PDA

View Full Version : New E-X DSLR - 3 must have / keep features

CaptainD
23rd May 2010, 03:25 PM
It is funny how the mind drifts when not taking photos.This morning when I was in my hide waiting and waiting for birds not to visit. I started to think about what 3 features I would love to see added and kept on the upcoming E-X DSLR body. To get the discussion started here are mine in no particular order as they say.

Would like:

1) Better high ISO / noise performance
2) More compact/lighter body
3) More selectable AF points

Would like to keep

1) Tilt screen
2) Illuminated top LCD screen
3) BLM-1 batteries

I had plenty of time to think in the 2.5 hours I spent sitting and waiting. I even resorted to taking photos of squirrels, my only feathered visitors were 3 fleeting visits from a jackdaw, starling and a great spotted woodpecker. I have never know it so quiet despite it appearing to be baby feeding season, better luck next time I hope!

It will be interesting to see what you all would like to have / keep as the launch date gets closer (allegedly!).

Cheers

Chris *chr

BobS
23rd May 2010, 04:06 PM
I would like a built-in spirit or electronic level which would beep if the horizon isn't horizontal. Would save me a lot of time in PS or FastStone. *yes

geirsan
23rd May 2010, 04:35 PM
1. Better noise handling
2. Better dynamic range
3. Larger screen
4. Extra selection wheel instead of top info screen

Keepers
1. Tilt screen
2. Rugged body
3. Size

CaptainD
23rd May 2010, 04:43 PM
Bob,

Thanks for reminding me of my number 1 wish! I would trade a more compact body any day for a built in level like the E-30 has. Tilting horizons are my number 1 crime against good composition.

Thanks for reminding me

Chris

BobS
23rd May 2010, 05:08 PM
Bob,

Thanks for reminding me of my number 1 wish! I would trade a more compact body any day for a built in level like the E-30 has. Tilting horizons are my number 1 crime against good composition.

Thanks for reminding me

Chris

A pleasure to be of service!*chr

photo_owl
23rd May 2010, 05:30 PM
3 on your first list is the only element (they aren't really features - more improvements/enhancements) I don't see any need for at all.

in all the time I have been using the 3 and 30 I have never wished for another focus point - not even in the studio. I would like to see the active focus point in C-AF.......but that's another matter.

the 30 'features' are a natural assumption, as is progress from the 3 through 30 performance factors, but overall if you got all your wishes I can't see me buying it (or anyone else that has a 30) ie a weatherproof E30 with more focus points wouldn't do it for me.

JohnGG
23rd May 2010, 10:05 PM
I'd like to see:-

1) Better high-ISO / noise performance and higher available ISO settings. I doubt that I'd use the higher values but the camera might then be more comfortable at the values I do use.

2) Larger tilting screen, 3" perhaps, with much higher resolution to make reviewing shots for sharp focus easier.

3) Perhaps a few more pixels, at least to the 12MP of the E-30 with improved performance but perhaps aiming for 14-15MP.

I'd like to keep (or revert to):-

1) The bright viewfinder.

2) The build quality and super-quiet shutter of the E-1.

3) The power reserves of the BLL-1 battery in the E-1's HLD-2 grip.

The built-in spirit level of the E-30 sounds interesting but I'd like to try it out before deciding whether it should be on my wish list.

Cheers,

JohnGG

Ross the fiddler
24th May 2010, 12:15 AM
The built-in spirit level of the E-30 sounds interesting but I'd like to try it out before deciding whether it should be on my wish list.

Once you've used the level on the E30 for landscapes (which also works in portrait position too) you wouldn't want to lose it. If it beeped for 'on level', it would have to be distinctly different from the focus beep.

Ross