PDA

View Full Version : inkjet costs

sapper
16th February 2008, 10:25 AM
Anyone know how to cost prints from an inkjet apart from usinf all the ink and dividing number of prints? I have searched google but no really helpful info.
Dave H.

j.baker
16th February 2008, 10:30 AM
What printer? Each manufacturer has their own manufactured inks. Some manufactures also have different ink volumes in their cartridges. Different manufactures have different drop sizes and different number of colour print heads.

You can also purchase the continuous ink systems for most printer these days.

Paper stock also affect the price and print quality.

You also need to factor in the cost of the original printer purchase.

Are you looking to sell photo to other people, and make sure that you cover your expenses?

Meogeo
16th February 2008, 10:30 AM
Check these prices and you will not want to use your Inkjet again.

http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/digital_photo_printing.cfm

j.baker
16th February 2008, 10:32 AM
FYI, I use photobox.co.uk. Very cheap.

The only downside to using external printing companies, is the colour calibration and quality. Tesco prints are some of the worst I have ever had done, Asda are slightly better.

ndl0071
16th February 2008, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the link, I assume you have used these chaps, what your experience been? quality etc.

Thanks
Neil

Meogeo
16th February 2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the link, I assume you have used these chaps, what your experience been? quality etc.

Thanks
Neil

I picked the address off another forum, whom the person who posted it stated he was more than happy with the quality.

I for one will be using them for A3 and A4 prints. At 99pence what is there to lose.

sapper
16th February 2008, 12:19 PM
What printer? Each manufacturer has their own manufactured inks. Some manufactures also have different ink volumes in their cartridges. Different manufactures have different drop sizes and different number of colour print heads.

This is true but does not answer my question. I looked at the HP site (my printer is the HP Pro B 9180) but there is only info re how they measure yield. http://www.hp.com/pageyield/articles/uk/en/GeneralInkjetYieldArticle.html

You can also purchase the continuous ink systems for most printer these days.
Yes I know but need to use HP inks 'cos I need the 200 year certified life and want the best quality I can get as I will be selling the prints.

Paper stock also affect the price and print quality.
I know.

You also need to factor in the cost of the original printer purchase.

Are you looking to sell photo to other people, and make sure that you cover your expenses?
See above.
Dave.

sapper
16th February 2008, 12:22 PM

Oh yes I will. It does cost more to produce my own prints but that is 'cos I want total control over my work.
I do use photobox for small prints, they are good.
Dave

j.baker
16th February 2008, 01:01 PM
Sapper,

Something else to consider is the type of prints needed. The amount of each colour on a page, the resolution.

If your pinter has a network cable and web interface, login. My K550 has a usage page and myPrintMileage options. You can then estimate approx costs.

I dont know how I have further help you, other than I suggest you try emailing or calling HP. They may be able to give you more information.

Jim Ford
16th February 2008, 01:06 PM
A continuous ink system has transformed my printing on an Epson Stylus Photo 895. I'd just about abandoned using the printer because of the waste of ink through blockages/air-bubbles when changing cartridges. Most of the ink seemed to end up as waste before I could start printing!

The one I bought was from www.inkjetrevolution.com and it works fine.

Jim

PeterD
16th February 2008, 02:02 PM
Oh yes I will. It does cost more to produce my own prints but that is 'cos I want total control over my work.
I do use photobox for small prints, they are good.
Dave

Dave,

I have been through the process of questioning if a personal photo printer is worthwhile or whether I should just send them off to a lab for processing. The conclusion I reached was the same as you. I have just recently purchased the B9180gp which includes the monitor calibration kit. I am now free to make a mess of or, hopefully, get the best out of my camera images. So far the printer has performed exceptionally well.

Getting back to your point regarding ink usage. I also have the HP Officejet L7680 Printer (my wife's actually!). The firmware in this printer allows the calculation of the number of remaing pages based on past use.
It would seem that this same feature would be a great benifit to users.
I am going to e-mail HP with this suggestion and see what they think. Any other method of calculating photo printer ink usage would be as academic as - how long is a piece of string?

I shall let you know the outcome.

Kind regards

PeterD

sapper
16th February 2008, 06:44 PM
Dave,

I have been through the process of questioning if a personal photo printer is worthwhile or whether I should just send them off to a lab for processing. The conclusion I reached was the same as you. I have just recently purchased the B9180gp which includes the monitor calibration kit. I am now free to make a mess of or, hopefully, get the best out of my camera images. So far the printer has performed exceptionally well.

Getting back to your point regarding ink usage. I also have the HP Officejet L7680 Printer (my wife's actually!). The firmware in this printer allows the calculation of the number of remaing pages based on past use.
It would seem that this same feature would be a great benifit to users.
I am going to e-mail HP with this suggestion and see what they think. Any other method of calculating photo printer ink usage would be as academic as - how long is a piece of string?

I shall let you know the outcome.

Kind regards

PeterD

Thanks Peter, I await with interest.
Dave.

PeterD
16th February 2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks Peter, I await with interest.
Dave.

Dave,

The following message was sent to the CEO (after much searching I found that suggestions are to be made to him direct) about an hour after my mail in this thread.
I have recently purchased two HP printers HP Office jet Pro L7680 and HP B9180gp. I am delighted with the performance of both printers.
May I make a suggestion regarding the B9180? The old question keeps coming up about how many pages the current ink cartridges can print, based on previous printing. I note that the L7680 gives this information but the B9180 does not. Can a firmware update be developed to answer these questions? It would be a real plus point for your printer users.
Thanking you for giving me this opportunity to make this suggestion.
Kind regards
PeterD
Lets see what response this gives.
PeterD

sapper
16th February 2008, 08:09 PM
What is the HP B9180gp? Is it the Photosmart Pro B 9180?
Dave.

PeterD
16th February 2008, 08:17 PM
What is the HP B9180gp? Is it the Photosmart Pro B 9180?
Dave.

Dave,

Yes it is but it also includes the monitor calibrator as part of the package (hence the gp suffix). Excellant value.

See http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/5043-5683-5807-5807-12330446-12330474-72791809.html

I paid considerably less for this setup from Amazon.

PeterD

sapper
16th February 2008, 09:03 PM
Dave,

Yes it is but it also includes the monitor calibrator as part of the package (hence the gp suffix). Excellant value.

See http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/5043-5683-5807-5807-12330446-12330474-72791809.html

I paid considerably less for this setup from Amazon.

PeterD

Ah..... I already got Spyder which is good. I do like the printer, best ever I reckon.
Dave.

sapper
26th February 2008, 11:24 AM
Dave,

The following message was sent to the CEO (after much searching I found that suggestions are to be made to him direct) about an hour after my mail in this thread.
I have recently purchased two HP printers HP Office jet Pro L7680 and HP B9180gp. I am delighted with the performance of both printers.
May I make a suggestion regarding the B9180? The old question keeps coming up about how many pages the current ink cartridges can print, based on previous printing. I note that the L7680 gives this information but the B9180 does not. Can a firmware update be developed to answer these questions? It would be a real plus point for your printer users.
Thanking you for giving me this opportunity to make this suggestion.
Kind regards
PeterD
Lets see what response this gives.
PeterD

Peter D.
I went to Focus on Imaging yesterday and Epson had the cost of prints on displayed prints so I just went online and chatted to an HP person.
Approx cost of A3+ canvas = 100 for 25 sheets. Fine art paper slightly less. Thats printing at best quality setting.(Canvas 65.58 for 25 sheets, Fine art, 54.00 for 25)
So around four quid a print.
Must say the canvas prints do look the business.:)
Epson was cheaper.
Dave.

PeterD
26th February 2008, 11:31 AM
Peter D.
I went to Focus on Imaging yesterday and Epson had the cost of prints on displayed prints so I just went online and chatted to an HP person.
Approx cost of A3+ canvas = 100 for 25 sheets. Fine art paper slightly less. Thats printing at best quality setting.(Canvas 65.58 for 25 sheets, Fine art, 54.00 for 25)
So around four quid a print.
Must say the canvas prints do look the business.:)
Epson was cheaper.
Dave.

Thanks for the update Dave.

The only problem that I have experienced with Epson Printers is the need to go through cleaning cycles frequently to unblock nozzles. I am pretty sure that they will have not factored this in to their print costs as it depends printer to printer and the amount of use it gets. I do like the output of the Epson printers though.

It would be nice to get an answer to my query as this will give the best guide available and would include such nasties as head cleaning.

PeterD

sapper
26th February 2008, 12:23 PM
I have used both Epson and HP printers and both are good. What swung it for me this time was the lack of need for removal o cartridges when using black/white. I think that was the difference.
Certainly with the HP there is no need to change cartridges until they are empty.
Dave.

Jim Ford
26th February 2008, 12:28 PM
The only problem that I have experienced with Epson Printers is the need to go through cleaning cycles frequently to unblock nozzles.

I had the same problem. Every time I changed a cartridge lots of ink was wasted in cleaning cycles. This was pretty well cured when I bought a CIS (Continuous Inking System). I very rarely need to run a cleaning cycle now.

I don't think the problem is so much the nozzles getting blocked with dried ink, as air bubbles/air locks being introduced when changing the cartridge, which have to be purged.

Jim

Ian
26th February 2008, 12:55 PM
Anyone know how to cost prints from an inkjet apart from usinf all the ink and dividing number of prints? I have searched google but no really helpful info.
Dave H.

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately you are asking how long a piece of string is. Each print will use a different amount if ink. You can build up a statistical model of the usage of the ink over many prints by noting the print sizes and calculating the area covered over the life time of a set of inks.

That in itself is a challenge as the ink cartridges don't all run out at the same time, so you need to note when each cartridge expires and to calculate the coverage of each cartridge individually. Some cartridges will cover a greater area than others and some will be used more quickly than others.

If that's not bad enough, not all the ink is printed, but used in cleaning cycles, though the B9180 does recycle some of this.

Does that help? :rolleyes:

Ian

Ian
26th February 2008, 12:56 PM
I have used both Epson and HP printers and both are good. What swung it for me this time was the lack of need for removal o cartridges when using black/white. I think that was the difference.
Certainly with the HP there is no need to change cartridges until they are empty.
Dave.

That's quite right. And each time a cartridge is changed, ink from all the cartridges may be used in the required head flushing procedure that accompanies cartridge changes.

Ian

shenstone
26th February 2008, 06:51 PM
HP do a nice webpage that approximates the cost of printing on their various printers

http://www.hp.com/sbso/productivity/color/print_cost_calc.html

Obviously this is a sales pitch and therefore I will presume that they used the cheapest papers available and the prices are USD so in the usual IT world they need to be doubled for GBP.

I would just presume these overed consumables and add a paper cost myself to be on the safe side

Other manufacturers may have the same sory of page, but I'm HP so have never looked

Regards
Andy

beardedwombat
26th February 2008, 07:25 PM
That's quite right. And each time a cartridge is changed, ink from all the cartridges may be used in the required head flushing procedure that accompanies cartridge changes.

Ian
Getting off subject a bit (apologies!) I currently use a Canon Pixma iP5200 with which I have been very pleased. My previous, previous printer was an HP, can't remember the model, but I got rid of it when I found ink had leaked all over the filing cabinet on which it stood. It seems this was due to ink build-up from the cleaning and flushing cycle. All printers, including my Canon, regularly perform similar cycles and I want to know where the ink goes! Does it just evaporate or is there a means of disposing of it? As far as I am aware, no mention is made of this in instruction books etc.
Cheers
Chris