PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here actually like Photographs?

Nick Temple-Fry
19th February 2008, 12:09 PM
Then why have so many images in the galleries no views and no rating. Does anyone actually look?

I'm not just wingeing about my images (honestly), and I'm probably as much to blame as anyone else.

How about each of us taking ten minutes each day, just to have a random wander through this garden of images.

Nick

Jim
19th February 2008, 12:13 PM
Nick,

A very valid point. I think Barrie has said before that he tries to do this, and it is a very good idea.

I find some of the images quite inspirational, and get some really good ideas for my own shots from what I see, angles and styles I had not thought of trying etc.

Looking at others images is a good way of learning and understanding more and more about photography, especially with the images that carry the exif information, as this helps with settings.

PeterD
19th February 2008, 01:44 PM
Nick,

A very valid point. I think Barrie has said before that he tries to do this, and it is a very good idea.

I find some of the images quite inspirational, and get some really good ideas for my own shots from what I see, angles and styles I had not thought of trying etc.

Looking at others images is a good way of learning and understanding more and more about photography, especially with the images that carry the exif information, as this helps with settings.

Nick/Jim

What a great idea. Yes, Barrie says he spends time each day browsing a number of issues. I browse but rarely comment:(. Thinking about it, the feedback to the author would also be great as they would get some idea of how others view their images.
Thanks for the timely reminder, I must be less selfish by viewing AND giving feedback.

Cheers to you both

PeterD

Xpres
19th February 2008, 02:12 PM
Oh yes - guilty too.
I think one should be careful about what one says though. I know they're in the gallery for public consumption but if a lot critiscism was wanted they'd have posted them in the forum.
Still marks out ten can't hurt for the ones we like.

emirpprime
19th February 2008, 02:39 PM
Im guilty of not doing enough, and also rating more than commenting. What I really think would help is the replacement of the big top images section on the front age of the gallery with the random images section. It would give more exposure to the undiscovered images help challenge the top rated ones!
Lets all go do our bit ;)
Phil

DTD
19th February 2008, 04:34 PM
I love photographs – but to be honest rarely look at galleries on any forum.
I prefer to looks at photographs in books, magazines and exhibitions.
I'd much sooner see a body of work than random images.
But if I see something I like I will look at photographers web sites.

A good example would be Albert Watson – he's the man – his web site is a brilliant example of how to make it annoying and difficult to look at work.

Photocracy
19th February 2008, 04:38 PM
I do comment on pictures, although probably more on FTU than here. I think constructive comments are always welcomed and I know I appreciate them very much myself. I don't mind criticism at all; after all, I want to improve my photography and there are some fantastic photographers here to learn from. So, if you see one of mine, feel free to say what you really think. If you don't like it or think it is flawed, please please say so. :)

Barr1e
19th February 2008, 05:48 PM
The reason I try and comment each day is to study and learn from not only the picture but looking at the comments of those who know the art of photography. :)

Regards. Barr1e

andym
19th February 2008, 07:37 PM
I think most of us here a guilty of this.I must admit I comment on pictures when they are on posts but not on the gallery.Why not when you like a picture on a post make a comment but also go straight to the persons gallery and give it a rating.
I will try to do this in future.

Garrie
19th February 2008, 07:55 PM
I hold my hands up, I'm so guilty of this, sorry guys. Its just so easy to forget the Gallery is there :o

I will make an effort to rate pics in the gallery.

Cheers
Garrie

Ellie
22nd February 2008, 05:28 PM
:o I'm truly guilty. Not of disliking photographs though, guilty of not visiting the gallery unless I've been pointed there via a link or a thumbnail.

I honestly hadn't realised there were so many pictures to look at, and also the option to leave a comment. I'd prefer to comment within a topic on the forum though, where I might be able to explain myself a bit better.

I will try to make time to look at the galleries as often as I can.

Thanks for the information :)

angelpaaul
22nd February 2008, 06:28 PM
I'm another guilty as charged of not visiting the gallery. I've no excuse, just lazy.

I should really try as I can learn a lot from other people pictures and comments.

Paul