PDA

View Full Version : Event: Real time session 'Lightroom v2.5 - a Basic Overview' 28th May, 7:00pm GMT

theMusicMan
24th May 2010, 09:20 AM
Hi All

Is anyone interested in attending my first commercial real-time overview session, "Lightroom (v2.5) - a Basic Overview".

It's more than a basic overview really, and I will cover all of Lightrooms main features: from the library system through to development presets and exporting, all crammed into a informative hours presentation.

If you're familiar with Lightroom then you will already appreciate what a powerful application this is; if you don't use it, well this is a fabulous opportunity to get a real time, live, overview of the main functions of this awesome photographers application.

The session will be online and will run for 1 hour, on Friday 28th from 19:00 to 20:00, during which time I will demonstrate the main functions and areas of Lightroom.

For the first session I am trying to keep the costs down to next to nothing, and have also offered eGroup members a further 50% off this low introductory price.

Subject: Lightroom v2.5: A Basic Overview
Start time: 19:00 GMT, Friday 28th May, 2010
Duration: 1 Hour
Cost: 10 (5 to eGroup attendees - via a discount code entered at registration)
Discount Code: egrp10
Max attendees: 15
How to register: click here (http://mrjohn.co.uk/lr/?page_id=6), select the event Lightroom (v2.5) A Basic Overview, and fill in the registration details. You'll then be sent an email with details on how to attend.

http://img.skitch.com/20100520-qdkj789c6de8qdqcqqsd9b5c1x.jpg

Hope you can join me on Friday at 7:00pm.

You will have a telephone number to call, or can join in on your PC/Mac via VOIP - and you'll need to be in a browser window to access the online session and see what I am presenting. The session is really interactive... you can chat to everyone who is there and also actively take part in the presentation.

Look forward to seeing you on Friday.

E-3
24th May 2010, 12:12 PM
I am all signed up & looking forward to it (paid for using the wifes paypal account ;))*chr

theMusicMan
24th May 2010, 12:31 PM
Excellent, many thanks for your support James. I am sure you will find it worthwhile.

Incidentally - do you use Lightroom now...?

There is a way to add custom questions to the online registration form that I may very well use - depending on the success or failure of this next session - to determine such things. It would be useful to know the level of experience of each of the users. I may have a look at this... not sure I can do it in time for this session though.

EDIT: scrub that last point, I have now added a drop down selection on level of expertise in Lightroom. Sorry you missed that one James...!!

E-3
24th May 2010, 02:08 PM
Excellent, many thanks for your support James. I am sure you will find it worthwhile.

Incidentally - do you use Lightroom now...?

There is a way to add custom questions to the online registration form that I may very well use - depending on the success or failure of this next session - to determine such things. It would be useful to know the level of experience of each of the users. I may have a look at this... not sure I can do it in time for this session though.

EDIT: scrub that last point, I have now added a drop down selection on level of expertise in Lightroom. Sorry you missed that one James...!!

Easy answer, I am a complete novice to lightroom as I dont even own it yet. I was intending to buy it next week, once your sessions were under way (as I will then know how to use it) :)

E-3
24th May 2010, 02:15 PM
BTW John, I have not recieved an automated email this time with a link to the meeting & the password, all I got was an email saying thank you for signing up but with no links! Is this right?

monoboard
24th May 2010, 03:05 PM
Hi

Is there much differance between 2.5 and version 3.

I have elements7 & 8 + I have down loaded the trial on lightroom on version 3 i think (laptop at home ) .

reg

David

stevednp3
24th May 2010, 07:50 PM
Hi John

Im all signed up and looking forward to the training *chr

I hoping this will convert me over from PS, cause I know deep down lightroom will save me loads of time in batch editing, just wish I could get my head around it, it seams to me the older you get the harder it is to teach yourself new things, but when your shown how to do it, then it all makes sense :D

Speak Friday ;)

PS. I have lightroom 2.4 at the moment, I'll do an update before Friday (I have auto update turned off)

stevednp3
24th May 2010, 08:02 PM
Sorry :o

Just one thing I wanted to point out that Im really hoping to get out of the training (apart from how to actually use the program:o) is the workflow.

I currently store all my personal photos in folders based on the month, can you explain in your workflow, how you actually store your photos and then let lightroom arrange them for you.

This is the major thing I couldnt get my head around, the way the files are stored and how lightroom works in a non destructive way, it it never saves over the orginal file, what happens if you have to format your computer or transfer to a new PC, is there a way to backup and transfer, because I would assume this would need to be done on a regular basis, I can just vision putting all my trust in lightroom could result in years of editing lost in a second, if the changes was lost due to a crash :eek:

Thats always been my paranoia of the program, Anyway im sure you have planned all this and I'll be quiet now, lol :o

*chr

theMusicMan
24th May 2010, 08:16 PM
Sorry :o

Just one thing I wanted to point out that Im really hoping to get out of the training (apart from how to actually use the program:o) is the workflow.

I currently store all my personal photos in folders based on the month, can you explain in your workflow, how you actually store your photos and then let lightroom arrange them for you.

This is the major thing I couldnt get my head around, the way the files are stored and how lightroom works in a non destructive way, it it never saves over the orginal file, what happens if you have to format your computer or transfer to a new PC, is there a way to backup and transfer, because I would assume this would need to be done on a regular basis, I can just vision putting all my trust in lightroom could result in years of editing lost in a second, if the changes was lost due to a crash :eek:

Thats always been my paranoia of the program, Anyway im sure you have planned all this and I'll be quiet now, lol :o

*chrHi Steve - yep, I have a few slides on 'Workflow' in Lightroom, and will be talking about this in some detail. I can honestly say that for workflow improvements and efficiencies, Lightroom is excellent. It will save you no end of time, it really will.

Thanks for signing up.

theMusicMan
24th May 2010, 08:20 PM
BTW John, I have not recieved an automated email this time with a link to the meeting & the password, all I got was an email saying thank you for signing up but with no links! Is this right?

My fault entirely... this is fixed now and as soon as I finish this message, I'll drop you a PM. Subsequent registrations will receive this info... very sorry James.

Hi

Is there much differance between 2.5 and version 3.

I have elements7 & 8 + I have down loaded the trial on lightroom on version 3 i think (laptop at home ) .

reg

David
Hi David: LR3 is still in Beta but there are already some noticeable improvements with this version over 2.5 - notably in noise reduction settings. I am sure if you purchase LR2.7 that when v3.0 is released as a full version, you will be able to upgrade for minimal (if any) cost.

The demo will stand you in very good stead for any version though David, as the interface is the same, as is the 'concept'... and it is this that is important.

Hope you're able to join us, have a chat with E-3, Steve or anyone who attended the first session (not on LR) last week... hopefully they will say it was good :) hehe.

E-3
24th May 2010, 08:51 PM
My fault entirely... this is fixed now and as soon as I finish this message, I'll drop you a PM. Subsequent registrations will receive this info... very sorry James.
Yes, I now have the email thanks. :)
Hope you're able to join us, have a chat with E-3, Steve or anyone who attended the first session (not on LR) last week... hopefully they will say it was good :) hehe.
Put it this way, if it was not any good I would not be signing up to this one ;)

stevednp3
24th May 2010, 08:58 PM
Yep I echo James and really looking forward to this one *chr

E-3
25th May 2010, 03:18 PM
I have just downloaded V2.7 trial version :)

monoboard
25th May 2010, 05:26 PM
Hi John

I have approx 36000 ski pics mainly on Elements 7 but a few may be duplicated on Elements 8. Can i scan my computor and external drives with lightroom and inport the pics along with various stacks and tags but also with out duplicating the pictures and clogging my computor up.

many thanks

David

theMusicMan
25th May 2010, 05:37 PM
Hi John

I have approx 36000 ski pics mainly on Elements 7 but a few may be duplicated on Elements 8. Can i scan my computor and external drives with lightroom and inport the pics along with various stacks and tags but also with out duplicating the pictures and clogging my computor up.

many thanks

DavidHi David

Yep, you can do that with Lightroom. What will be added are a catalogue file of your pics, and the related XML data associated with each pic. Your images will not be duplicated.

I would imagine that as you have tagged images using Elements (I guess) that these tags will probably be picked up with Lightroom. If not however, you'll find that Lightroom will make an easy job of the workflow of tagging them for you. Once your images are in Lightroom, you can move them within Lightroom, to/from wherever you wish. You can also make Smart Collections based on any item of metadata or filter.

I am sure you would benefit from attending on Friday, are you planning to...? Hope so.*chr

John

monoboard
25th May 2010, 06:15 PM
See you friday, I presume i just put in the web link you emailed me and dial the phone no on skype!

reg

David

theMusicMan
25th May 2010, 06:52 PM
See you friday, I presume i just put in the web link you emailed me and dial the phone no on skype!

reg

David
Yep, or use Vioce Over IP.

theMusicMan
27th May 2010, 06:39 AM
Looks like this is going to be a rather quiet one...? Any more takers...? Should hopefully be an interesting session explaining what Lightroom is all about and what you can do with it.

steverh
27th May 2010, 01:17 PM
Hi John,

I'd like to join in. I'm sure I will pick up some useful stuff.

theMusicMan
27th May 2010, 02:39 PM
OK Steve, will be great to have you on the call, have you registered yet...?

steverh
27th May 2010, 05:29 PM
Yes I have registered, awaiting my email.

theMusicMan
27th May 2010, 05:30 PM
Should be there with you almost straight away, Steve.

theMusicMan
28th May 2010, 06:08 AM
Yes I have registered, awaiting my email.Oh and Steve, many thanks indeed for the Tweet... that really is appreciated, thank you.

Do we have any more takers...? Pretty please... :)

sapper
28th May 2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for tonights session John, really helpful.

monoboard
28th May 2010, 09:00 PM
Hi John

Excellent tonight, Sorry my com's broke down a couple of times and at the end when someone rang our home no. Let me know if you are doing any more.

reg

David

stevednp3
28th May 2010, 09:41 PM
Well John another great Tutorial, your really good at this and I hope you continue to do more, im esp looking forward to your HDR presentation ;)

You answered all the questions I had in my head regarding lightroom and I feel a lot more comfortable in using the program, I bought it a year ago, couldnt get my head around it and was just a waste, but im goner spend some quality time this weekend getting used to it

Thanks again *chr

theMusicMan
29th May 2010, 06:51 AM
Many thanks Steve, glad you are going to have a closer look at Lightroom now, if you need anything just shout. Let me know how you get on yeah...?

CaptainD
29th May 2010, 07:04 AM
Dear John,

Thanks very much for your stellar effort last night which is much appreciated. I am also pleased to have resolved my mic problem during the presentation. I dont't know if it will help others but I had to change the mic source setting in the GoToMeeting control panel and change it from the "windows default device" to the "envy audio" option which is the integrated sound chip on my PC motherboard.

Thanks for giving me a really good insight into what Lightroom is all about, another good session.

Cheers

Chris *chr

theMusicMan
29th May 2010, 07:16 AM
Dear John,

Thanks very much for your stellar effort last night which is much appreciated. I am also pleased to have resolved my mic problem during the presentation. I dont't know if it will help others but I had to change the mic source setting in the GoToMeeting control panel and change it from the "windows default device" to the "envy audio" option which is the integrated sound chip on my PC motherboard.

Thanks for giving me a really good insight into what Lightroom is all about, another good session.

Cheers

Chris *chrYou're very welcome Chris, thanks for attending the session, and I am delighted you found it useful.

I must work on my timings though, eh!!! :) 100% off target is just a little off hehehe. Still, twice the value I guess *chr

steverh
29th May 2010, 08:10 AM
Hi John

Well done - a great presentation. *chr It was certainly value for money, if not in the way you intended!

I have a copy of Lightroom and have been playing around with it for a year or so(!) I am now going to start importing stuff and use it properly. Lightroom is radically different from Photoshop and its clones, but everyone I know who has taken the trouble to learn to use it properly has found it worth the effort.

E-3
29th May 2010, 12:27 PM
Hi John, A very BIG apology from me *yes having to leave before you had finished last night, but I had to be somewhere at 8.30pm so could not leave any later than 8.05pm :(. May I add that it was also very hard to leave as I was enjoying it so much & like last time was very impressed by yourself. From what I gather the others were also enjoying it so much that it did not end until about 9pm? :eek: I look forward to the next one, do you know when that will be yet? :)

E-3
1st July 2010, 12:26 PM
John, what has happened to these real time sessions? are there going to be any more? I thought they were a great success! :)

stevednp3
1st July 2010, 12:45 PM
John, what has happened to these real time sessions? are there going to be any more? I thought they were a great success! :)

I 2nd that *yes *chr

sapper
2nd July 2010, 09:48 AM
Thirded. :-)

theMusicMan
2nd July 2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the support folks, rest assured they haven't finished and I most certainly will be running more. Just been a tad busy with other things that's all - and contending with a broken finger, and a daughters birthday etc!!

I plan to run the LR session again, as well as HDR integration with LR, and a general one on HDR with Photomatix.

I am also compiling a list of short 20 min sessions for hints and tips on general aspects of photoshop etc.

Thanks for asking though... it is very encouraging.

E-3
2nd July 2010, 01:11 PM
I am also compiling a list of short 20 min sessions for hints and tips on general aspects of photoshop etc.

I like the sound of these, I look forward to them :)

steverh
2nd July 2010, 01:18 PM
Good news, thanks John.

sapper
6th July 2010, 06:35 AM
Will you be doing the next session on LR 3 John? I have got it but not installed yet.

theMusicMan
6th July 2010, 06:42 AM
Will you be doing the next session on LR 3 John? I have got it but not installed yet.
Hi Dave

I guess so, as it is just the overview - I am familiar enough with this new release in the main to provide an overview on the main items. Given that I am unsure how many people will have upgraded or installed this latest version, it might be though that I use LR2 for the overview, and then switch to LR3 for any items that have been introduced, improved or amended in that version.

sapper
6th July 2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Dave

I guess so, as it is just the overview - I am familiar enough with this new release in the main to provide an overview on the main items. Given that I am unsure how many people will have upgraded or installed this latest version, it might be though that I use LR2 for the overview, and then switch to LR3 for any items that have been introduced, improved or amended in that version.

Looking forward to it.