PDA

View Full Version : I need help, Psychiatric *yes

forester
14th May 2010, 08:16 AM
I need help, Psychiatric may be.*yes
My hobby in photography is –Macro- wildlife birds in particular and I require longer lenses for the bird shots.
I have hired the 90-250mm from Ian a very nice lens but I have a problem, being disabled (spinal injury) and not being able to get around that well the lens 90-250 weighing in at 3.25KG is not the easiest to use, I now have the 150mmf2 with the 2x tc also a very nice lens, no real advantage on my 50-200mm SWD with it’s permanent 1.4 tc companion.
I did buy a “Bigma” used from a shop but it went back, it was full of dust and required a Sigma service, nearly £200, and as they have had my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 mk11 since the end of February:eek:, I don’t fancy loosing a lens for that amount of time.( It may be coming back next week):)
My 50-200 with the TC is fine for larger birds, but the small stuff to get in fine detail is not easy.
So any ideas would be welcome, and “Give up” is not one of them.*help

Zuiko
14th May 2010, 08:38 AM
I need help, Psychiatric may be.*yes
My hobby in photography is –Macro- wildlife birds in particular and I require longer lenses for the bird shots.
I have hired the 90-250mm from Ian a very nice lens but I have a problem, being disabled (spinal injury) and not being able to get around that well the lens 90-250 weighing in at 3.25KG is not the easiest to use, I now have the 150mmf2 with the 2x tc also a very nice lens, no real advantage on my 50-200mm SWD with it’s permanent 1.4 tc companion.
I did buy a “Bigma” used from a shop but it went back, it was full of dust and required a Sigma service, nearly £200, and as they have had my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 mk11 since the end of February:eek:, I don’t fancy loosing a lens for that amount of time.( It may be coming back next week):)
My 50-200 with the TC is fine for larger birds, but the small stuff to get in fine detail is not easy.
So any ideas would be welcome, and “Give up” is not one of them.*help

I can appreciate the problem and it does highlight a bit of a gap in the lens range. There is, of course, a 300mm f2.8 but for most people it is too big and heavy and too expensive. The alternative is a 70-300mm which has a slow aperture at the long end and is slow to focus. I suspect what you really need is the lens Olympus is yet to produce, a 300mm f4.

The only advice I can think to give is to persevere with a Bigma. Although recently discontinued in 4/3 fit you may find a new one lurking somewhere on the Internet, or a used example in better condition than the one you tried.

The other possibility is to go down the manual focus legacy lens route with, say, a 400mm f5.6 and adapter, but it depends how good your eyesight is (I would have problems) and whether you could tolerate not having autofocus.

Nick Temple-Fry
14th May 2010, 08:50 AM
Well - I'd lookout for a used Sigma 135-400, by no means a bad lens and not that much larger than the 50-200.

It does like bright'ish conditions and reasonably good contrast.

Nick

forester
14th May 2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the info Guys, I will just have to wait and find a good second user lens, I have tried manual focus lenses in the past when I was younger, you did not have AF then :eek: and film had to be developed .
Personally I do not want to go back to those times, and anyway I’m not quick enough now.:W)
*chr
Richard