PDA

View Full Version : Filter Question

stevednp3
14th May 2010, 05:10 PM
Hi Everyone

I was hoping someone could answer my following question, I recently bought a 12-60mm and the kind gentleman supplied a UV filter with it.

I've never used a UV filter before and was wondering if its ok to double up on the UV filter with other filters ie polariser and ND screw in filters or is it normally best to remove the UV first ?

Cheers

Steve

Ian
14th May 2010, 05:32 PM
UV filters were popular for film cameras reduce excessive blue in bright and sunny conditions (the filter is slightly yellow) but mainly to protect the front element of the lens. Personally, I don't use protective filters. An extra layer of glass potentially sacrifices image quality. If you look after your lenses you shouldn't have problems without protective filters.

I certainly wouldn't recommend sandwiching filters if at all possible.

Ian

j.baker
14th May 2010, 05:32 PM
I would always suggest that your remove the existing filters first.

stevednp3
14th May 2010, 05:50 PM
*chr Guys, that answers that for me then, I cant be lazy :D

theMusicMan
14th May 2010, 06:37 PM
Hi Steve

I am 100% with Ian here, and tend not to use UV filters on lenses. Why place a sheet of glass unnecessarily in front of an expensive series of elements??

Just take care with your lenses and they will be fine.

JerryE-1
14th May 2010, 06:55 PM
I'm firmly in the no protective filter camp, but I like to keep lens hoods permanently attached to my lenses for the impact protection they offer. I'd only ever use a filter to protect from flying grit and stones if I needed to shoot rally cars at close range.

Jerry.

stevednp3
14th May 2010, 06:58 PM
Cheers John, I hear mixed reviews on this, but do see your point, unless its a very expensive filter, its not going to match the quality of the glass in the lens *chr

I will do some tests and pixel peep :o

David M
14th May 2010, 09:40 PM
I'm firmly in the no protective filter camp, but I like to keep lens hoods permanently attached to my lenses for the impact protection they offer. I'd only ever use a filter to protect from flying grit and stones if I needed to shoot rally cars at close range.

Jerry.

Doesn't work if the lens doesn't take filters.

My legacy OM Zuiko 350mm has a 5mm diameter scuff on the front element, either from a flying stone or tree branch as I jumped behind a tree when a future World Rally Champion put his car off the stage (on the inside of the bend).

andym
14th May 2010, 09:51 PM
I still can't make up my mind about this.I use Hoya Pro 1 UV filter on most of my lens and I have tried photos with and without but cannot tell the difference.

I walk through a lot of overgrown places and prefer to haf some protection.

7-14 excepted.

wanderer
14th May 2010, 10:37 PM
There was a thread on this recently and I don't think anyone changed their views, merely expressed them.
I do use one and also use Cokin Z filters. I find that at the 12mm end I can get vignetting on the sky corners.

Duncan

Nick Temple-Fry
15th May 2010, 12:01 AM
I think the use of uv filters is almost a non-subject.

I use one on my Sigma 150 because I push it through bushes without the lens hood. I use one on the 90-250 because Olympus supply it as part of the package. I don't use one on any other lens.

Over the years I've had tripods topple over, fallen on slippery surfaces etc. The lens hood has always protected the lens. My 11-22 may well have a hood that had to rebuilt with superglue but the glass is perfect.

If you feel happier protecting the lens with a UV filter, then do it. The increase in confidence will easily negate any marginal (pixel peep and subject to argument) effect on the image. If you, like me, don't feel the need, well the air that we breathe isn't go to pit the lens into a resemblance of Jeremy Clarksons skin, so lets just be happy in our confidence.

To each, their own, worries.

Nick

Kiwi Paul
15th May 2010, 12:17 AM
Yeah the 90-250 has a protection filter fitted as standard, no doubt ultra high quality but I do wonder why they fit one on this lens but not on any other lens (maybe the 300mm??).
I don't use protection filters on any of my lenses (90-250 excepted as it comes supplied buy Oly).

Paul