PDA

View Full Version : What about a14-140 for standartd 4/3rds?

Toonman
10th May 2010, 11:00 AM
I'd love a good multi purpose lens for my E600, something like a 14-140 as recently produced for micro 4/3rds. The 18-180 is not wide enough and, does not exactly get good ratings. I'm wondering if there is much interest now in standard 4/3rds from Olympus in developing new lenses for the format?

Adam

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 11:09 AM
Hi Adam

You actually get this focal length range with the E series twin lens kit; you get the 14-42mm and the 40-150mm - both extremely capable lenses.

Toonman
10th May 2010, 11:36 AM
Hi John.

Yes you are right but I was thinking of something for travelling light, on holiday for instance.

I usually keep my 40-150 as the main lens and rarely use the 14-42.

Adam

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 11:42 AM
Not sure you are ever going to get Olympus to develop the 14-140 for 4/3 mount! If you wish to travel light, then maybe you'd need to take two lenses on your travels with you!

I am off to Sharm el Sheikh later in August and will be taking 7-14mm, 11-22mm, 14-54mm and 1.4EC. Can't risk missing an opportunity :)

Toonman
10th May 2010, 11:57 AM
Lucky so and so :)

I would like a wide angle lens, unfortuately not enough pennies in the bank. I was thinking of the 9-18 when the bank manager (my wife) gives me the thumbs up.;)

Adam

theMusicMan
10th May 2010, 12:02 PM
I can vouch for that lens, as I used one for a few weeks once, it is a cracker of a wide angle lens, really good. It is also very light.

You won't go wrong with that lens for wide angle shooting, Adam. Hope you manage to pull one over your lady... errr... I mean convince her to let you buy one :) hehe

Toonman
10th May 2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks John. *chr

Mrs T
10th May 2010, 04:40 PM
Hi Adam

I use the PanLeica 14-150mm. I wouldn't call it lightweight, but I have the full range in just one lens, leaving room in the bag for others if I want them. I originally used it on the E410, to provide IS.

Amanda

photo_owl
10th May 2010, 07:52 PM
those 2 lenses will be lighter than an equivilant 14-150, and not far away from volume either.

personally I use a 12-60 as a single lens solution - again it's relatively heavy and a bit bigger but it's fine on a 4xx or 6xx body (as well as 3 or 30)

Toonman
11th May 2010, 06:21 AM
Thanks Amanda and Photo Owl. I didn't know there was a14-150 Panasonic lens. Interesting.

Adam

Toonman
11th May 2010, 06:24 AM
Photo Owl, I have a battery grip for my E600 so the 12-60 would be ok but..... I have heard that the 12-60 has bad distortion at 12mm that can't be fixed in software, is this true?

Thanks
Adam

Toonman
11th May 2010, 06:26 AM
Amanda, I have searched the internet for the 14-150 and can't find anything :(

Do you know anywhere that stocks them?
Thanks

Adam

Update. Found it but, out of my price range :(

The Saint
11th May 2010, 07:12 AM
Adam

The 14-150 PanLecia is very hard to find. Last time I saw any were on B&H's website (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550046-REG/Panasonic_L_RS014150_14_150mm_f_3_5_5_6_Vario_Elma rit_Aspherical.html) in the USA.

Toonman
11th May 2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks 'Saint'.

Adam

photo_owl
11th May 2010, 11:08 AM
14-42 has barrel distortion at 14mm

what sort of serious distortion do you think the 12-60 suffers from?

DPR lists complex distortion in it's summary but it's specific test observation was "Barrel distortion is visible at 12mm, and shows an unusually strong 'wave' character with re-correction towards the corners of the frame. The rest of the range exhibits pincushion distortion, which is never excessively strong, peaking at 25mm and -0.78%. Overall very impressive considering the zoom range" You take your pick from "overall very impressive" or the specific comments as you wish.

Digital Camera Review's comment was "The Zuiko ED 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 SWD ESP zoom exhibits some minor barrel distortion at the wide-angle end of the zoom range, but no visible pincushion distortion at telephoto end of the range. Flare and internal reflections are very well controlled. Chromatic aberration is also remarkably well controlled; I didn't notice any significant color fringing even in high contrast edge demarcation areas."

Camera Labs review "In our optical tests there was some geometric distortion, but no more than you’d find with comparable ranges from other manufacturers. Indeed it delivered lower distortion and vignetting than most premium general-purpose lenses we’ve tested including the Sony Carl Zeiss DT 16-80mm and the Canon EF 24-105mm (the latter tested on both full-frame and cropped bodies)."

PhotoZone.de observed "The distortion characteristic of the Zuiko is pretty good for a lens in this class. At the most critical setting (12mm) it produces only a medium degree (2.31%) of barrel distortion (mustache style though). At 18mm there's virtually no distortion and beyond there're only minor pincushion distortions."

So, it isn't perfect. However it's a 5x zoom and for that it's pretty much a kingpin. You started the thread looking for a 10x zoom so, against that parameter and performance, the 12-60 could probably be considered 'perfect'! For comparison PhotoZone's test results on the Leica 14-150 commented "Extreme range zoom lenses are difficult beings with respect to correcting distortions and even the mighty Leica has problems here. At 14mm it produces a heavy amount of barrel distortions (~3%) - that said this is still at least 1% less than similar lenses at their wide setting (inc. the Canon EF 28-300mm L)." which can be directly compared to the above comments on the 12-60 (and that lens is also considered pretty amazing by most)

This isn't designed to be a sales pitch for the 12-60 - just trying to put things in perspective.

Toonman
12th May 2010, 06:24 AM
Thanks Photo Owl, just the information I'm after.

I am new to the Olympus system having come from Nikon (I know it's normally the other way around!). I bought an Olympus E600 twin lens kit after careful thought and deliberation. I am 'feeling my feet' with the system at the moment so any adsvise is welcome. I bought the E600 because of it's portability and very good kit lenses (compared to the competition) and because I was so tired of removing or, trying to remove dust off the sensor. I would love the 12-60 and the 9-18 and the 50mm macro.....saving my pennies.

The reason for starting the thread was not just to get feed back on a possible 14-140 but also to gauge the the thoughts of members on the future development of lenses for the 4/3rds system. It would appear that Olympus are not going to produce a 'walkabout lens' as other manufacturers have. I know about the 18-180 but, it is not wide enough to be classed as 'All purpose'.

Many thanks

Adam