PDA

View Full Version : Photos through water

Chippy
13th April 2010, 11:11 AM
I am going to try and take some shots of my mates Koi Crap. He says the water is really clear but should I be using some kind of filter or particular F stops or shutter speeds

Any advice will be greatly recived

wanderer
13th April 2010, 11:43 AM
A polarising filter should get rid of reflections and give quite a good shot but from above. An underwater housing is also a possibility.
If it were me I would try this;

Your friend will probably be very proud of his Koi and may have a tank into which he places them occasionally for viewing, vet stuff, etc.
Make sure the glass of the tank is clean to eliminate dust specks.
Use it with a black cloth draped behind and placed with a good side light.
Set the camera up on a tripod level with the tank and use a polariser. Use a Lastolite reflector or similar to provide a fill in on the oppposite side to the main light.
The movement of the fish is the governor on shutter speed which then governs everything else.
As you will be photographing at relatively close range I would suggest F8 to get all the fish sharp.
You should then get a fine study of the fish as if you were beside it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
*chr

Shaw
13th April 2010, 11:47 AM
I am going to try and take some shots of my mates Koi Crap. He says the water is really clear but should I be using some kind of filter or particular F stops or shutter speeds
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Any advice will be greatly recived

Koi Crap? The fish themselves would probably make a better subject. Lol

E-3
13th April 2010, 12:00 PM
Dont tell your mate that you think his fish are crap! :D

Nick Temple-Fry
13th April 2010, 12:05 PM
Koi Crap? The fish themselves would probably make a better subject. Lol

Koi Crap - isn't that the anglers expression when the fish get dumped in the canal.

Nick

Chippy
13th April 2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info
I am sorry about the spelling using IE7 instaed of Firefox which spell checks for me and also I should re-read what I post before posting it

BobS
13th April 2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info
I am sorry about the spelling using IE7 instaed of Firefox which spell checks for me and also I should re-read what I post before posting it

Hi Chippy, since both carp and crap are in the dictionary, they would be accepted! Re-reading is probably a better idea. However, there are many mis-spelt words in our offerings as we hasten to publish our thoughts in these forums.

Good luck with your photographs.

Bob*chr