PDA

View Full Version : Monopod questions

snaarman
22nd April 2010, 07:06 AM
I am considering buying a monopod (something I have never used before).
I am looking for advice from pod owners I guess.

So, here is my list of requrements and my questions...

It needs to double as a walking pole, and be light.
It needs to extend to a reasonable height (I am 6ft tall) yet collapse so that it isn't an encumberance.
I think it needs a tilt head (BTW - why would you need a pan and tilt head on a monopole?) and it needs a QR camera plate (why would you want your camera attached by screw, surely that's inconvenient?)
I don't think I want a footrest (what's the point??)

I don't have a fortune to spend, I would like good but cheap I guess. For example I have a splendid Manfrotto tripod in the Garage here. Built like a tank, solid as a rock, it was quite expensive, but its too heavy and I use it about twice a year. By contrast I've had this cheap Cobra aluminium and polycarbonate tripod that is not quite so rigid but light - so I use that a lot more :-)

Any comments and experiences you monopodophiles?

Pete

Ian
22nd April 2010, 07:19 AM
I have a Manfrotto 681 three section monopod and a 234RC quick release tilt head. I really wanted a 680 four section monopod (shorter when closed up) but I needed on quickly and the shop didn't have a 680 in stock.

Apart from the size when not in use, the 681 is a very fine monopod, as is the 234RC head.

Ian

snaarman
22nd April 2010, 07:31 AM
Hmm. I can see I will have to start researching this subject... 3 sections or 4 etc

I had a mad photo idea that could use a monopod. I wonder if anyone has tried this?

If you fit a wide angle lens on your E620, use its articulating screen and set live view and self timer.... Could you use the monopod and tilt head to take a top-down or overhead view of a scene by lifting the camera up above your head on top of the monopole to get the extra altitude?

Or is this a recipe for (a) looking like an idiot and (b) damaging said camera

:)
Pete

j.baker
22nd April 2010, 08:03 AM
I have three monopods.

The three section one is more sturdier, but longer. The four section one is smaller when collapsed.

I also use mine as a walking aid vwhen walking on rough grount. You can also get screw on knobs go on the top. Have a look at 7dayshop.com

forester
22nd April 2010, 08:31 AM
I have a Mafrotto 681 three section monopod and a 234RC quick release tilt head. I really wanted a 680 four section monopod (shorter when closed up) but I needed on quickly and the shop didn't have a 680 in stock.

Apart from the size when not in use, the 681 is a very fine monopod, as is the 234RC head.

Ian

Snap, I have the same, very sturdy also the quick release head very important, nothing worse trying to screw on the camera to the monopod to get a shot in.
I once had a cheap one that came from 7day shop, it fell apart, not with my camera on it, I lent it to a friend luckily he did not damage his camera.
Most of the major manufacturers will do what you want it is just personal choice, I chose Manfrotto but others may like another, but be wary of the cheapies.
*chr
Richard

skyman1
23rd April 2010, 08:38 AM
if you want a Manfrotto 679B about 30 you can get one free with digital camera magazine subscription at 39.99 for 13 issues
http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/store/displayitem.asp?sid=429&id=4296

Barrie Norman
23rd April 2010, 01:29 PM
I have the Manfrotto 676B with the 234Rc head it is a very good light sturdy monopod and the head makes a big difference this a four section and I use it as a walking stick especially when Im on rough ground.

snaarman
23rd April 2010, 01:36 PM
Hmm. Despite my aversion to spending too much dosh, it does look like Manfrotto is the way to go.

My Manfrotto 074 is a fantastically well made tripod and we use 075s at work - so I accept that a Manny monopod would be a good idea. Now I need to do my homework on the different models and their prices..

Pete

yorky
23rd April 2010, 05:10 PM
The manfortto's are very good especialy with the tilt head but check out the BenBo. I think that is only 2 sections.

Jim Ford
23rd April 2010, 07:13 PM
The manfortto's are very good especialy with the tilt head but check out the BenBo. I think that is only 2 sections.

Or get a more versatile 'Uniloc System' tripod. You can fix a leg to the center section to get a 2 meter monopod. I did this and hoisted the monopod over my head at arms length, to get this shot from about 4 meters high (I'm 6' 4"). The furthest away lock wouldn't have been visible without doing this.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/marsworth_stair_lock-1024.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/17154)

Jim

jdal
23rd April 2010, 07:24 PM
H...
I had a mad photo idea that could use a monopod. I wonder if anyone has tried this?

If you fit a wide angle lens on your E620, use its articulating screen and set live view and self timer.... Could you use the monopod and tilt head to take a top-down or overhead view of a scene by lifting the camera up above your head on top of the monopole to get the extra altitude?

Or is this a recipe for (a) looking like an idiot and (b) damaging said camera

:)
Pete

I wondered about doing that with the E-3 to get climbing photos from the top of the crag, sticking the cam 3 or 4 feet out so that you're kind of looking in towards the crag a bit. Then I came to my senses. The E-3 would bend the monopod, the whole rig would shake around and as sure as god made little apples I'd drop the thing, or smack it into the rock :eek:. But let us know how you get on *chr

forester
23rd April 2010, 07:33 PM
You would not catch me waving my E-30 on a stick with one of my SWD lenses on,:eek: for one my insurance would not like another claim :mad:and I value my Oly kit far to much
*chr
Richard

Jim Ford
23rd April 2010, 07:52 PM
The E-3 would bend the monopod, the whole rig would shake around

Not with a Uniloc - it's like a scaffolding pole!

Jim

peak4
28th April 2010, 06:02 AM
Pete, Just spotted This (http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=223882) up for grabs on Talk Photography.

No idea if it's a good price or what it is and not time to look as I'm off to work now.:(

Kiwi Paul
28th April 2010, 12:40 PM
That's the monopod I have, it's very good and only 3 sections meaning only 2 clamps so faster to deploy and packup.
That seems a very good deal too, a mag sub for a year and a free quality monopod.

Paul