PDA

View Full Version : ZD or ED?

baldyb
21st April 2010, 05:47 PM
I'm confused - not for the first time!

Could someone just please tell me what the difference is between this lens type and have any lenses changed classification (eg the 50mm macro is now labelled ED)?

I did a quick search through the old posts but probably didn't phrase the search correctly as I'm sure the answer would have been in there somewhere.

TIA

StephenL
21st April 2010, 05:52 PM
ZD stands for Zuiko Digital - and refers as much as anything to the mount, which of course is Four Thirds.

ED stands for Enhanced Dispersion (I think!) and simply refers to a coating on one or more elements of glass within a lens. Some lenses don't have any ED glass in them at all.

David M
21st April 2010, 10:20 PM
ED stands for Enhanced Dispersion (I think!) and simply refers to a coating on one or more elements of glass within a lens. Some lenses don't have any ED glass in them at all.

I thought it stood for Extra-low Dispersion glass.

photo_owl
22nd April 2010, 09:46 AM
ZD stands for Zuiko Digital - and refers as much as anything to the mount, which of course is Four Thirds.

ED stands for Enhanced Dispersion (I think!) and simply refers to a coating on one or more elements of glass within a lens.

Some lenses don't have any ED glass in them at all.

Logically we could see ZD lenses that are not Four Thirds - it happens that Zuiko Digital lenses are only currently made for 43 and m43.

As you go on to suggest - it's the actual glass that the elements are made from rather than a coating.

It can definitely be confusing when both Manufacturer websites and sales and reviews use different designations for the same lens though.