PDA

View Full Version : HDR Question

Ijay37
16th February 2008, 12:39 PM
Is it possible to take a correct raw exposure then develope a +/-2 exposure in your raw software to use in HDR. Hope this isn't a stupid question.:o
John

Meogeo
16th February 2008, 12:43 PM
Is it possible to take a correct raw exposure then develope a +/-2 exposure in your raw software to use in HDR. Hope this isn't a stupid question.:o
John

I have just been trying out the HDR software and that is what I presume you do to get a good HDR photo. I have taken a few pictures in my garden but I seem to be falling over when I try and allign the photo's, I am sure it will only be practice to make it come out right.

Nick Temple-Fry
16th February 2008, 12:45 PM
John

Yes - it is possible, particularly to recover some highlight information. Though it is not as good as taking seperate exposures, and you are (to a degree) re-inforcing noise.

Nick

Garrie
16th February 2008, 01:07 PM
John

Yup you can indeed. Photomatix will open 1 file raw and psuedo a HDR image from the 1 file, saving you a bit of the work.

However Nick is spot on, you may get a lot of noise.

Cheers
Garrie

Garrie
16th February 2008, 01:09 PM
I have just been trying out the HDR software and that is what I presume you do to get a good HDR photo. I have taken a few pictures in my garden but I seem to be falling over when I try and allign the photo's, I am sure it will only be practice to make it come out right.

You need to shot using a tripod for best results. It sounds like your trying to bracket 3 shots handheld?

BigD
16th February 2008, 01:47 PM
definatly use a tripod if you usin AEB as you'll find even the slighest movement will make the end result look terrible, and looking at it on the lcd you wont be able to tell to easly .

Meogeo
16th February 2008, 02:18 PM
You need to shot using a tripod for best results. It sounds like your trying to bracket 3 shots handheld?

Yes I was hand holding the camera, I am going to try with the tripod now that you have mentioned it.

Many thanks

Glyn R
18th February 2008, 09:08 PM
Yes I was hand holding the camera, I am going to try with the tripod now that you have mentioned it.

Many thanks

I don't believe it!!:D How can you align hand held images. You MUST use a tripod!! You can get very good results with a single RAW file if you develop +/- 2 stops or even +/-1. Personally I think Photomatix is rubbish.