PDA

View Full Version : Mark on Viewfinder

malcapone
6th May 2010, 06:37 PM
Hiya can anyone shed any light on this - I have a mark when I look through my viewfinder on my E-620 (it looks more than a speck) I doesn't appear on the live view or the pictures - I suppose I could just ignore it but I would prefer not to.
If anyone of you (brainier than me people) can Help I would be eternally Grateful.

E-620 E-410 17.5/45 - Pancake - 40/150 - T20 - HLD5

:(

Westy
6th May 2010, 06:42 PM
It is dust on the focussing screen if sharp, or if out of focus on your prism. Dont do anything, from bitter experience dust blowers excetera will only make matters worse. Just learn to ignore it.

malcapone
6th May 2010, 06:47 PM
Yes I thought that would be the case - Ignoring it is.
I can console myself with the fact that its not on the pictures

Zuiko
6th May 2010, 07:48 PM
A friend of mine recently had the same problem on his E3 and tried cleaning the screen while we were in the field. The screen popped out and he had a devil of a job getting it back in, all the time with the lens removed, of course. Eventually he succeeded but the mark was still there and in addition he had gained some muck on the sensor, which the SSWF couldn't shift. Being Olympus users neither of us had a sensor cleaning kit (why would we?) so in all the shoot turned into a bit of a disaster for him.

I'd be inclined to leave well alone or have the camera serviced.

malcapone
7th May 2010, 09:50 AM
Does anybody know if.............. it Would or could it be sorted under my warranty? because the camera is 6 months old - or is that classed as wear and tear?

:confused:

Zuiko
8th May 2010, 12:33 AM
Does anybody know if.............. it Would or could it be sorted under my warranty? because the camera is 6 months old - or is that classed as wear and tear?

If the mark was there from new (i.e. when you first took it out of the box) then you should have a case. Unfortunately, if the mark appeared later then I would very much doubt it would come under warranty, although the charge for a clean up may not be too bad. Why not contact Olympus for advice and see what they can offer?

j.baker
8th May 2010, 07:42 AM
I have had several marks (dust/pollen) on my focusing screen.

I called Olympus UK and I was told that I could get my camera serviced once a year, whist under warrantee(2 years if EU/UK part, 1 elsewhere)

I have had my E30 serviced this year for exactly the same problem.....and the cleaned it so it looked like new. I did it in the past with my E510 as well.

This think that this also applied to lenses.

Give Olympus UK a call and they should help.....but don't forget to use the service/repair form and use royal mail special delivery.

Olympus UK contact details.
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_1562.htm

Repair Form
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/images/Repair_Form_Cons_uk.pdf

malcapone
13th May 2010, 04:48 AM
SUCCESS!
after thinking I may have to get it professionally cleaned because the speck of pollen was staring at me like some dodgy bloke on a bus everytime I switched it on.So a Canon using friend told me that this was a regular occurrance for them and advised me to buy a Giotto Rocket, ( Not the Cheap Hama Version) now I had already tried one of poundland type little puffer brushes to no avail but I took his advice because it said that it could even shift pollen and it wasnt kidding - I know some of you out there don't like dust blowers but this thing cost me about six quid off amazon and it must be the best money ever spent so of anyone has any pollen or other foreign bodies staring at them from the viewfinder get one of these they are worth thier weight in gold.
Marvellous!!

E-620 E410 17.5/45, Pancake, 40/150, HLD5, T20

Zuiko
13th May 2010, 08:19 AM
SUCCESS!
after thinking I may have to get it professionally cleaned because the speck of pollen was staring at me like some dodgy bloke on a bus everytime I switched it on.So a Canon using friend told me that this was a regular occurrance for them and advised me to buy a Giotto Rocket, ( Not the Cheap Hama Version) now I had already tried one of poundland type little puffer brushes to no avail but I took his advice because it said that it could even shift pollen and it wasnt kidding - I know some of you out there don't like dust blowers but this thing cost me about six quid off amazon and it must be the best money ever spent so of anyone has any pollen or other foreign bodies staring at them from the viewfinder get one of these they are worth thier weight in gold.
Marvellous!!

E-620 E410 17.5/45, Pancake, 40/150, HLD5, T20

Glad to hear it was so easily resolved! *chr