PDA

View Full Version : E-3 Focusing probelms not mentioned in magazines in UK and USA?

dennisg
17th February 2008, 02:55 AM
I was down in Florida several weeks ago on vacation and bought several UK Photo magazines; Digital Camera World, Pro Photo, Digital Photo, and Digital SLR User. First hats off to folks over there. I really love these publications! They are really done well and are very informative!!!

Now back to the subject. In all of these magazines that I purchased, there was no mention of the E-3's focusing problem in all of the reviews of E-3 and its High Speed Focusing capabilities. Isn't it strange that even in Popular Photography Magazine over here in the US did not pickup on this very eveident issue with the E-3?

I just find this all puzzling and I am looking forward to purchasing the E-3 body during the summer, but will be using my 14-54 F2.8-3.5 and 40-150 F3.5-5.6 lenses with this body. I may just dodge this issue, but I am hoping that it finally gets resolved and the "Assignable Cause" are identified and the "Correct Corrective Action(s)" are taken by Olympus worldwide!

Dennis G :rolleyes:

PeterD
17th February 2008, 10:34 AM
I was down in Florida several weeks ago on vacation and bought several UK Photo magazines; Digital Camera World, Pro Photo, Digital Photo, and Digital SLR User. First hats off to folks over there. I really love these publications! They are really done well and are very informative!!!

Now back to the subject. In all of these magazines that I purchased, there was no mention of the E-3's focusing problem in all of the reviews of E-3 and its High Speed Focusing capabilities. Isn't it strange that even in Popular Photography Magazine over here in the US did not pickup on this very eveident issue with the E-3?

I just find this all puzzling and I am looking forward to purchasing the E-3 body during the summer, but will be using my 14-54 F2.8-3.5 and 40-150 F3.5-5.6 lenses with this body. I may just dodge this issue, but I am hoping that it finally gets resolved and the "Assignable Cause" are identified and the "Correct Corrective Action(s)" are taken by Olympus worldwide!

Dennis G :rolleyes:

Hi Dennis,

There has been a real problem over here (EU) on focussing issues. As you will no doubt have read on the main thread dealing with this issue, faulty 12-60 lens have been shipped and identified as such by Olympus. This was unfortunate but I guess was one of the hazards in launching a new product as other manufacturers have found when launching new gear. There have also been firmware updates to the body, 70-300 lens and the 12-60 lens. These have all, as far as I can understand, have had a major part of the change which affects focussing.
There are some who continue to believe that issues remain but time will tell if they are proved right or wrong. Suffice it to say that the majority of owners feel the product is good.
Turning now to your theme on reviews. I too have been puzzled about the seeming contradictions of what is said by some users and what is said in the press and also by experts testing the cameras. My conclusion is that, in the right hands a lot of the issues are avoided by how the camera is used and that I for one can get more from the camera as my experience grows. By launching a flexible 'PRO' camera, this is always going to be a bit of a risk and shock for we amatuers. The real problems experienced by us creates a lack of confidence in the product which feeds the feeling that something, other than ourselves, is wrong.
These are my thoughts and mine alone. I am very pleased with the product I now own (both original body and 12-60 lens have been replaced) and I strive to improve my skills.

PeterD

DerekW
17th February 2008, 11:05 AM
Perhaps some of the reviews are "Review by Press release" ie a cursory play with the camera and a retyping of the press release and spec sheet.

ptomsu
17th February 2008, 11:14 AM
I do not wonder that issues are not reported in magazines. Most of the reviewers are biased because the magazines all live on vendors and their advertisements. So this is the main reason you will not see much issues reported in magazines.

The Internet has opened a whole new medium here - good and bad! I think more good than bad!

250swb
26th February 2008, 10:07 PM
there was no mention of the E-3's focusing problem in all of the reviews of E-3

Perhaps this is because there are very few E3's with a focusing problem. Sift out users not reading the manual, and those having unreasonable expectations of what the camera can or cannot focus on, and inexperienced users, the faulty 12-60mm lenses, and what focus problems are left are confined to very few genuine faulty cameras.