PDA

View Full Version : have you ever been tempted

Crippledsandwich
11th May 2010, 11:03 PM
Just for general discussion but have you ever been tempted to leave Olympus to go to Nikon or Canon. If not what keeps you with Olympus and have you gone to the so called big two and came back to olly.

Zuiko
12th May 2010, 01:22 AM
Frequently, and if I had a bank balance like Abramovich and muscles like Schwarzenegger I might be tempted by full-frame from one of those companies, although they are not without drawbacks quite apart from size, weight and price.

I also keep tabs on what's happening with APS-C sensor cameras but although many of the latest have clear advantages in certain respects I still feel my E-3 based system has more important advantages in other areas.

Purely in terms of IQ for ridiculously huge enlargements and high ISO performance Olympus clearly lags behind - in much the same way as my Volkswagen Passat Estate lags behind a Ferrari.

If your sole aim is to get from Essex to Scotland as quickly as possible then no contest, it has to be the Ferrari. But try getting four people and all the luggage for a fortnight's camping holiday into a Ferrari and then you'll start to appreciate certain features of the Passat! :D

Crippledsandwich
12th May 2010, 01:31 AM
thanks for your reply mate,

I often feel tempted but im put off by the high prices as well. I lust after all the kit and listings in Amateur Photography magazine like the one for warehouse express lol

but then I look at my humble Olly and think im a trend setter why would I want to follow the sheep. I have taken some really nice shots with my 520 and only on occasions have I noticed large amounts of noise, which the Canon and Nikon users of this world would have you believe to be as bad as pinhole photography. :rolleyes:

Zuiko
12th May 2010, 01:48 AM
thanks for your reply mate,

I often feel tempted but im put off by the high prices as well. I lust after all the kit and listings in Amateur Photography magazine like the one for warehouse express lol

but then I look at my humble Olly and think im a trend setter why would I want to follow the sheep. I have taken some really nice shots with my 520 and only on occasions have I noticed large amounts of noise, which the Canon and Nikon users of this world would have you believe to be as bad as pinhole photography. :rolleyes:

Just remember that the best camera is the one you've got - and the best photographer is the one who's always out taking pictures rather than the one always agonising over his next purchase! :D

Don't be distracted by the Canon and Nikon boys - they talk a lot about pixels, noise and sensor quality but curiously seldom mention lens quality, colour rendition or their hernias and slipped discs! :rolleyes:

Crippledsandwich
12th May 2010, 01:54 AM
lol very true, Olympus do make some very nice lenses indeed even the Om range. Im not sure how true this is but i heard four thirds is more geared up for macro photography than the other sensor types and thats an area that i would like to explore more along with landscapes

OlyPaul
12th May 2010, 06:00 AM
No, but I have been tempted to change from Canon to Olympus which is why I am now a Oly user,:)

DanH56
12th May 2010, 06:26 AM
I have been tempted many times - don't all those huge bodies and lenses look great! However, a trip through any National Trust bulding on a Bank Holiday is enough to stop me moving over. Herds of Canikon users with loads of kit and hardly any of them taking an actual picture! I shy away from the herd mentality and usually look for things that are a little different - which means Olympus suits me fine!

Another factor for me was looking at the forums attached to other brands. I don't know a great deal about my hobby and need to learn in a way I don't find intimidating. Forums are a way for me to pick up ideas and information without feeling a complete mug and this forum is far and away the friendliest. Might not be the main reason I went (and stayed) Olympus, but it was definitely a factor.

Oh, and the absolute wonderfullness of the E1 of course.

theMusicMan
12th May 2010, 06:51 AM
Yes, only because of full frame loveliness - not because of name. If Oly made a larger sensor camera, I'd stick with them absolutely.

The thing is, when you or I play our fav music, whatever gnre that is, we listen to the wonderfully rich and colorful music of the orchestra, the big full sounds of togetherness from the band, perhaps for the message the composer was trying to bring across. Many canikon users would talk about the mega wattage of the thermionic valves in the pre-amp, the stunning quality of the 12-band graphic equaliser display, and the signal-to-noise ratio of the sub-woofers in relation to the high frequency tweeters.

Me... I listen to the music. Get my drift. It's the output that counts.

j.baker
12th May 2010, 07:11 AM
Yes.

With unlimitied money, I would have a Nikon D3S plus a lot of glass :D , but I would still keep my Olympus equipment. The 35-100 is probably the best day to day lens I have ever used.

CaptainD
12th May 2010, 08:29 AM
How strange you should start this post as I was thinking of starting one along the same lines. I have to be honest I have for the very first time been questioning my allegiance to Olympus (Some may say "blind allegiance"!).

The reason in my case is simply down to what I love taking photographs of, birds . I also am starting to enjoy low light and motorsport photography also. So, yes you have guessed it already my frustration is noise increasing with higher ISO settings. So often I find myself compromised by have to just open the lens up and still pay the cost of lower shutter speeds than I would like. I am just about to post some images of a night at Poole speedway where I started at ISO 800 and ended up at ISO 1600. I will find it interesting to see what you all think of the E-3 at high ISO values (for Olympus).

I almost can't imagine how I could jump given the large investment I have made in my chosen system. It is enough to keep me awake even contemplating just selling all my kit, let alone trying to decide on which system to go with and then trying to work out what to buy!!

There are obviously so many things I treasure about my Olympus equipment and I would not especially want to learn how to use another system. Perhaps my bottom line will turn out to be the upcoming E-5 , I have developed a lot with the E-3 and my photographic journey is all the better for it. But I do feel it may well be a critical point for me.

Having said all that, what is the weakest link? Without any shadow of a doubt me!! I still have so much to learn and probably have more kit than my talent deserves. My 2 final thoughts are:

Could I ever in a million years be parted from the camera that got this love affair started, the E-1?

Would life be worth living without being part of our superb forum?

Cheers

Chris *chr

DekHog
12th May 2010, 08:41 AM
Yes, I was with Oly in the form of a E-510 and E-1, but both lacked certain features I wanted, but the E-30 was on the way to the market, so I couldn't wait for it to arrive as it was going to be 'my' camera that I'd waited patiently on.

When they announced the E-30 price, I was totally dumb-struck. Overpriced was a total understatement - so much so that I threw a hissy fit and promptly changed to Nikon...

There is no doubt the Nikon kit is fantastic, but it all gets a bit big and bulky, and the reason I went with Oly in the first place was size/weight - despite what others say, there really isn't anything in the image quality (unless you go full frame), although more DR would be nice.

I'm now back with Oly in the shape of a E-600 and very happy with it, but if money were no object I'd also have a D700 and 85mm F1.4 for portrait work.

As optically perfect as the SHG glass is, they are huge and seriously heavy and expensive lenses, and if the truth be told, Oly don't (at the moment) have a body/sensor to do them justice.

snaarman
12th May 2010, 08:52 AM
Hmm. Interesting topic.

I used Nikon film cameras for years but I was very disappointed when I saw just how big and expensive DSLRs turned out to be. How come? No film transport. No wind on/rewind motors. Far less in the way of mechanics. How come so big and so expensive. Grrr. So I waited and eventually the E400 came out. I tried one in the local camera shop. Now this is more like it - a sensible sized DSLR. Still a bit pricey but, too late, I seem to have bought one :-)

Fast forward. These days I find the E620 close to perfect for my needs, small and light. Olympus glass is outstanding. That 50mm macro is simply the sharpest optics I've ever put on a camera. However, the 11-22 andf 14-54 are about my upper limit for lens size and weight. Good so far.

The only gripe I have is the small viewfinder. With my older eyes I find it very tricky to use manual focus. How I wish it was like my old FE2 :o

Bottom line: Jump ship and change to another brand?? No - I don't think so :)

Pete

Bear
12th May 2010, 09:38 AM
Having used Olympus kit for three years, I am in the process of moving to Nikon, having just bought a D3s. The move was because my circumstances changed and I now need the extreme low light performance that Olympus can't give me. I have nothing against Olympus and really enjoyed using my E400, E510 and E3. The glass is superb but so is high end Nikon and Canon stuff. Prices are similar for high end glass. Olympus standard glass is streets ahead of the competitioon but I never used that so it doesn't really concern me. The size and weight issues are real for a lot of people but not me. I found the E3 a bit small and nearly always used it with the grip on. My E3 + grip + 12-60 weighs about a pound/pound and a half less than my D3s with the 24-70. Weight is simply not an issue, I just don't care.

If I could afford to keep my 4/3rds kit to run alongside the Nikon outfit, I would. Instead I am going to buy an m4/3rds camera to be my walkaround kit. I doubt I would have changed if my needs hadn't changed. there is no "best" camera, it is whatever works for you and meets your needs. Overall, my E3 is the best camera I have ever owned. Over time this opinion might change, I'll see.

BTW, the viewfinder on the D3s is astounding, it is like looking through a big bay window, even compared to the E3.

StephenL
12th May 2010, 09:41 AM
I moved from full-frame Canon (5D) to Olympus for weight and sensor dust reasons, and though I'm sometimes tempted to drool over Nikon, for the ready availability of 3rd party lenses, I'd never go back to Canon. Their bodies, especially dust reduction systems or lack of, with a couple of exceptions, just don't cut it.

JerryE-1
12th May 2010, 09:41 AM
If you rely on your chosen camera system to earn a living, but consistently find that your images are not satisfying your clients, then you would need to switch to a system that does satisfy them. The national press and sports syndicates use Canon/Nikon with fast lenses as they have to deliver images in any situation and weather (often in very low light and pouring rain) Olympus cannot match the D3 or 1Dmk4 at high iso but the E-3 and pro Zuikos are every bit as resistant to inclement weather.

If you really need to churn out billboard sized photos for ad agencies then a medium format system with a digital back would be standard equipment.

For every other non-professional use I cannot see much difference between any of the major manufacturers' offerings; it's basically a matter of personal preference. None of them produce bad cameras.

Jerry.

Zuiko
12th May 2010, 10:33 AM
If you rely on your chosen camera system to earn a living, but consistently find that your images are not satisfying your clients, then you would need to switch to a system that does satisfy them. The national press and sports syndicates use Canon/Nikon with fast lenses as they have to deliver images in any situation and weather (often in very low light and pouring rain) Olympus cannot match the D3 or 1Dmk4 at high iso but the E-3 and pro Zuikos are every bit as resistant to inclement weather.

If you really need to churn out billboard sized photos for ad agencies then a medium format system with a digital back would be standard equipment.

For every other non-professional use I cannot see much difference between any of the major manufacturers' offerings; it's basically a matter of personal preference. None of them produce bad cameras.
Jerry.

Well said, Jerry. All too often when choosing a camera far too much emphasis is placed on technical spec and test results with handling, and how the camera personally suits the photographer, being virtually overlooked.

Crippledsandwich
12th May 2010, 10:59 AM
Yes, only because of full frame loveliness - not because of name. If Oly made a larger sensor camera, I'd stick with them absolutely.

The thing is, when you or I play our fav music, whatever gnre that is, we listen to the wonderfully rich and colorful music of the orchestra, the big full sounds of togetherness from the band, perhaps for the message the composer was trying to bring across. Many canikon users would talk about the mega wattage of the thermionic valves in the pre-amp, the stunning quality of the 12-band graphic equaliser display, and the signal-to-noise ratio of the sub-woofers in relation to the high frequency tweeters.

Me... I listen to the music. Get my drift. It's the output that counts.

lol well said John

Crippledsandwich
12th May 2010, 11:16 AM
Thank you for all of your replies so far. I have to admit that lately I have been contemplating moving to Nikon or Canon, all those 3rd party lenses and other bits of kit. But when it comes down to it i just cant justify the move. The oly has served me extremely well, and I think i would rather update the E520 to a E620 or E30.

Steve Lane
12th May 2010, 02:49 PM
Not Nikon or Canon, but if I could afford it I would move to a M9 with 35mm 1.4 and 90mm f2 lenses in a heartbeat. Sadly this is never likely to happen as I don't have the spare cash to thow at my hobby :(

padgreen
12th May 2010, 04:29 PM
I've thought about both Canon (5D Mk11) and Nikon (D700) and while I wouldn't rule it out for the future, the thing that keeps me with Olympus (apart from not having massive funds to throw at camera equipment) is (1) the 4:3 aspect ratio, (2) the lenses and (3) weight.

Switching to either Canon/Nikon would lose (1) and to get (2) it would involve a huge penalty in (3) weight.

So for the present, Olympus serves me well. I once switched to Canon before buying a 1000FN because I wanted auto focus but I never really liked it as much as my OM1N.

I think the forth-coming Pentax 645 Digital will be very interesting, but that too would most likely be heavy. However, I'm thinking about a micro 4/3rd camera as a carry round to augment my E30. I don't particularly like the EVF, or rather I prefer an OVF, but if Olympus brought out a high spec model with built in flash of the size of the EPL1 and some higher quality lenses I would be very interested.

catkins
12th May 2010, 05:39 PM
Like so many other answers, size and weight are an important reason for using Olympus but better low light capabilities would be good to also have on board.

I started as a Zenith user, then Yashica, then Contax (improved version of Yashica for those not familiar with the brand), then Canon EOS 5. Loved the Canon and its eye controlled focus point selection (what happened to that idea?), hated the poor battery life, the weight, and the cost of extras.

But a bit of a flirtation with compact digital cameras lead to the need for a digital SLR, and Olympus offered the best price, weight and value. I've now gone from E-500 to E-520 and then E-30. I can carry easily 2 cameras with lenses in a small rucsac, and the doubling of focal length helps get me photos where others would struggle without major kit. I feel that I have nothing fancy, but I can get most of the photos that I want without to much opportunity for excuses!
But I still lust after other peoples camera/lens combos, and why not - but I just watch them find a reason to leave their camera at home, and remind myself, size really does matter!

But please Olympus, find a way of improving the low light capabilities, then I for one will have even less reason to lust elsewhere. Where will sensor technologies take us in the balance between size and capabilities, and what will the E-5 or its ilk bring us devotees?

Regards
Chris

photo_owl
12th May 2010, 06:12 PM

Jerry.pretty much how I see it

stevednp3
12th May 2010, 08:54 PM
Also like others I would only switch because of full frame, at some point in the next year I will get a full frame canon or nikon, hopefully I will have the budget to keep my olympus kit, but even if I have to sell I will get a EP-2 or something.

I love my e-30 the tech in the camera still blows away a lot of the current competition and hopefully the e-5 will persude me to stay away from the dark side :cool:

Greytop
12th May 2010, 09:56 PM
Wasn't tempted with Nikon or Canon but I did sell up (E-510, 12-60, 50-200 and 50 f/2) and moved to Pentax for just over a year.
Pentax make great gear and I really enjoyed using my K20D followed by my K-7, however I found Pentax zooms to be quite variable in quality, even their DA* range, having to concentrate on certain apertures in certain circumstances is no fun plus the slightly lethargic autofocus system can be frustrating. I will say that their primes are very nice but prime shooting is not my cup of tea.
Ultimately I missed the sheer optical quality of my Oly Pro zooms so I moved back a couple of months ago :)

wanderer
13th May 2010, 02:18 PM
I started out on a Kodak Instamatic and graduated via a Rollei B35 to an OM1. Then bought a couple of lenses, extension tubes and flash. Later to an OM2n. Later still I bought a whole lot more OM system lenses and then for touring on the bike an Oly 35mm compact zoom.
When I went digital in 2003 I stuck with Olympus and got a 5060 as I've always liked their design ethos. (weight, size). This was upgraded to an 8080. Finally about 5 years ago I went to DSLR. The main selling point for me was the SSWF as I didn't like the idea of grubbbing about poking the sensor. Bought an E-500 with kit lenses and 2 years ago bought the E-3 with 12-60, HLD-1 and FL50R as a kit from WHXP. Shortly I intend to buy another lens.
Its a slow process building up a collection.

I no longer have the Instamatic but I do have all the rest and they all still work.

So I suppose, no, I've not been tempted.

If I won the lottery there are a couple of nice 'wee' Hasselblads and Leicas out there I fancy but only after I had dipped into the selection of Olympus stuff.