PDA

View Full Version : My postman has just delivered my new 70-300mm &........

E-3
23rd April 2010, 01:36 PM
.........my god am I impressed *yes Why does this lens have such a insanely low price tag ( I paid just under 250 delivered):confused: I have to admitt I was not expecting this quality of build (it does not even look cheap if you lie it side to side with my 90-250mm). Anyone who has been holding off buying one of these, you would not be dissapointed ;) I have just checked the firmware & its on 1.3, I would be grateful if someone could tell me if this is the latest firmware for the lens or not?..........................Anyway off to play with it now :D

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd April 2010, 03:11 PM
Whatever you do, don't do a comparison shoot with all your lenses at 100mm f/8.0 :D

Oh! go on then - just for a laugh (ours, not yours) see if we can tell what lens took what. Play fair though, no turning off the IS when using the 70-300

*chr

Adagio
23rd April 2010, 07:01 PM
I have just checked the firmware & its on 1.3, I would be grateful if someone could tell me if this is the latest firmware for the lens or not?. :D

Yes it is.

E-3
23rd April 2010, 07:49 PM
Yes it is.

Thank you for the info *chr

Barrie Norman
23rd April 2010, 08:08 PM
I think you will enjoy the 70-300, my wife has laid claim to mine but they are a good all round light weight lens that you can carry with you all the time and they do perform well in good light.

OlyPaul
24th April 2010, 06:43 AM
My most used lens at the moment, I'm sure you will enjoy it.*yes

theMusicMan
24th April 2010, 07:53 AM
Hi James - Yep, I agree with you 100% about this lens. Pound for pound it is probably one of the best Oly lenses available. I sold my 50-500mm because the IQ I was getting with this and the EC14 easily matched that of the Bigma.

jalanb
10th June 2010, 08:36 AM
......... I have just checked the firmware & its on 1.3, I would be grateful if someone could tell me if this is the latest firmware for the lens or not?.........:D

Showing my ignorance again but how do I tell what firmware is installed on a lens?

Alan

Ian
10th June 2010, 10:08 AM
Showing my ignorance again but how do I tell what firmware is installed on a lens?

Alan

It's the last option on the bottom wrench/spanner menu.

Ian

jalanb
10th June 2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks Ian.

Alan

Nick
10th June 2010, 03:13 PM
I just recieved mine as well. I've got a wedding sunday so i hope it performs well :)

theMusicMan
10th June 2010, 03:31 PM
I just recieved mine as well. I've got a wedding sunday so i hope it performs well :)Oooh... lovely lens though the 70-300mm is, it's very 'long' for a wedding...!!

Nick
10th June 2010, 05:28 PM
I'll mainly be using the 14-54 but I'm hoping the 70-300 should come in handy when everyone is in the gardens for some candids.

catkins
10th June 2010, 05:53 PM
Oooh... lovely lens though the 70-300mm is, it's very 'long' for a wedding...!!

Always good for the candids and speeches though!
And with the scrum of photographers found at most weddings it can be useful to find a high point and shoot over the heads of the adoring massess! I had a lot of fun with this lens at my niece's wedding last year and found it a great help in capturing close ups etc of the newly wed couple and various family and friends.

Regards
Chris

Ross the fiddler
11th June 2010, 01:58 PM
Always good for the candids and speeches though!
And with the scrum of photographers found at most weddings it can be useful to find a high point and shoot over the heads of the adoring massess! I had a lot of fun with this lens at my niece's wedding last year and found it a great help in capturing close ups etc of the newly wed couple and various family and friends.

Regards
Chris

It is useful for doing that so long as there is sufficient light, because it very disappointing after uploading your photos to find movement blur, otherwise the 14-54 is excellent for the rest.

Ross