PDA

View Full Version : Olympus RC Flash and sekonic L-358

c3ham
1st May 2010, 04:10 PM
Hi

I bought a sekonic flash meter with the intension of using it with multiple off camera flashes (in manual mode) using the olympus rc system but i can only get a reading from the pre flash signal is there a way round this or have i wasted 200.:confused:

thanks
Craig

Wreckdiver
1st May 2010, 04:14 PM
Hi

I bought a sekonic flash meter with the intension of using it with multiple off camera flashes (in manual mode) using the olympus rc system but i can only get a reading from the pre flash signal is there a way round this or have i wasted 200.:confused:

thanks
Craig

If you are getting pre-flashes then the flash is in TTL mode. Put it in manual and all should be OK.

Steve

c3ham
1st May 2010, 04:21 PM
its in manual it only seems to be picking up the popup flash output because its slightly ahead of the main flash i assume

Wreckdiver
1st May 2010, 04:40 PM
Then I would point the Lightmeter at the flash with the camera behind the flashmeter so that the flashmeter can't see the camera's pop-up flash. Then take a reading. Keep the camera's flash output level to the minimum required to trigger the flash.

The way I do it is to use a sync cable to fire the flash from the lightmeter and get an aperture reading to dial in on the camera.

Steve

c3ham
1st May 2010, 05:08 PM
thanks for the sugestion but it dont seem to matter what i do i cant get it to take the main flash reading i would use a sync cord but my metz 48's dont have a sync cord connection i might look into a Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4

DekHog
1st May 2010, 10:52 PM
You can get a hotshoe to PC sync (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hotshoe-PC-Sync-Terminal-Converter-/360255506507?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUn its_JN&hash=item53e0e6c84b) adaptor to plug a cable into... pointless having your Olympus wireless system and then running around manually changing each flash unit... that's if the V4's even decide to work properly...

Ross the fiddler
2nd May 2010, 12:23 AM
Why is it necessary to use a flash meter. From my experience, if using FL50R's, by selecting the zoom on each flash first, the camera would select the amount of manual o/p for each group of flashes, the camera can be set to Manual, ISO 200, flash sync at 1/250 sec for E30 (if for E410 use ISO 100 with 1/160 sec) & start at F8 & take your test shots from there.
Does the Metz 48 perform similarly or not?

Ross

Wreckdiver
2nd May 2010, 09:30 AM
Why is it necessary to use a flash meter.

If you are working with both the camera and flash in manual mode then using the flashmeter and lumisphere (incident light) you get extremely accurate measurements. If using multiple flashes then it makes a complicated lighting scenario become a one-click measurement. It takes all the trial and error out of getting an accurate exposure.

Manual mode and a lightmeter really are the only way to get consistent, accurate exposures every time.

Steve

Ross the fiddler
2nd May 2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will now do some studying of how to set up flashes using a light meter. Can you recommend any publications or online pages/tutorials that would be informative on this subject (British or Australian prefered).

Thanks,
Ross

Wreckdiver
2nd May 2010, 10:13 AM
Can you recommend any publications or online pages/tutorials that would be informative on this subject (British or Australian prefered).

Thanks,
Ross

What type of flash photography are you interested in? This one has a lot of information on using flash for portaiture: Digital Portrait Photography

It is an American book, as are most I have come across.

Steve

Ross the fiddler
2nd May 2010, 10:56 AM
The book Digital Portrait Photography looks good, thanks.

I don't see myself doing much that would be considered studio type photography. Concerts (ochestral) & dance (Scottish Country) & private events are more typcal of my use of flash apart from macro & super macro photography where 2 FL36R's are used in RC mode or a ring reflector attached to FL50(R). (I would like the OLY macro twin flash, but finances dictate it will have to wait)

At events, bounced flash off a ceiling would be the normal.

Setting up 3 flashes in RC mode (1 X FL50R & 2 X FL36R) is something I haven't had much use for yet, but with flash use, a little knowledge of the maths in manual set up would be useful.

It doesn't hurt to be aware of other methods of flash use & to take part in some community college photography courses. This is where I have had a taste of studio portraiture.

Thanks for your helpful answer,
Ross

David Gethin
2nd May 2010, 11:23 AM
Suggestion for c3ham's original question about the lightmeter and the pop up pre-flash.

The Oly wireless system suggests it isn't optical but as c3ham has seen it does require the pop-up flash to fire in order to fire the FL-36R etc

This can also be problematic when using other flashes that use an optical slave (eg the YN 460). The solution I have with multiple fashes firing off of the pop up is to wrap the pop up in foil and create a snoot aimed at the FL-36R.

This might also help with shielding the sekonic from the pop up flash and allowing a reading on your lighting your set up?

Ross the fiddler
2nd May 2010, 11:34 AM
Yes, sorry to divert the forum before, but The solution I have with multiple fashes firing off of the pop up is to wrap the pop up in foil and create a snoot aimed at the FL-36R.
would a paper towel roll serve the purpose there? It would at least keep its shape.
Ross