PDA

View Full Version : Hello All newbie here

scanny
15th February 2008, 10:59 PM
Hi all

Im a newbie to this forum, ive been on before but always used four thirds user until now so thought id jump ships.

Im a postgrad student currently staying at Uni and caught the photography bug when my parent offered to buy me a dslr for graduating in July last summer. I ended up getting myself the e400 kit and picked up the 40-150mm with it. ive since got an E1 and it is great, far nicer than my friend D80! and a snip of the price. Much to the parents dismay ive gone for a bigma 50-500mm and upgraded to the ZD 14-54 along with sigma 18-125mm. I convinced myself i needed a flash so an fl 50 was bought. A nice orange pelican case to keep most of it in and the insurers happy to!

Enjoying learning and having fun long may it continue

Meogeo
15th February 2008, 11:01 PM
Hi there Scanny and welcome.

Hope you enjoy your stay, great people on here any problems ask away I am sure the senior members will help you out.

Scapula Memory
15th February 2008, 11:09 PM
Welcome on board Scanny, there is quite a few of us here using the old dinosaur known as E1 with a 14-54 bolted on :) 5 mp of the very best..... look forward to your pics.

Barr1e
15th February 2008, 11:15 PM
Hi -

Welcome.

Will we see you here? http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=865

Regards. Barr1e

scanny
19th February 2008, 03:31 PM
Ah i may give it a go, lovely snap of weather up here just now nice an crisp. Now for a refelection hmmm.....

theMusicMan
19th February 2008, 03:36 PM
Hi there Scanny and welcome.

Hope you enjoy your stay, great people on here any problems ask away I am sure the senior members will help you out.
:D do we have senior members... :confused: apart from the daft ranks that is.

Everyone can help... the rank means very little, or that I have too much time to burn on here :)

Jim
19th February 2008, 04:23 PM
Not senior members more like senior moments :D

Welcome Scanny.

PeterD
19th February 2008, 06:38 PM
Hi all

Im a newbie to this forum, ive been on before but always used four thirds user until now so thought id jump ships.

Im a postgrad student currently staying at Uni and caught the photography bug when my parent offered to buy me a dslr for graduating in July last summer. I ended up getting myself the e400 kit and picked up the 40-150mm with it. ive since got an E1 and it is great, far nicer than my friend D80! and a snip of the price. Much to the parents dismay ive gone for a bigma 50-500mm and upgraded to the ZD 14-54 along with sigma 18-125mm. I convinced myself i needed a flash so an fl 50 was bought. A nice orange pelican case to keep most of it in and the insurers happy to!

Enjoying learning and having fun long may it continue

Welcome scanny,
You have come to the right place.

Now, we were recently discussing getting extra reach for nature photography. I note you own a bigma.........can you tell us about your experience with it please?

Cheers

PeterD

scanny
19th February 2008, 07:48 PM
Hi peter

I do have a bigma, i bought it as a too good to be true deal after looking at getting a 135-400 sigma. I find the lens to be excellent to use, its my first experience with ultra telephoto but after some percevirance it produce excellent results. I posted up some examples on Chris's (captainD) thread.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=897

There hasnt been much time to play with it over the past few months but on the occasions ive had it out its surprised me how good the results are. In low light it can still freeze motion (the picture of the stena ship in my bucket was getting on for sunset and it was moving at 50mph!). Ill put up a few more of birds ive photographed on a trip to feed the swans (uni gets pretty boaring sometimes!). I can handhold and shoot flying birds with a little help from higher iso but i would recomend a monopod to save your arms on a day out. If you check a well known auction site they are going for £400-500 just now, a bargin and definatly worth the price tag, even at full price i would find it good value. Incidentally im in central scotland if anyone is thinking about getting one and wants to try one out before comitting to purchasing.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v249/scannee/A%20%20Few%20Pictures/

Steve

PeterD
19th February 2008, 08:39 PM
Steve

Thanks for posting your links and your reply. Looks like the Bigma is a possibility. I have the 70-300 lens and need more reach to overcome the handicap of having my dog with me;)

My first consideration is either the EC 1.4 or EC 2.0 in cunjunction with the lens. The only issue with this combination is the fl will start at 98m or 140mm depending on the option fitted. It would be nice to start at 50mm.

Cheers

PeterD

CaptainD
19th February 2008, 09:52 PM
Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard, its nice to have you on the forum. I hope to have a working Bigma soon following our conversation I actually started to think my example had a problem which Sigma UK are currently fixing. I hope you are cointinuing your fine work with the E-1 following your party incident.

Cheers

Chris

j.baker
19th February 2008, 09:55 PM
Greetings and salutations. Welcome to the mad house.

sidy2001
19th February 2008, 10:10 PM
Welcome to the best forum for e-system users from another newbe.

Cherrs Sid

Ellie
22nd February 2008, 05:10 PM
Hi there Scanny, and welcome from me too. :)

angelpaaul
22nd February 2008, 06:23 PM
Hi Scanny and welcome from me too

Paul

scanny
11th March 2008, 08:14 PM
Treated myself to a ZD50-200 courtasy of haisbro on here, along with a ZD50mm from Ian kerr (£260,what a price). The step up in quality is brilliant, any excuse to get out and use them has been taken. In the ran today chasing after deer , it was fun. The E1 with grip certainly comes into it own with the 50-200 on, it all just feels "right". Well balanced and not a problem to handhold as i thought it would be

blu-by-u
12th March 2008, 07:26 AM
From a newbie to another, Welcome. :D

knikki
12th March 2008, 09:12 AM
Waves from the back of the class

Hello welcome to the forum