PDA

View Full Version : 50-200 Swd

Westy
16th February 2008, 06:45 PM
Now that this lens is out and about has anybody got any views to share about it, good or bad. Would like to know how it compares to the old version, as this is the lens thats next on my shopping list. I would like to see comparisons between the new and old versions if possible.:confused:

Ian have you had the new lens to test yet?

sapper
16th February 2008, 08:20 PM
Check out this site, there i a mention of the lens here. I think Brian is a member here so he may have some info for you.
I want one too!

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3york.html

Dave.

PeterD
16th February 2008, 10:46 PM
Westy and Dave

Thanks for the posts. What a wonderful set of images and dialogue on your link Dave.

I am also interested in more information on this lens. The image of the mother seal and pup is tremendous.

PeterD

Jim Ford
17th February 2008, 04:23 PM
Now that this lens is out and about has anybody got any views to share about it, good or bad. Would like to know how it compares to the old version, as this is the lens thats next on my shopping list. I would like to see comparisons between the new and old versions if possible.:confused:

I'd like the lens myself.

The old 50-200mm cost 'an arm and a leg'. My understanding is that for the new one they'll want the kidneys as well!

Jim

PeterD
17th February 2008, 05:25 PM
I'd like the lens myself.

The old 50-200mm cost 'an arm and a leg'. My understanding is that for the new one they'll want the kidneys as well!

Jim

I guess your right Jim. Seen the price on the web and it took my breath away. Almost the cost of an E3 body.

Still, we can dream can't we. Its a good bit of glass. My problem is that it will not have the reach of the 70-300 even if I add the 1.4 converter:(

PeterD

DerekW
17th February 2008, 05:28 PM
Might not have the reach - but it will be more hand holdable

PeterD
17th February 2008, 05:34 PM
Might not have the reach - but it will be more hand holdable

I agree Derek and would love to buy it but I have to look at my options. I still have to get the hang of the 70-300:(. You will understand if you see my other post.
My skills have got to improve first.

PeterD

Jim Ford
17th February 2008, 05:45 PM
Still, we can dream can't we. Its a good bit of glass. My problem is that it will not have the reach of the 70-300 even if I add the 1.4 converter

There's alway the 50-500mm Sigma - the 'Bigma'. There's been mixed reports about the performance at 500mm, but there are users that are satisfied.

The problem is the more we get, the more we want. In the heyday of 35mm film, a lens with the equivalent of 600mm would have been a pretty exotic piece of kit - certainly one you couldn't have easily held in the palm of your hand!

Jim

PeterD
17th February 2008, 06:05 PM
There's alway the 50-500mm Sigma - the 'Bigma'. There's been mixed reports about the performance at 500mm, but there are users that are satisfied.

The problem is the more we get, the more we want. In the heyday of 35mm film, a lens with the equivalent of 600mm would have been a pretty exotic piece of kit - certainly one you couldn't have easily held in the palm of your hand!

Jim

You are very right on both counts Jim. I never thought to look at the Sigma lens but I am resisting more additions until I achieve my best with what I have got.

Just to add a note re the old film days - There was no way ordinary Joe public could take a shot in the morning and receive critique an hour or so later. This saves an awful lot of money and allows far faster personal development, I keep reminding myself, not to look back.

PeterD

Westy
17th February 2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the link Dave, I think I am right in saying this was a pre-production lens. Would like more Info on the final version. The cheapest I have seen the new SWD version is 799, of course they may not have stock.I wounder how much better the new SWD version is over the old version.:confused:

andym
17th February 2008, 06:34 PM
Westy

I have the old version of the 50-200 ,I think opticaly it is very good.I use it in combination with the EC14 for wildlife shots and am very pleased with the results.
I do not have the 70-300 but from the posts I've seen the 50-200 seems to much more sharp.I alway feel the images I've seen from the 70 -300 look a little flat,this may be only my personal point of view.
Now the only thing about the 50-200 I would like to improve is the focus speed.Its OK if you are near the point you wish to focus on but if its not it always seems to move right to one extream of focus(always the wrong way)and them back before getting focus.If the SWD version does not do this it is a good investment.
I was lucky, I found my 50-200 secondhand for 350 about a year ago and have been very please with especially at that price.
Below is an example taken yesterday with it.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P2160763.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2801)

Westy
17th February 2008, 06:42 PM
Hi Andy nice and sharp pic of the blue tit, was this with just the 50-200 or did you have the EC14 on as well? I have the same opinion as yourself of the 70-300 , but at less than half the price you wouldn't expect the same performance.My dilemma is do I get the old version and save some money or save just a little bit more for what should be if only slightly a better lens.

andym
17th February 2008, 06:52 PM
Hi Westy

Yes this did include the EC14,I did consider buying the EC20 which is available at the same price from some places but have herd reports about it a bit flat.

PeterD
17th February 2008, 07:34 PM
Andy/Westy

I know very little about the new SWD 50-200 but when I looked up the price at Park Cameras this overall comment is posted:

An advanced, high-performance 4x telephoto zoom lens also belonging to the HG series. While improving the colour blur property of the current ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 lens and incorporating the new SWD mechanism in the AF drive, this new lens maintains the same high image quality with excellent resolution and contrast throughout the zoom range.

• The newly developed, original SWD system enables automatic focusing at ultra-high speed with ultra-high precision and silence. When combined with the forthcoming E-1 successor model, these lenses will achieve the world's fastest-class autofocusing. A mechanical manual focusing mechanism is also provided for comfortable manual focusing with accurate response.

The reason for posting this extract from the site is the mention of colour blur. Andy, is this a real issue re the original 50-200?

PeterD

andym
17th February 2008, 07:51 PM
Peter

I believe this is something to do with the Bokeh which is the how the OOF background looks in a photo.I myself do not know much about this but there is much writern about it.

Try this link to a test of 50-200 on John Fosters excelent site

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/telecomp.html

I myself am very happy with image's it produces.

Westy
17th February 2008, 07:53 PM
Peter I may be well of base here but I think the reference to (the colour blur property) of the lens is what is called the bokeh or literally the shape of out of focus highlights within the picture. This seems to be a big issue to some people, personally as long as the lens is sharp and focuses well, that is all that concerns me.:confused:

Westy
17th February 2008, 07:55 PM
Andy you beat me to it.:D

andym
17th February 2008, 07:56 PM
Andy you beat me to it.:D

We must have been typing at the same time.

Westy
17th February 2008, 07:58 PM
Andy you must have been using more than one finger:o

andym
17th February 2008, 08:16 PM
Andy you must have been using more than one finger:o

No chance,one finger only thats me

PeterD
17th February 2008, 08:25 PM
Peter

I believe this is something to do with the Bokeh which is the how the OOF background looks in a photo.I myself do not know much about this but there is much writern about it.

Try this link to a test of 50-200 on John Fosters excelent site

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/telecomp.html

I myself am very happy with image's it produces.

Thanks for the link above Andy. A very interesting read. With the SWD lens coming out i guess the price of the old lens should drop.

Cheers

PeterD

brob108
17th February 2008, 08:45 PM
The cheapest I have seen the new SWD version is 799, of course they may not have stock.I wounder how much better the new SWD version is over the old version.:confused:

Hi Westy

I've had mine on reserve for a month at Camera World (www.cameraworld.co.uk) for 779...still waiting for it but hope it will arrive soon. This is the best price I've seen (esp when compare to 899 at another store) so don't mind hanging on a bit but will be needing it soon.

Brian

sapper
17th February 2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the link Dave, I think I am right in saying this was a pre-production lens. Would like more Info on the final version. The cheapest I have seen the new SWD version is 799, of course they may not have stock.I wounder how much better the new SWD version is over the old version.:confused:

Where is it at this price?
Dave.

Westy
17th February 2008, 08:54 PM
Sorry Dave it was an advert in one of the recent photo mags that i have read, I cant put my finger on it at the moment it must be an age thing. Will have another look later to see if i can find it again.:o

CaptainD
17th February 2008, 09:09 PM
Has anyone seen any comments on any difference in optical quality between the original 50-200mm and the new SWD version? Are the optics exactly the same?

PeterD
17th February 2008, 10:39 PM
I am asking Ian Kerr what he is asking for for this lens and also the 1.4 converter. Let you know when I hear from him.

PeterD

photo_owl
17th February 2008, 10:59 PM
Hi Westy

Yes this did include the EC14,I did consider buying the EC20 which is available at the same price from some places but have herd reports about it a bit flat.

reasonably happy with the ec20 - this from today

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2404/2272249864_09796a52c1_o.jpg

seems to do the job

PeterD
17th February 2008, 11:15 PM
reasonably happy with the ec20 - this from today

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2404/2272249864_09796a52c1_o.jpg

seems to do the job

It certainly does. Thanks for posting the image.

PeterD

photo_owl
17th February 2008, 11:23 PM
thank you Peter

what was noticalble was that the ec20 spent most of the time in my pocket, despite the excellent light, where I would proabably have left the ec14 on the lens the whole time - only took the one lens ...

sapper
18th February 2008, 07:39 AM
I am asking Ian Kerr what he is asking for for this lens and also the 1.4 converter. Let you know when I hear from him.

PeterD

I already done that:) Just bought a pair of canon is binos from him, 50 better price than anywhere else:D
Dave.

PeterD
18th February 2008, 08:32 AM
I already done that:) Just bought a pair of canon is binos from him, 50 better price than anywhere else:D
Dave.

Dave

have you got the prices then? Ian auto replied to my e-mail to say he will be out for the next few days.

Thanks

PeterD

PS I shall be out for most of the day but will pick this up again late afternoon. Have a great day all

sapper
18th February 2008, 08:45 AM
Dave

have you got the prices then? Ian auto replied to my e-mail to say he will be out for the next few days.

Thanks

PeterD

PS I shall be out for most of the day but will pick this up again late afternoon. Have a great day all

Peter D
No not yet. I emailed him yesterday via ebay.
Whatever the price, it's got to be better than the competition.

Dave.

PeterD
18th February 2008, 12:17 PM
Peter D
No not yet. I emailed him yesterday via ebay.
Whatever the price, it's got to be better than the competition.

Dave.

Managed to get a break for 30mins or so.

I agree with you Dave, thats why I have gone back to him:D

We should have an answer by the end of the week.

PeterD

Westy
22nd February 2008, 03:48 PM
Price update 749 at Bristol Cameras for the 50-200 SWD

andym
22nd February 2008, 04:13 PM
Beware Bristol cameras.I had a bad experiance with them a couple of years ago.
I ordered the 14-54 from them as it was the best price I could find at the time.I was stated as in stock and let me proceed with my internet order.
When the conformation came through it said it was out of stock and I would be informed when it was in stock and no money would be taken from my credit card.I checked my internet banking the next day and loe and behold they had debited my account.
It took me a week of theatening them to get my money recredited.
Needless to say I cancelled and will not use them again.
I ordered one from Digital depot which arrived the day after the order and was only 5.00 more.
This may be a one off but I will not order from them again.

Westy
22nd February 2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the Info on Bristol Cameras, does anybody know if Digital Depot price match as there advertised price for this lens is 899?

sapper
22nd February 2008, 11:47 PM
There is a seller on ebay doing them for less.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270213688708&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017
Dave.

Westy
18th March 2008, 07:24 PM
Well finally bit the bullet this week and I received my 50-200 SWD lens from Digital Depot today. The second parcel this week that has been left on the door step. The local villains could have had a field day:( have emailed the supplier to let him know about the courier.
Will have to wait till the weekend to try out the lens in any meaningful fashion. Boy its certainly a large piece of kit that oozes quality, but balances well when fitted to the E3.

Jim Ford
18th March 2008, 10:57 PM
I think you'll be very pleased with the lens - I am with mine.

I'm still undecided whether I'll take my E3, 12-60mm and 50-200mm lenses backpacking in Scotland this year. I usually carry too much gear as it is. The alternative is to take the E500 and kit lenses as I did last year, but there doesn't seem much point in having the E3 unless I use it.

Jim

Nick Temple-Fry
19th March 2008, 12:28 AM
Well the e-500 is a tough bit of kit, as was the old 50-200, I've bounced both about in the insides of a small boat without any harm.

But the e-3 with its better protection and superior handling of high iso/low light - well it's not really a choice, is it?

Nick

PeterD
19th March 2008, 01:34 AM
Well the e-500 is a tough bit of kit, as was the old 50-200, I've bounced both about in the insides of a small boat without any harm.

But the e-3 with its better protection and superior handling of high iso/low light - well it's not really a choice, is it?

Nick

Not to forget the weather sealing on the E3, 12-60 and 50-200. A real winning combination. For that extra flexibility, how about an EC14 which is also weather sealed.

PeterD

ianc
19th March 2008, 10:43 AM
Not to forget the weather sealing on the E3, 12-60 and 50-200. A real winning combination. For that extra flexibility, how about an EC14 which is also weather sealed.

PeterD

I have to agree with Peter. As someone who spends a lot of their time backpacking in the highlands I wouldn't be without the sealing of the E3/E1 and pro lenses. With the E3/E1 I can keep the camera on the waist belt of my sac always available no matter how bad the weather is. I have found if you have to put the camera in your sac you will take far fewer pictures. In the past I have had both cameras and lenses damaged due to foul weather, in some cases these were uneconomical to repair. I tend not to take the 50-200mm backpacking due to the weight but go with the E3 12-60 and EC14.

Ian C.

Haisbro
23rd March 2008, 07:43 AM
I sold my old 50-200 to scanny on here and had a nervous wait as i bought a SWD on e-bay. Well it arrived yesterday as described. I paid 639 and a link is here.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ASIA-ELECTRONICS-BOUTIQUE

Good comms. He has a lot of nice glass 150 f2 at 1250 is tempting. Interestingly the E3 body is the same price as dealer in UK.

I'll post some images and feedback later.

David

David M
23rd March 2008, 10:51 AM

Ian have you had the new lens to test yet?

To get back to the original point of this thread I'll add the following.

My sample of the SWD version is sharper than the sample of the original 50-200 I used to own. I was never really impressed with the old one.

It also focusses faster than the old one on my 410. I sold my E-1 at the same time as I sold my 50-200 (and 14-54) so I can't compare focus speed on the E-1.

It misses focus on low/no contrast subjects much like the old one but the manual focus on the SWD version is nicer. I'm surprised how frequently I'm using manual focus only.