PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on graphic tablets

E-3
7th May 2010, 04:04 PM
I am looking at buying a graphics tablet, & am looking for some advice on what to get. I have found there are tablets & LCD tablets (I assume means you dont need a monitor aswell) the main software I would be using would be Gimp (I dont know if they all work with all programmes) All advice would be most welcome as I am extremely confused by it all :confused: :D

j.baker
7th May 2010, 04:38 PM
There are input/graphic tablet and then there are computers with touch screens, which are sold as tablets.

If you want a portable computer with a touch interface, then look at the latter, but if you want to use a pen device to edit photographs and generally be a mouse replacement then have a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_tablet

and

http://www.wacom.com/index.html

Byford
29th July 2010, 10:11 AM
James - Did you buy a Graphics Tablet? I am also thinking of buying one but am not sure which one

stevednp3
29th July 2010, 12:34 PM
I use a Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium Pen&Touch, its roughly A4 size, so a great size to work with. This model is the silver type, which is less expensive than the black versions, but I compared both when looking to buy and the Bamboo fun seamed to be the same in responsive, so I thought why spend double the money this will do me fine, and it does :D

It works perfectly in the apps I have PS CS5, Lightroom 3 etc and makes editing photos a lot easier with the pressure sensitive brush, It uses a universal driver, so that the tablet can be used in any application, even if its not fully supported

*chr

E-3
29th July 2010, 03:47 PM
James - Did you buy a Graphics Tablet? I am also thinking of buying one but am not sure which one

No, I just could not decide which one to go for & ended up putting the idea on hold. I am now going to research the one that Steve just suggested :)

E-3
29th July 2010, 03:48 PM
I use a Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium Pen&Touch, its roughly A4 size, so a great size to work with. This model is the silver type, which is less expensive than the black versions, but I compared both when looking to buy and the Bamboo fun seamed to be the same in responsive, so I thought why spend double the money this will do me fine, and it does :D

It works perfectly in the apps I have PS CS5, Lightroom 3 etc and makes editing photos a lot easier with the pressure sensitive brush, It uses a universal driver, so that the tablet can be used in any application, even if its not fully supported

*chr

Steve, if you don`t mind me asking, what did you pay for it? (and if you do mind then tough, I still want to know) :D

stevednp3
29th July 2010, 05:12 PM
Oh well James dont have much choice do I ha ha:D

I had a good deal on mine I was browsing in PC world one day and they had a medium on display marked up with the small tablet price 84.99.

When I said I'll have that then at THAT price they argued it, but I said you are displaying that item with that price and it does not say from or anything so they had to sell it to me for the displayed price, I even had a brand new one from the stores, someone messed up that day :cool:

I think the medium normally goes for around the 150 mark, but pop into PC world or currys you never know ;)

Make sure you get a pen and touch model, as you can do all the cool pinch gestures like on the iphone, really helps for zooming in and out of pictures to do detailed editing

E-3
29th July 2010, 05:18 PM
Oh well James dont have much choice do I ha ha:D

I had a good deal on mine I was browsing in PC world one day and they had a medium on display marked up with the small tablet price 84.99.

When I said I'll have that then at THAT price they argued it, but I said you are displaying that item with that price and it does not say from or anything so they had to sell it to me for the displayed price, I even had a brand new one from the stores, someone messed up that day :cool:

I think the medium normally goes for around the 150 mark, but pop into PC world or currys you never know ;)

Make sure you get a pen and touch model, as you can do all the cool pinch gestures like on the iphone, really helps for zooming in and out of pictures to do detailed editing
Thank you Steve for the info, it is appreciated :)

stevednp3
29th July 2010, 05:32 PM
Also if you was wondering how much room the medium tablet takes up, heres a quick shot of my desk

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/IMAG0062.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25923)

jonesy
29th July 2010, 06:06 PM
I'll second the "vote" for Wacom
I use a bamboo tablet at work, it has helped lessen the effects of RSI on my wrists, and in my job (CAD) its so easy to use to draw and edit :)

I really ought to consider getting one for home... Tho I wont have a great set-up like Steve has :(

jamie allan
29th July 2010, 06:16 PM
James,
I bought my son a Trust TB4200 - you can't get them now but you can get is successor. I bought it from Maplin and it only cost me 35. I've got to say I found it impressive as did my son. I got it for him as he is dyslexic but as many dyslexics are - he is very arty. Considering the punishment the rest of his room takes I'm impressed that it still works!

E-3
29th July 2010, 08:24 PM
Also if you was wondering how much room the medium tablet takes up, heres a quick shot of my desk

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/IMAG0062.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25923)

Nice set-up there Steve *yes

E-3
29th July 2010, 08:28 PM
James,
I bought my son a Trust TB4200 - you can't get them now but you can get is successor. I bought it from Maplin and it only cost me 35. I've got to say I found it impressive as did my son. I got it for him as he is dyslexic but as many dyslexics are - he is very arty. Considering the punishment the rest of his room takes I'm impressed that it still works!

I remember looking at Trust tablets, but they just seemed to good to be true (price wise) but you have re-planted the seed now :D

stevednp3
29th July 2010, 08:29 PM
Glad you like my desktop, I spend far too much time on my pc :o

Byford
29th July 2010, 09:51 PM
This discussion has been really useful to me - thanks !! I was looking at the Intuos 4 small which Park Cameras have for 179.99 however I have checked out the Bamboo Fun on Amazon and its 131.50 and there are also 11 reviews with all bar one being favourable.....so I think I will go for this one as it suits my budget and the amount of use it will probably get.

wanderer
29th July 2010, 10:01 PM
Nice set-up there Steve

I'm not impressed.
There's not a single cup stain, not even on the mouse mat, and it doesn't look as if there are any biscuit crumbs in the keyboard.:D

Duncan