and I had to take the shot in between heartbeats, as it were... So don't expect IS to work miracles, you do have to hold the camera incredibly still, and then IS can help somewhat :)

Pete

Rocky
26th May 2010, 05:14 PM
Is it the same with the flash on?
Far too slow for hand held shots.
Increase ISO,

Zuiko
26th May 2010, 06:28 PM
Hi Sputnik,

What subject were you photographing?

sputnik
26th May 2010, 08:10 PM
Thank you all
My subject was first was a doll placed on a table and then my daughter indoor
unfortunately blurred images of both of them
Obviously both subjects were still - that's why I am confused of the efficacy of IS system
I assume IS activation sound/ noise is normal but when I switched it off I got perfect images of both my subjects
Just thinking that IS in my camera is working otherwise as is advised in camera manual ( faulty built in software issue- I am not sure ?)
Yes I always increase shutter speed OR the ISO but then what's the point of IS then ? :)

Rocky
26th May 2010, 08:32 PM
You can hold down the IS button during live view to see the effect of image stabilisation, on the screen. (on the 510 )
Does sound like you might have a fault, as the photos without IS are perfect..

sputnik
26th May 2010, 09:01 PM
..Yes you are right - I will check IS with Live View on
thanks for the tip :)

Radar
12th June 2010, 11:49 AM
I have experienced the same thing on my E-600. did lots of cycling photos yesterday with IS and shutters up to 1/2000sec. Still, the photos turned out to be a little on the soft side. So I went out again today with my 50-200 and tried som cycling photoss today with IS off, and guess what: Pin sharp. Also: The FPS-rate also seemes to be faster. At least it sounds faster.

The Is seemes to be working fine on indoor shots and on shorter lenses (14-42 etc.) but on my 50-200 I have to switch it off.

Daveart
12th June 2010, 03:01 PM
Hi if you shoot at 1/2000th sec with image stabilization on the it may cause softening of the image as this is two fast for IS to work properly over compensation, maybe.

Dave

Radar
12th June 2010, 03:36 PM
Also with panning so camera will move a lot.

ringneck
13th June 2010, 08:54 AM
Good thread as I am learning a lot.......SPUTNIK...any chance of doing 2 shots AGAIN for us to see.

Keith

photo_owl
14th June 2010, 08:37 AM
I have experienced the same thing on my E-600. did lots of cycling photos yesterday with IS and shutters up to 1/2000sec. Still, the photos turned out to be a little on the soft side. So I went out again today with my 50-200 and tried som cycling photoss today with IS off, and guess what: Pin sharp. Also: The FPS-rate also seemes to be faster. At least it sounds faster.

The Is seemes to be working fine on indoor shots and on shorter lenses (14-42 etc.) but on my 50-200 I have to switch it off.

when I see a post such as this it absolutely screams 'panning v IS' - and that can include IS2 with any subject that involves the slightest change in the vertical access when panning.

shutter speed is a red herring - put a 300mm lens with the EC20 and you would want IS (well I would) at 1/1000th; so why do people suddenly say the IS cant keep up at such speeds when discussions like this get going? (amplitude and reaction are a different issue but I've still yet to be able to create a problem in test conditions with IS and any shutter speed and lens combination)

Anyway - back to the OP and I really look forward to seeing a couple of examples in order to understand what's going on.

spn0923
16th August 2010, 04:50 PM
same here. im only just back into slr so a degree of user error confusing (or truely causing) the issue but 14-42 lens no probs, 40-150 on full zoom in hand doesnt snap in very well but when in tripod using remote cable and 2 sec delay it is great. oddly the other day i switched anti shock on and that seemed to improve things all though that should have no effect in my situation. more testing needed. First test was bright sunny day across a harbour, second was inside late at night so no like for like. will post examples if i havent deleted them (and work out how to post).