PDA

View Full Version : Help,E510 not focusing correctly

Ian Grego
25th May 2010, 05:07 PM
Hello and good evening,

I hope one of you fellow snappers can help me out. All of a sudden my 510 does not seem to focus correctly. The lens moves as it should and beeps but it is not in focus. I have tried different lens and check the firmware is upto date all with no change to the problem. also it seems to be happening on any setting A, S M.

Any advice would be greatly recieved or has it just died in service

Thanks in waiting

Ian

Rod Souter
25th May 2010, 06:40 PM
Can you manually focus in live-view and is the photo still in focus when you look at it afterwards?

Have you checked the contact pins on the body, on my 510 one of them used to stick a gentle 'proddle' with a cotton bud used to unstick it until I changed lenses.

Rod

Ian Grego
25th May 2010, 07:51 PM
Rod

Thanks for the reply.

Manual and live view seems ok all the pins seem nice and free. I have also notice with just trying again that it does not seem to matter if I am focusing right in front of me or at the other end of the garden there is very little motor noise before it beeps, re focus elsewhere no motor movement just beep. Sound serious to me

Ian

iMac
25th May 2010, 07:59 PM
Do you have other lenses to try? if so try another lens and see if the same effect happens.

Ian Grego
25th May 2010, 08:03 PM
Imac

Same happens with all my lenses fitted to the body

Ian

iMac
25th May 2010, 08:25 PM
So lets see if we have everything straight here, images that are saved to the memory card are out of focus if you use the S-AF setting, but if you manually focus or use live view the images are ok ? If this is correct something isn't adding up, because as far as I know the auto focus in live view is the same if your not using live view.

Ian Grego
25th May 2010, 09:17 PM
Imac

It is only the total manual focus that is ok. Auto focus is out of focus with or without live view. It just seems as if the focus motor has died, one small movement of the lens irrespective of where I am focusing and beep as if its focused.

Not the best time for this as I am off to Turkey in 10 days on holiday so I think I will be ordering a new body very soon.

Thanks for time to reply

Ian

iMac
25th May 2010, 09:51 PM
Well I would have to say before you give up on it and send it for repair I would give the contacts on the lenses and the camera body a good cleaning, even if you have already done it once, try and again and if things are no better then I don't know what else to try unless there is a full reset that can be done (which I don't know if there is or not) seems odd it would quit all of a sudden with no signs of early failure, like intermittent focusing issues. The camera didn't get wet or dropped or anything like that, that may be a cause to start doing this?

Ken Lister
26th May 2010, 03:22 PM
I agree with iMac, try cleaning the contacts. All of your lenses will not have developed the same fault.

Have you checked your focus selection point (Right,Centre, Left or Auto) it is possible that the camera is focussing other than where you want it to focus?

Ian Grego
26th May 2010, 04:06 PM
Ken,

This is were I am with this problem, since reading you reply which I thank you.
I have been trying all my lenses, kit lenses, 70-300 and 35 macro all the same problem infact it is worse today than yesterday with vitually no movement to focus then the beep. All the contact seem free and clean , but I have obviously not gone around spraying WD40 or similar (I darn`t),I have tried different focus point no better. Also on the S-AFMF setting turning the focus ring seems very noisey in the camera, so I think the fault is in the camera body. So at a bit of a loss now I think it will have to go for repair

Ian

snaarman
26th May 2010, 04:22 PM
As a last resort, is there a global reset you can carry out on the camera. It may have lost some of its marbles.

BTW - I write software and design electronics. therefore I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it :)

Pete

Ken Lister
26th May 2010, 04:35 PM
The only test I can think of is to put the camera on a tripod then focus on a subject manually - the viewfinder focus confirmation light will show. Switch to SAF and half press the shutter release to refocus - there should be no lens focus movement. Images using both methods should be identically sharp
If the lens does re-focus and the image is then out of focus, it would seem likely that the body is not talking to the lenses properly and does therefore, have a fault.

Ian Grego
26th May 2010, 05:35 PM
Just been sat outside with camera and tripod playing like Ken suggested and all of a sudden everything working ok again. All I was doing was focusing around the garden and then everything sounded right. so whatever bit was not talking to its mate has kissed and made up. Forever I hope.

Thanks to all with the advice they have given.

One last point does anybody actually clean the pins with anything and if so what do you use, might be worth knowing for the future.

Thanks again

Ian

Ken Lister
26th May 2010, 05:39 PM
I use a dry lint free cloth. If that doesn't work, a cotton bud moistened with isopropyl alcohol and then the cloth. Only clean the contacts if you have a problem.

Ken

Ian Grego
26th May 2010, 06:39 PM
Ken

Thanks for the information it is very much appreciated

Ian

effie
29th June 2011, 02:33 PM
Ian & Ken, (and others) thank you so much!! I'm in Canada and started running into the same problem. I've only had my camera for just under a year, so it was baffling. Every store I called suggested that a) I bring it in for service minimum charge being $300 or b0 look into buying a new camera (which I'm not ready for yet).

I did the manual focus with the tripod and all of a sudden everything is fixed!!! So again THANK YOU!!! This was the only site I came across that gave a solution to this problem.

Phill D
29th June 2011, 06:50 PM
Great to have a solution but does anyone know what the problem was and if it's likely to return?

CallaWolf
30th June 2011, 07:47 AM
I was wondering that too. I've just purchased a second hand lens and the AF mechanism was faulty - i.e. barely shifting the focus. If we say, for argument's sake, that a perfect AF system would score 100%, mine was scoring 3%. (I suspect the lens hasn't been used for a while). After about an hour of manual focussing (back and forth, near and far) I'd managed to get SOME life out of the AF system (now at 20%). Then I remembered this thread and slapped it into live view. A few shots later and I'm up to 55, maybe 60%. Then I had to go to sleep (1am by this time). Tested this morning and it's still around the 60% mark. It AF's to the general area and I have to manually focus it to get it exactly right. So, whilst I'm still a LONG way from that magical 100%, I'm hoping that continual use over the weekend will get it closer.

But, as Phill D asked - why does live view make such a difference to a dodgy AF system?

(It's worth noting that unlike the original poster, my problem's with one lens, not all of them)

ringneck
30th June 2011, 09:46 AM
So lets see if we have everything straight here, images that are saved to the memory card are out of focus if you use the S-AF setting, but if you manually focus or use live view the images are ok ? If this is correct something isn't adding up, because as far as I know the auto focus in live view is the same if your not using live view.

I am sure I could NEVER auto focus in live view on my 510 (even from day one)......No chance now ...it went swimming and is totally dead now.

Keith *chr

Glad you have sorted your problem.