PDA

View Full Version : Image stabilising

cinders
5th May 2010, 03:04 PM
I've just realised just how important it is to switch off the 'IS' when using a tripod - especially for close up shots. I was photographing fossils with the camera mounted on a stand, manual focusing, and it all looked great in the viewfinder, remote control shutter etc. I really couldn't understand just how the first few shots were so far out of focus when I enlarged them. Then I realised! *idea

Mental note to self - don't forget to switch off the IS - much better shots afterwards! *laugh

Wreckdiver
5th May 2010, 03:19 PM
I've read that somewhere, to switch off IS when using a tripod. I only ever switch IS on when I need it and immediately off afterwards. I have also read somewhere (how true I don't know) that the servo system, when on, constantly hunts and therefore would be detrimental to picture quality if the camera is on a tripod.

Your experience certainly supports this.

Steve

andym
5th May 2010, 03:54 PM
I like Steve only use IS when I think it is required and is therefore off most of the time.
If I have used IS I always turn the camera off with IS enabled so it can go through its reset ie the "clicking noise" then repower the camera and turn IS off.

Does this make a difference,who knows.But the repositioning of the IS must do something.:confused:

JerryE-1
5th May 2010, 04:30 PM
I remember reading somewhere that IS is one of the biggest drains on the battery, so it's probably a good idea to turn it off when not required.

Jerry.

Toonman
6th May 2010, 10:43 AM
Unless I am using a tripod I always leave IS on and never had any problems.

Adam

benvendetta
6th May 2010, 11:34 AM
I remember reading somewhere that IS is one of the biggest drains on the battery, so it's probably a good idea to turn it off when not required.

Jerry.

My batteries seem to last absolutely ages - even with IS on all the time.
It is Live View that eats them! :eek:

snaarman
6th May 2010, 11:54 AM
Unless I am using a tripod I always leave IS on and never had any problems.

Adam

I admit I leave IS on all the time. In general I am happy - but just occasionally I have a suspicion that IS has done more damage than good. By then its too late to go back and take the picture again.

Pete

Nick Temple-Fry
6th May 2010, 12:22 PM
I haven't noticed any adverse effect of leaving IS on (even for long exposures on church interiors) in terms of sharpness. It does however add to heat and, in my view, increases image noise. So leaving it on is generally a bad idea.

Cinders has actually found an example where it would be quite easy to do controlled tests and then peek at pixel level.

Nick

cinders
6th May 2010, 09:46 PM
It certainly did make a difference and having switched it off, I got a reasonably good set of images, but I must admit that up until now I've usually gone back to my trusty little C7070 for really close shots as it gets the DOF quite easily.

Of course if I had a good set of extension tubes....!!!!! Sigh...

theMusicMan
7th May 2010, 11:37 AM
I never turn mine off... and often keep forgetting when my E3 is on the tripod. Never really noticed any degradation though. I must remember about how it uses battery life though as well.

Ian
7th May 2010, 04:14 PM

Jerry.

If you use Mode 1 IS then the IS actuation only happens for a fraction of a second after you press the shutter release, although there may be some additional drain from the gyro sensors. But I haven't noticed it being a big drain on battery life myself.

Ian

cinders
7th May 2010, 04:35 PM
I've never had any problems with excessive battery drain compared to the E410 - so I also leave it on most of the time. It might be something to think about on a long days shooting though.